What are you working on (in August 2024)?

Cassel

On 8/4/2024 at 4:41 AM, Cristina said:

I've finished another layout. Thank goodness it didn't take that long like the previous one... Some pages come easily, others not so much.

Credits:

• Carole’s Adhesive Tape script
  • Background papers: marisa-lerin_1456_distressed-6-tan & Talie_DiCtonS_pp01 (I played with the Blend Mode)
  • Lilypad-lgrieveson_worn edges 2 page 1
  • Lilypad- rjefferies_Eucalyptus Impasto
  • Palvinka_SpecialHug_photomasks_1
  • Lilypad-mommyish_AAM_stickers
  • Fonts: Handlee & Farofa

Not Everyday is a good Day.jpg

I really love the overall simplicity but the lovely details in this layout. Beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I have no layout to display here, but I decided I'm going to do a more traditional scrapbook project for a big event we just had in my home town: the unveiling of a heritage plaque that celebrates (with words and images) the founding of the place. I plan to make it for the Seniors' Club so those who couldn't attend will get a sense of how fun the day was (on Saturday) and how the planning and execution came about. This is not my comfort zone! But I think it will be fun. I am one of the authors of the plaque along with a friend who is also into our local history.

BTW, the little lady in yellow at the left was one of our unveilers. Her family name is on the plaque, and it was her 90th birthday! She danced the rest of the day away at an open house bash and then at karaoke that night!

Scott McKeon pic from Plaque Day.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Love 6

7 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I really love the overall simplicity but the lovely details in this layout. Beautiful.

Julie, thank you so much. Your words of encouragement mean a lot. 💟

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I have no layout to display here, but I decided I'm going to do a more traditional scrapbook project for a big event we just had in my home town: the unveiling of a heritage plaque that celebrates (with words and images) the founding of the place. I plan to make it for the Seniors' Club so those who couldn't attend will get a sense of how fun the day was (on Saturday) and how the planning and execution came about. This is not my comfort zone! But I think it will be fun. I am one of the authors of the plaque along with a friend who is also into our local history.

BTW, the little lady in yellow at the left was one of our unveilers. Her family name is on the plaque, and it was her 90th birthday! She danced the rest of the day away at an open house bash and then at karaoke that night!

Wow, Julie, what an achievement for all of you who were part of this project. Seeing how this lady was partying made everything even more worthwhile.

As I imagine it was a big project, you will probably need many double pages to tell the whole story, which will be cherished by everyone who was not there.

You will have no problems with it; your layouts are beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cristina said:

Wow, Julie, what an achievement for all of you who were part of this project. Seeing how this lady was partying made everything even more worthwhile.

As I imagine it was a big project, you will probably need many double pages to tell the whole story, which will be cherished by everyone who was not there.

You will have no problems with it; your layouts are beautiful.

I hope you're right, Cristina! Now that I'm looking at how to do the pages, I'm starting to worry. I've not done any two-page spreads so that's the first hurdle! I perhaps spoke too soon! 🤥

• Like 3

OK expert and creative comrades, I need some assistance. I have found a layout I like for some of the scrapbook pages I'm going to attempt to produce.

Can you suggest the easiest way to re-create the lines in the background of this layout? I would use different colours, I think, but I like the effect. (From Gingerscraps)

template idea from Gingerscraps.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

OK expert and creative comrades, I need some assistance. I have found a layout I like for some of the scrapbook pages I'm going to attempt to produce.

Can you suggest the easiest way to re-create the lines in the background of this layout? I would use different colours, I think, but I like the effect. (From Gingerscraps)

The unevenness of the lines can be achieved with the Warp Brush set to Noise.

The polkadot effect could be made with an overlay.

Maybe a Scraplift tutorial of the month could be an additional feature in the membership?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Maybe a Scraplift tutorial of the month could be an additional feature in the membership?

That's what I've done so far. I created one narrow long rectangle in grey, saved as PNG. Then adjusted it with the Warp Brush and then each time I duplicated the rectangle on the actual canvas, I adjusted it more with Flip Vertical and Horizontal and used the Shear or Freehand tool to change the shapes a bit. Kept the widths on the page slightly different too.

I have lots of overlays with dots and other shapes I can lay over the stripes after I colour them separately on their own layers. It's kinda slow but fun. It will be interesting to see if I even LIKE the effect after I get 'er done!

I'm with Ann Seeber. Scraplift of the month sounds good to me. Maybe we can take turns choosing a layout for the others?

Edited by Julie Magerka
changed wording
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I hope you're right, Cristina! Now that I'm looking at how to do the pages, I'm starting to worry. I've not done any two-page spreads so that's the first hurdle! I perhaps spoke too soon! 🤥

I do a lot of "2 page layouts" but I do each page separately as a 12x12 page. First off, it is easier to do a single page at a time and secondly, it is easier for printing. Most of my "2 page layouts" are actually companion pages where I use the same papers and elements on each page so that the look is cohesive. I am not a fan of spreading a photo across 2 pages in a 24x12 workspace because in printing part of it gets cut off.

