Bootcamp - Sept 2021

Cassel

Hi All,

I used a kit from one of our Teachers friends : Kit : " Fall in love " kit Novembrer 2019 Blog for the download:

https://lady22.eklablog.com

thank for CU :

- lady22

- Marisa Lerin

- Jessica Dunn

Thank you.   Also I used my paper on the top to Bruce needed more glitters, and a few tube hearts.   Bruce was my last

rescue, all his homes fell through and I was so upset for him.  But he found his home with me, I spent all the money

on him to be in great shape for someone.  I didn't know it would be me, hes worth million times what I spent on him.

Hes my baby I understand his bad things because he was really made for me, I named him because he is one

tough Dog, my landlady called him killer, but hes really CUJO lol but a lap one lol   Thank you Cassel this is the most

fun Ive had doing this, so thankful for finding You.   Love the new Scripts in the Campus store!

Hugs Anne hey everyone has one last time to vote for #5, Cassels lil Grandbaby, plz vote now.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/.../cutest-kid-photo-1.9891246...

Connie, that is quite original work to turn the N into a connection between the two photos!

Cindy, you did a great job with that kit. I suspect you stretched the confetti scatters though because they are oval instead of round.

Colin, sticking close to the project in the tutorial is totally ok. You have to start somewhere, and over time, you will feel more comfortable to change things. In the bootcamp, it is easier for me when I can recognize the "basic layout" so I know what lesson was done, but I see that you already are creating something on your own, so it is showing that you are getting more comfortable. Keep it up.

Pirkko, this community has been fantastic from the start. That is where we have met so many friends from all over the world (or sometimes closer than we thought).

Susan, that is exactly how you would typically do: add, remove, hide, unhide. I do the same too. Even if you were to try to scraplift another project, you will still do it! Do you realize how easy this is to do with PSP, unlike paper scrapbooking?

Ann, creating stripes directly from photos will ensure that it is perfectly matching!

Bonnie, did some of the Campus gremlins decide to move to your place?

Wanda, what would you do differently if you did that layout in "your style"?

Mary, the title, the plaid and the stripes made from the colors of the rope really make that layout pop! I think you might have forgotten one shadow on the yellow tab on the bottom. And by the way, if a post seems to disappear, just drop me an email as it was stuck in the spam filter.

Carole, that yellow tab on the bottom is actually the bottom on the yellow ribbon.  Unfortunately, before I did the shadows on them, I merged them - I guess because it is shorter than the other two, it didn't get a shadow.  I had tried linking them to move them, but it didn't work for me.  So, I knew that if I merged them, I could move them together.  I also had tried grouping them so that I could move them - that would have let me move them together.  However, I guess I don't understand how to group elements together.  I get grouping for a mask, but not grouping elements together.

Thanks, Cassel! I realized I forgot to "deckle" the edges of my background paper as shown in the tutorial. But when I opened the file, I found I'd overwritten my original with the 600x600 version. Argh. It's good practice to go back and try to remember how I got to where I ended up the first time. One of the steps I couldn't reproduce very well was the manual colour corrections I did on the two photos to make them a similar sepia. Oh well - live and learn! Here's my second version with holes punched along the edge of the newspaper strip.

Here is my Day 9 - Project 4. For the base I made my own paper so it would blend in well with the green in my photographs.  The brown paper and striped paper is from Digital Scrabbook. (Marisa Lerin. and Sheila Reed). I used the colors from my photo to make the red small paper strip and then used the yellow from the Stripes paper for the yellow small paper strip. Elements and scatters  are from Digital Scrabbook, (Marisa Lerin and Janet Kemp). This project was a lot of fun and I loved the new effects for the text tool.  I also enjoyed learning how to do cut-outs by using the eraser tool. I never knew one could do the the pinking shears effect in PPS. Thank you Carol for these Bootcamps. Even though this is my second time, I always learn something new and also get a chance to practice what I learned.

https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/

Helen, I don't want to put you off, but may  I make  a couple of suggestions, which may help you  like your page more.  For the  text, I would use an easy to read  calligraphy font, and not necessarily in black, choose a colour from  the photo.   Make the photo much larger, if that is possible.  The photo doesn't have to be in the  centre of the page either.  I  often like to use rule of thirds, when it comes to the layout.  But that's just me. The paw prints are a little over powering, try  making them smaller.  Try using one of the blend modes on the paw  prints.  Possibly cut out the text on the paw prints, or use white.  These are all suggestions, for you to play around with.  We all have different styles and tastes, at the end of the day you are the creator.  It's trial and error  until you establish a style of your own which you are happy with, and reflects your personality, and who you are. I look forward to seeing what changes you  may make.

I'm a  little behind with my posting, a busy couple of days.  I used filter forge to create the background paper.  I updated  Filter forge, after the great deal Carole obtained for us, after the master class:  Using Filter Forge.  I won  the  much older version I had in one of  Carole's challenges.  I can't remember which challenge it was though.

