Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

So glad you got to enjoy one of these safaris. We did one last year and didn't roll up our windows! The rhinos were not allowed out to roam free. I also had a lorakeet experience at a different park. Very colorful little birds! 

ZOO-APRIL 2021_600.jpg

THE PRESERVE-SAFARI_600.jpg

Aren't they fun. Ann?  I really didn't know what to expect when we went.  We had just heard from a friend that went there the week before us, that they had to call park rangers to come move all the rhino's out of the road.  Traffic couldn't move on.  I thought that was funny.  They have a lot of rhino's and one mom rhino had a baby (which was probably a baby to her as she was still protecting it) ... but it was big, too!.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 7/25/2024 at 9:46 AM, Minka Glasier said:

I had time to play this morning while electricians were here ... fixing of all things ... the pool!  LOL  The alternating color title I found so much easier than the two papers one, which I WILL play with again later.  I'm glad to have a pool this year as it seems every beach for miles around me has had shark sightings and closures.  Some of those sharks even have drones following their journey.  I saw JAWS once many years ago!  That's enough to convince me to stay in the pool!  We have always had sharks out to sea, but as our waters warm in the Northeast, it seems the sharks are acclimating, too.  It is their home, so I guess I will let them have it.  We have had whales, too, deliberately attacking boats ... one close to here that threw the two men aboard into the water.  Yikes.  Scary.  They were fine, but the boat I bet wasn't.  Yup, POOL sounds like a great idea! 

Image42.jpg

Finding an alligator in the pool wasn't unusual in Florida. They can climb chainlink fences. I've been back in Alabama for eight years, and they are cropping up here. Maine is a bit cold for them, but I recommend checking before jumping in.

• Like 4

On 7/25/2024 at 10:15 AM, Ann Seeber said:

Story Time #2 - The Bird, a Thanksgiving tale. I will post the text here as I doubt it will be large enough in a 600 format. The title is an alpha from Sheila Reid, the fonts are Bremen Bold for the pheasant and Bell MT for the text. I used the template but added my own extras to it. I had a lot in a Thanksgiving kit that I had stashed. I used wood pattern for the background and the round frame. The photo corners were in the kit. 

Here's the text: 

Our traditional Thanksgiving dinner was always wild pheasant. My husband, Jack, brought home the bird and Debbie and Laurey were tasked with plucking it and I would stuff it with sausage dressing and roast it with bacon layered on top because wild game is not as juicy as a commercial bird.

The only drawback to having a wild shot bird was dealing with the tiny bits of lead birdshot that was embedded in the meat. We eventually solved that problem by going to a local game farm and purchasing a wild pheasant, freshly killed. I always preferred the taste of pheasant compared to a traditional turkey.

STORY TIME #2-THANKSGIVING DINNER OF WILD PHEASANT_600.jpg

We always have turkey and ham. After a couple of years of cooking a full turkey or turkey breast, I realized that no one really liked turkey. The next holiday, I took the easy route and picked up thick-sliced turkey from the deli counter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

STORY TIME-LESSON 4 - SPORT. The background is a photo of the Hackensack Meadowlands where Jack and I hunted. The Alpha is from Sheila Reid. The text is Bell MT. Checking to see if it will be readable in this size. 

STORY TIME-LESSON FOUR - SPORT_600.jpg

• Love 11

Day 6 - Used leading to fit all the words. Also, wanted to make a comment: If a word splits at punctuation, instead of adding spaces, I just put the cursor after the previous word, delete the following space, and press Enter (for a new line). Please let me know, if you need me to post the words. I think they're readable, though...

StoryTime-Challenge-Day6 Completed.jpg

Edited by Dan Greenwood
  • Like 1
  • WOW 5
  • Love 5

Day 6

The first time I heard the word "homophone" in English class, something clicked. Gerry vs. Gary. Guerilla vs. gorilla. They sound the same but mean very different things.

It was a new word that I knew would be important. (See how I did that?

StoryTime-Challenge-Day6-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9

15 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 6

The first time I heard the word "homophone" in English class, something clicked. Gerry vs. Gary. Guerilla vs. gorilla. They sound the same but mean very different things.

Planet of the Apes, indeed! 😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Day 5  I skipped making a project for some of the the days and did this one .  The alpha is cass-Licorice1-Alphabet ex.(with the color changed on some letters) The spinach is from Google then cropped. The spoon is from C F.   ps I still don't care for cooked spinach, but I no longer put sugar on it.

My  StoryTime-Challenge-Day5 spinach 6 5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 8

11 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

Day 5  I skipped making a project for some of the the days and did this one .  The alpha is cass-Licorice1-Alphabet ex.(with the color changed on some letters) The spinach is from Google then cropped. The spoon is from C F.   ps I still don't care for cooked spinach, but I no longer put sugar on it.

That's an amusing story for me, Anne, because I didn't like it either so my Dad sprinkled the spinach with vinegar and grated parmesan cheese... YUM! 😊

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

STORY TIME-LESSON 5 - FOOD - I recreated this from 2 years ago but made many changes. 

