Calendar Workshop 2025

Cassel

Here is my march after days 1 2 3  I went with font am-intex for the first letter and Lucida Calligraphy italic (that I plan to make more italic but forgot to do that before saving it) for the rest.   I also see I need to extend by lavender background a bit, or I assume that is why the left side is not right.

My 2025-03. March.jpg 6.jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

@Cassel I have a question about the templates. The mask group seems odd in that the PHOTO HERE layer must be retained as it contains the design which underlays the frame. First time I've ever seen that. In the past you've advised to hide it or delete it, but you can't with these.  Also, the font Arial is displayed in POINTS rather than PIXELS on the templates. I get some odd size reactions when changing the font for the name of the month. Your videos show you using pixels, but they come out way too small on my PSP2023.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

@Cassel I have a question about the templates. The mask group seems odd in that the PHOTO HERE layer must be retained as it contains the design which underlays the frame. First time I've ever seen that. In the past you've advised to hide it or delete it, but you can't with these.  Also, the font Arial is displayed in POINTS rather than PIXELS on the templates. I get some odd size reactions when changing the font for the name of the month. Your videos show you using pixels, but they come out way too small on my PSP2023.

I have noticed that too Ann and thought it was strange.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

PHOTO HERE simply means to activate that layer to add your photo (which will be pasted just above it). That layer does not contain anything other than black so that you can see the effect of the mask above it. You can change it to any color if you want to see the impact. I could have chosen any other color than black. It is just for "visibility" purpose.

I am not sure what you mean by not being able to hide/delete that layer. I know PSP2023 has been a bit picky in that.

For the title size, which one are you looking at? Mine show in Pixels. It should be 200 pixels, but you can also adjust that based on the font you will use. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Ann with regard to the font being in points, all you need to do is to highlight the font and change to pixels if you prefer to work with pixels, as most of us do. All of mine are showing Bold pixels.  I don't quite understand what you are meaning when you say you delete the Photo here layer.  That layer can't and must not be deleted, it is needed.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3

Hi All,

I could use some help with the Day 3 instructions. I am using PSP 2023 and I cannot select the Month as shown in the video. I bring a calendar blank into PSP and click on the Month layer. I open that month layer group so that both are selected and blue. Then I click on the T for text and the entire month (May in this case) is selected in a Pick box  (see Image Text 1). I have to double click on box to get rid of it. Then a vertical bar appears as in 'Text 2' but I cannot select the whole month or a single letter. 

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Text 2.JPEG

Text 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Art Kuiper said:

Hi All,

I could use some help with the Day 3 instructions. I am using PSP 2023 and I cannot select the Month as shown in the video. I bring a calendar blank into PSP and click on the Month layer. I open that month layer group so that both are selected and blue. Then I click on the T for text and the entire month (May in this case) is selected in a Pick box  (see Image Text 1). I have to double click on box to get rid of it. Then a vertical bar appears as in 'Text 2' but I cannot select the whole month or a single letter. 

Text 2.JPEG

Text 1.jpg

Art, go to the vector layer, and open it. Double click on the layer below, and the the bar showing in the screen shot will appear, you will then be able to edit that text.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Art Kuiper said:

One thing to remember is that when you highlight the text, it will show a grey background. Unfortunately (that would be on me) it is the same grey as the background.

One alternative is to Select All (Ctrl-A) as soon as you see the cursor appear. That will select the whole word and you can edit it.

But if you change the background color, it might show the highlighted text easier.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

PHOTO HERE simply means to activate that layer to add your photo (which will be pasted just above it). That layer does not contain anything other than black so that you can see the effect of the mask above it. You can change it to any color if you want to see the impact. I could have chosen any other color than black. It is just for "visibility" purpose.

I am not sure what you mean by not being able to hide/delete that layer. I know PSP2023 has been a bit picky in that.

For the title size, which one are you looking at? Mine show in Pixels. It should be 200 pixels, but you can also adjust that based on the font you will use. 

Here's an example of the strange effect from the mask group. I merged the mask/frame group and added a flowery paper as the background, under the group. As you can see, the paper ends up showing on TOP of the frame?? I decided to use a fill instead for May but I've used papers on my other months.

Image6.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 2
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's an example of the strange effect from the mask group. I merged the mask/frame group and added a flowery paper as the background, under the group. As you can see, the paper ends up showing on TOP of the frame?? I decided to use a fill instead for May but I've used papers on my other months.

Oh, I think i see what you mean. You put the image in the central part of the mask, leaving the grey sections partially transparent. That means that the background paper will show through that transparency. Is that possible? 

• Like 4

@Susan EwartMinimalism looks great to focus on those lovely flowers.

@Sue Thomas You have the most photogenic models of all!

@MoniqueN. I think that we will have many more projects posted as the workshop gets closer to the end since all the tutorials will have been demonstrated. Looking forward to yours.

@Ann Seeber When using fancy glyphs on single characters, I noticed occasionally that it SEEMS to add a space, which can just be removed manually. Other times, I need to adjust the Kerning for that one character. I don't know if it is the case for yours, but something to check, just in case. I like those subtle papers you are using.

@Mary Solaas Have you considered centering the days of the week instead of aligning them to the left? I am not 100% sure, but I wonder if it would make them a little more balanced? Maybe not.

@Anne Lamp It is possible that the layers had been slightly shifted before saving them on my end, which might explain why some pages show a little line on the edge. At least, it is easy to fix by expanding the mask layer a tiny bit.

@Corrie Kinkel Hopefully, you will still have enough time to complete your pages and get them printed in time for the holidays.

@Donna Sillia On your February page, the decorative flower on the bottom corner has its light source coming from the right. Flip it horizontally and compare the shading.

Although I plan on making written tutorials in the form of blog posts, you can check out the webinar that I hosted for Corel, a few years ago. Maybe I could revisit it as a Master Class? What do you think?

• Like 4
  • Love 1