Holy WOW Sue!  that's stunning.  I love those colors.  I love geese.  We lived on a flight path to the local (very small) pond, in Chilliwack, BC.  Our windows got pelleted but we didn't care, the low flying geese were awesome.  That little pond got well over 800 geese, ducks and many different waterfowl.  Hubby and I would go around dinner to watch them all take off for the farm fields for the night.  We and a random stranger (who came everyday for the same reason) counted the groups as they took off.  We stopped counting at approx. 800.  I'd go in the mornings to watch the landings too.  There was also the smaller cackling geese.  Best memories for me, I miss it.  In Alberta they are too far out in farm fields to be attainable.  In Chilliwack you walked amongst them as it was a small neighbourhood park, with nests right beside the foot path and a geese sitting on them, not even a bit concerned about the people walking by.   Beautiful layout that take me down memory lane.

Ann, thanks for explaining how you did it.  I never thought of using Hue/Saturation. I'm sure I've seen Carole do it in tutorials but forgot.  I wondered how people keep "changing" the color on a paper and still keep the texture of the paper.  they must be using hue/saturation.  Boy, my head is sure "thick" sometimes.

Helen, we have all been there,  as Carole has repeatedly said, we were all beginners. Take some time to look at  other  creators work, take notes of what has caught your eye,  and  implement  them in your  pages,  you'll soon establish what  you like.   We all get times, when we draw a bank, for me  I walk away, go outside, I them come back to my project with a fresh look. Never hesitate to ask any of us for any assistance,  no matter how trivial it may seem.

Thank you Susan for your kind words on my goose page.  I live slap bang  between Luck Lake, and Lake Diefenbaker.  As the crow flies,  2 miles  from Luck Lake, and 7 miles from LD.   Luck Lake is a huge man made Lake,  by Ducks Unlimited.  They have now washed their hands of it, and is no longer  maintained, yet it hosts up to 11 million  water birds every Autumn.  It's a popular  migratory  temporary stop   off for the birds.  You can imagine, the sight and sound  I have every morning and evening when they are migrating.

Ann!  Thank You!  This is what I've been looking for.  I wanted something that has true Cyan, Magenta, Yellow from which all other colors are made.  Now to learn how to put the hex codes in.  Why can't they just do codes with Hue formula the way the paper processor did in my film processing days, would be so much easier. I am hoping to input the exact amounts of CMY.   Also, this will go along with Carole's PDF tutorial on the Hex codes.

Sue, I would love those sounds.  You live in the best place.  11 million is mind boggling.  Do you see pelicans too?  does it get crazy with birders from all over the world there?  It must be an incredibly humbling experience to see the magnificence of nature.

Here is my work for Project 5

paper is from Hot Cocoa-January Blog Train Freebie from Sscraps - I colored it a little bit. And the photo is mine and the tubes.

Done Project 5 - now I can go back to all those chores that have been piling up! It's so easy to get kinda obsessed. I added all the parts of the lesson to bevel my "lumber" framing device, use guides to line the pieces up and flip them around horizontally and vertically, use a frame around my photo and substitute a letter in the title with an element. I added a block of text using a selection rectangle to keep it justified and confined. The lovely wreath element is called Kendra_frame_round.png but I've lost the source. Everything else is from Soniasscraps, Katie Pertiet and pixelscrapper.

Hello all,

Looks like I'm the first to put Project 5 in the forum, do hate being the first.

I found the photo and the frame online. I didn't use a bevel I tried but the inside bevel ended up on the outer edge of the frame, I gave up on that. I've used bevels before and they have worked ok. I managed to get a promoted layer again, it seems to occur when I ctrl "C" a selection; but it all worked out in the end.

A thank you to Ann Seeber that colour chart will come in handy. I didn't realise that I had used the artist colour wheel as shown by the diamond shape in the middle of the ring.

This is it the big reveal hope I didn't make a pigs ear of it and again I followed the design of the tutorial.

Not the first after all, relief

Project 3 catching up.  Tried to make my plaid match her skirt.  Used the glitter Carole posted for the mat under the photos.  Not sure where I got the bird graphic and I drew the giraffe years ago using a pattern open beside my canvas.  My Grand daughter posted the photos on Facebook so not the best quality.  The main background I used a Filter Forge texture as an overlay over another layer of the brown color.  Lilly is giving the turtle a hug not trying to choke it.  LOL

Carole you ask me what is my style.  That is a hard question but I can tell you what I do.  I open a photo I want to use and my inspiration will come from that photo.  I have always had a problem when I try to go by a layout someone else has created.  One reason why I keep taking this class over and over is to try to force myself to accomplish that.  So far it is not working.  This is a lifelong problem for me.  I seem to freeze up when ask to work on an assembly line so to speak.

I do learn something or relearn it each time I do a class though.  For instance in the project 5 video, I believe, you said use the move tool after locking the layers together that you want to move together.  I rarely use the move tool so I guess that is why it always frustrates me that even though locked things refuse to move together.