Bootcamp - Sept 2021

Cassel

Carole/Cassel: I've been tweaking this so much I thought I'd post it again, especially since I have a question. I have tried to select an area where I want to flood fill with a different color but the flood fill does nothing. I had to resort to the paintbrush, which worked, so I don't think there was something wrong with my selection. So, what gives with my flood-fill? It happened with 2 separate designs. Here's the revised Flower Bros. - I had forgotten to put an element in the top corner of the photo frame. So here you go..

Ann, there are a few possibilities to explain the Flood fill tool to "not work">

do you have the area selected? If not, maybe there is a tiny selection that prevents you from filling where you want. If that is the case, Deselect (Ctrl-D) and select that area

what is the mode for the Flood fill tool? Set it to None for best results.

what is the Blend mode? Occasionally, it could have changed to Paint Behind. Change it to Normal.

do you have the correct layer active? If not, it might be filling somewhere else.

My guess in your situation would be option #2.

When looking back at all the Bootcamp classes, I learned so many new ways of using the tools in PSP: Layer options,  applying different shadows, using guidelines, pinking shears effect, kerning, aligning text, wraparound text in a selection box, frames around photos, converting vector layers to rasters in order to use effects, etc.  Thank you Carole for all these very helpful lessons and tips. I loved everyone's posted projects with their kind and helpful comments.

Last lesson, Day 11, The Great American Pickleball Marathon. The text reads: "

Do you remember where you were 20 years ago?

Most of you likely were not on a Pickleball court.. I certainly wasn’t. I was in my first grade class.. until about 10am when I was sent home.

My 6 year old mind couldn’t quite comprehend the magnitude of what had happened. My life , directly at least, didn’t seem to change much.. but thousands of lives changed forever.

What I did notice , were the years of patriotism, unity. For a time, it seemed (at least to my privileged eyes) that politics and divisiveness took a back seat to the Stars and Stripes .

I grew up in a city and decade where I was proud to be an American . The past few years that sentiment has seemed to have faded a bit.

Now, there are plenty of challenges facing our country: differing views of progress, social justice and equality , a pandemic , wealth inequality, distrust in our government, the list goes on.. but I’m optimistic and hope that tomorrow , WE (as Pickleball players) can set aside our differences , and focus on our similarities.

Let’s remember that infamous day 20 years ago. Let’s use that memory and our love for Pickleball to unite us.

Take a minute out of your day tomorrow and go to

www.bmwopb.com

and join us in our great American Pickleball Marathon supporting the Wounded Blue and First Responders .

Paddles up , America !"

Photo is of soldiers and firemen hanging a flag from the roof of the Pentagon. I found it on the web.

Wanda, maybe what you can do is to move the shadow of the top "handle" of the clip a little to the right.

Nadine, yes, guides can be very useful for many tasks. They are your friends. Good job on the shadows.

Anita,  glad you learned something again, in this Bootcamp.

Laurie, have you considered trying to use a lifted shadow on the butterfly?

Bonnie, touching tribute. At first, when I read your text, I could not understand that 20 years ago you were only 6 years old, until I read the text on the page seeing it was quoted from someone else.

Marie, did you use the guides to size the paw prints evenly? For your project 1, the frame might need some shadowing to stand out from the background. At the same time, the holly leaves on the top right will also need some. Having no shadows on the trees is perfect though as they look like they are painted.

Last project:  Project in 2020.  Picture's frame is picture tube- sand; paper squares are mine midified with hue & saturation adjustment; star picture tube for the scatter, Title is Cooper Black Oul BT; narrative is Arial Black; wheelbarrow, gloves and bucket are from PS Gina Jones and Marisa Lerin.  Had fun - interesting trying to make a frame from a picture tube.

Cassel, that's funny you said creepy.  There is a Mr. Lube business I drive by that puts funny quotes on their sign each month.  One month it said:  "I was looking through the blinds at my neighbour....he's so creepy".  So I had a good laugh at your comment.

Thank you for clearing up what kerning is and how to use it.