Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

42 minutes ago, Minka Glasier said:

Like yesterday, I have a jammed packed day today ... so did today's early.  I can't begin to even tell you how great a place the Lion Country Safari was.  The animals get to roam free (except for the lions of course.)  There's a reason they call him the KING.  LOL  They had rhino's, giraffes, monkeys (on an island) and so so so much more.  If you didn't feel like you took it all in - you can just turn in again and drive through a second time.  Beware though, it takes a couple of hours to drive through the first time!  After you are done there is another entire park to enter, walk through, and maybe get something to eat. That's where you will find the birds, amusements and  more.   Being a birder that was a must see for me.  I have to tell you the Lorikeets are so much fun, I didn't ever want to leave.  You can pay a nominal fee and get some food for them ... and once they see that food cup in your hand - they are all over you.  Such Fun!

Lion Country Safai.jpg

So glad you got to enjoy one of these safaris. We did one last year and didn't roll up our windows! The rhinos were not allowed out to roam free. I also had a lorakeet experience at a different park. Very colorful little birds! 

ZOO-APRIL 2021_600.jpg

THE PRESERVE-SAFARI_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

So glad you got to enjoy one of these safaris. We did one last year and didn't roll up our windows! The rhinos were not allowed out to roam free. I also had a lorakeet experience at a different park. Very colorful little birds! 

ZOO-APRIL 2021_600.jpg

THE PRESERVE-SAFARI_600.jpg

Aren't they fun. Ann?  I really didn't know what to expect when we went.  We had just heard from a friend that went there the week before us, that they had to call park rangers to come move all the rhino's out of the road.  Traffic couldn't move on.  I thought that was funny.  They have a lot of rhino's and one mom rhino had a baby (which was probably a baby to her as she was still protecting it) ... but it was big, too!.

On 7/25/2024 at 9:46 AM, Minka Glasier said:

I had time to play this morning while electricians were here ... fixing of all things ... the pool!  LOL  The alternating color title I found so much easier than the two papers one, which I WILL play with again later.  I'm glad to have a pool this year as it seems every beach for miles around me has had shark sightings and closures.  Some of those sharks even have drones following their journey.  I saw JAWS once many years ago!  That's enough to convince me to stay in the pool!  We have always had sharks out to sea, but as our waters warm in the Northeast, it seems the sharks are acclimating, too.  It is their home, so I guess I will let them have it.  We have had whales, too, deliberately attacking boats ... one close to here that threw the two men aboard into the water.  Yikes.  Scary.  They were fine, but the boat I bet wasn't.  Yup, POOL sounds like a great idea! 

Image42.jpg

Finding an alligator in the pool wasn't unusual in Florida. They can climb chainlink fences. I've been back in Alabama for eight years, and they are cropping up here. Maine is a bit cold for them, but I recommend checking before jumping in.

On 7/25/2024 at 10:15 AM, Ann Seeber said:

Story Time #2 - The Bird, a Thanksgiving tale. I will post the text here as I doubt it will be large enough in a 600 format. The title is an alpha from Sheila Reid, the fonts are Bremen Bold for the pheasant and Bell MT for the text. I used the template but added my own extras to it. I had a lot in a Thanksgiving kit that I had stashed. I used wood pattern for the background and the round frame. The photo corners were in the kit. 

Here's the text: 

Our traditional Thanksgiving dinner was always wild pheasant. My husband, Jack, brought home the bird and Debbie and Laurey were tasked with plucking it and I would stuff it with sausage dressing and roast it with bacon layered on top because wild game is not as juicy as a commercial bird.

The only drawback to having a wild shot bird was dealing with the tiny bits of lead birdshot that was embedded in the meat. We eventually solved that problem by going to a local game farm and purchasing a wild pheasant, freshly killed. I always preferred the taste of pheasant compared to a traditional turkey.

STORY TIME #2-THANKSGIVING DINNER OF WILD PHEASANT_600.jpg

We always have turkey and ham. After a couple of years of cooking a full turkey or turkey breast, I realized that no one really liked turkey. The next holiday, I took the easy route and picked up thick-sliced turkey from the deli counter.