I'm thankful that the template designer I use a lot will split a 24x12 template into 2 12x12's in her downloads so I don't have to split it myself!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I do a lot of "2 page layouts" but I do each page separately as a 12x12 page. First off, it is easier to do a single page at a time and secondly, it is easier for printing. Most of my "2 page layouts" are actually companion pages where I use the same papers and elements on each page so that the look is cohesive. I am not a fan of spreading a photo across 2 pages in a 24x12 workspace because in printing part of it gets cut off.

I'm thankful that the template designer I use a lot will split a 24x12 template into 2 12x12's in her downloads so I don't have to split it myself!

I agree.  In my planning of an album, I usually plan the pages as facing each other and so the look is cohesive.  Worked with my Chattanooga album which I had printed for my daughter who shared the trip with me.  The trip that my son and daughter-in-law and I took in the RV out west, I did that in double pages and it was a chore in getting it printed and not losing anything in the center.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

That's what I've done so far. I created one narrow long rectangle in grey, saved as PNG. Then adjusted it with the Warp Brush and then each time I duplicated the rectangle on the actual canvas, I adjusted it more with Flip Vertical and Horizontal and used the Shear or Freehand tool to change the shapes a bit. Kept the widths on the page slightly different too.

I have lots of overlays with dots and other shapes I can lay over the stripes after I colour them separately on their own layers. It's kinda slow but fun. It will be interesting to see if I even LIKE the effect after I get 'er done!

I'm with Ann Seeber. Scraplift of the month sounds good to me. Maybe we can take turns choosing a layout for the others?

I would consider using the brush variance palette, such as the colour blend, if you fancy  blending some of the colours together. The warp brush, and several overlays should achieve a similar effect.  I'll think of some some tuts and masterclasses that  will be of help.  Grunge magic, overlays and  Textures and Overlay masterclasses come to mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used one of Carole's Punch brushes, I created the scallops to  make the papers more interesting.  Text on a curve.  Seeing as I used a vector elipse for the photo.  I feathered it to soften the edges of the photo. Text on a path.  I created a stencil mask for the date.  An ever so simple layout, which I saw on Annie C's site.  So I decided to relicate, making it  my own. Just the sort of layout I like.  Again all the colours came  from the photo.  The pinky colour came from the bird's feet and legs, beleive it not.  The text reads Watching a Robin is like witnessing a dance of nature, graceful movements and vibrant colours.  This young one was actually  dancing back and forth the branch. The text is actually legible on the full size page.

Robin fledgeling card.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

10 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I am not a fan of spreading a photo across 2 pages in a 24x12 workspace because in printing part of it gets cut off.

Rene, I agree with you. My first double pages were for the Workshop Travel Tale in 2017, which later changed its name to Double Take. Back then, I already chose a template that would not have a photo across two pages. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I used one of Carole's Punch brushes, I created the scallops to  make the papers more interesting.  Text on a curve.  Seeing as I used a vector elipse for the photo.  I feathered it to soften the edges of the photo. Text on a path.  I created a stencil mask for the date.  An ever so simple layout, which I saw on Annie C's site.  So I decided to relicate, making it  my own. Just the sort of layout I like.  Again all the colours came  from the photo.  The pinky colour came from the bird's feet and legs, beleive it not.  The text reads Watching a Robin is like witnessing a dance of nature, graceful movements and vibrant colours.  This young one was actually  dancing back and forth the branch. The text is actually legible on the full size page.

Sue, beautiful as always! I love the photo; it looks like he is posing for you. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cristina said:

Sue, beautiful as always! I love the photo; it looks like he is posing for you. 🙂 

Actually, it took several shots, to get the one I liked, as he was impatiently  waiting to be fed.  You are always so kind  with your comments. Which is always appreciated  my dear.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2024 at 11:25 AM, Donna Sillia said:

My latest: font is apple cider from CF. I am not sure I care for how this font looks. 

dsapplecider.jpg

This is OUTSTANDING Donna!  I love it.  It's very Art Deco, my favorite.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 1

On 8/4/2024 at 2:04 PM, Sue Thomas said:

You really do create wonderful Alphs. A lot of time and thought goes into them. I had to look hard at the title in order to read it correctly.  There was a time I would use some fonts, not taking into account of who is going to read it. Will the text be legible for  eveyone.  As not everyones' eyes are healthly, which makes reading some text/alpha even more difficult.  Fortunately my eyes  are fine.

I learned this too, back when I was learning Calligraphy.  Eg. Formal Gothic - all the lines look the same, I could never tell when one word ended and another started.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Go through the Double Page Workshop and get some ideas!  You got this.  Once you start the ideas will flow.  It takes me a while to "warm up" when I sit down to do a layout.  Lots of "yuk" moments, then trying to fix the yuk, I get inspired by something and then that directs the layout.  It's rare to know what I want to do when I start.   

• Like 4
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Cassel said:

me too, this would be fun

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

You've taken an Annie C idea and made it zing! Well done you. I expect nothing less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 5:07 PM, Julie Magerka said:

Julie we talked about this project and it is so nice to see the unveiling of the plaque, a great result of all your hard work! I'm sure you can make wonderful pages to commemorate the event for those who couldn't attent that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I'm so lucky that the printing service I use here in the Netherlands offer a binding that uses a flat lay technique which allows me to do a double page and is seamless. They offer it only with rather thick paper and only on a somewhat bigger format for the album.

• Like 3