STORY TIME-LESSON FIVE-FOOD_600.jpg

Kind of like a grilled cheese sandwich but with cream cheese and the bread is soaked with eggs.  I might have to try that sometime.  Easy to make.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

LOL.  I'm not sure even sugar would remedy the awful taste of spinach.  Another food that absolutely gives me a gag reflex is Liver.  I'm a protein loving guy but have NEVER been able to stomach the taste (or smell) of liver.  Maybe some sugar on that LOL?  Food like that went in pieces under the lip of the plate piece by piece when nobody was looking.  Then scrape it all into a napkin also when nobody else was looking and kept in my lap until could excuse myself and deliver plate to sink and napkin to the circular file.  Of course with 4 siblings, I got tattled on and busted a couple of times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

LOL.  I'm not sure even sugar would remedy the awful taste of spinach.  Another food that absolutely gives me a gag reflex is Liver.  I'm a protein loving guy but have NEVER been able to stomach the taste (or smell) of liver.  Maybe some sugar on that LOL?  Food like that went in pieces under the lip of the plate piece by piece when nobody was looking.  Then scrape it all into a napkin also when nobody else was looking and kept in my lap until could excuse myself and deliver plate to sink and napkin to the circular file.  Of course with 4 siblings, I got tattled on and busted a couple of times.

You just needed a dog under the table. They usually like liver... j/s

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2024 at 2:14 AM, Susan Ewart said:

Day 2

I'm behind, it's hard to come up with stories.  My life is pretty plain and boring.  I used 2022 for the wrapping and it's so nice to not have to fight with it.  I wish Carole could write a script to make 2023 do text wrapping, or a script for 2022 to see all the blend modes as you scroll through the list, like in 2023.  that way I could stick to using just one program instead of two.  

StoryTime WS Day 2 Mini Golf & My Dad-2022-Merg-600.jpg

What a lovely way for a tradition to start...based on love!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2024 at 1:16 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yes I did. Normally I do: make selection - type my text - deselect - duplicate - change to raster and at that point it goes to one line .

So now I did: make selection - type text - duplicate - change to raster - hide vector - deselect. To my utmost surprise it worked. Later this evening I will try if I can go back to the hidden vector text to change maybe a typo, or just alter a word. I sincerely hope it will still works. I'll let you know, but firstly I'm going to watch the opening of the Summer Olympics on the telly. 

I was caught up with the opening ceremonies too! Couldn't catch all, but what I did see was beautiful and memorable. I still see the white horse with the "masked character" taking the Olympic flag to the podium. It runs through my head over and over.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

Momma always told me to put a teaspoon in other greens, like turnip or collard greens. When I would forget, she was adamant about reminding me several times. I'll try it in spinach next time.

• Like 2

Although it is very late over here I just finished this day 5 about my hate/love of a simple food as rice. It took me a lot of time before I had something I can live with. The papers and flower + leaves are from the blogtrain of july 2021 by DB Magnolia, the font is Avelyn and the letters are MarisalScraps. The dish and the rice grains come from Pixabay. 

StoryTime-Challenge-Day5-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

@Daniel Hess That story is cute. I think it is not natural for kids to get messy right away with the cake and icing. It seems like the adults often have to do part of the work! I guess scaring the others might have been a way for you to deal with the fear yourself?

@Susan Ewart I had the same Easy-Bake!!! I remember making my mom's 31st birthday cake and my dad writing 31 on it with little sprinkles.

@Michele Office pranks!!! I remember filling one colleagues' office with "magic bubbles". They are bubbles available at the dollar store that probably contain a lot of glycerine because they typically don't burst. So there were bubbles on her desk, her wall, her computer, even on the ceiling! And for the record, we tested one bubble on our own filing cabinet (and had to tell the cleaning lady), and it lasted there two weeks (although it was deflating by then).

@Minka Glasier When I went to such a park, it was the time when cars commonly had "fabric/leather" rooftops (the 70's) and too often, drivers would come back with torn roof because the monkeys scratched them off! I guess those roofs are not as common anymore.

@Ann Seeber getting close to those colorful birds must be quite special! Do you still have opportunities to play some of those games even if not with as many people?

@Gerry Landreth Simple story but something that surely brings smiles to your face every time you tell it. Yes, kids can easily misunderstand words or phrases they hear and strangely, they rarely tell the grown-ups so it is only later that we can laugh at it!

@Dan Greenwood I know it probably was not funny for you at the time, but I could just picture you stuck on the roof and couldn't help but laugh. Sorry! 🙂 On your layout, is it possible that you forgot the shadows (or posted a non-shadow version)?

@Anne Lamp I never  heard of putting sugar on spinach, but I guess there are many food combinations that some people like and others would never want to try!

@Julie Magerka That fall must have been scary!!!

@Corrie KinkelI often hear about food people hated when they were young but re-discovered (and loved) later on. Sadly, I am still a very picky eater!

Here's my day 5. I didn't enjoy going to the Farmer's Market when I was a kid but I have fond memories of our trips there. 

large.2024727ButterbeansStoryTime-Challenge-Day5600.jpg.6960d51f8f0efc5369543ed300740644.jpg

I didn't use an alpha. I made a seamless pattern of the butterbean photo and used it as a fill for my text. I gave it an outline to help it show up better. I also added a small drop shadow. Perhaps I should add a bit more shadow... Butterbean and produce photos are from the web.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Day 4....only 3 more (it's rhyming day in my house, for me and my spouse 😄)

Kidding aside.  I wrote last time about the sports I liked as a kid.  This time it's just something I was crazy about since I can remember. Horses!  Who doesn't love the majestic horse?

Fonts used are Best Baru and Blustina (CF).  I used a kit from Jessica Dunn called Wild Horses.  The bouncy horse I found on a google search and extracted it as well as the Sears Wishbook page for 1968.  I don't quite remember what my bouncy horse looked like but my parent would have bought it from Sears.  the cowboy boots and horseshoe (blended into the strip at the bottom) came from Free Pik. 

I look forward to learning how best to shadow stuff like the horse, does the shadow go below the horse or how using the shadow effect as normal.  Is this a horse laying on it's side on the page or standing up like it looks like?  Using three dimensional elements makes it more complicated. 

StoryTime WS Day 4 Wild About Horses-Merg-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

I had the same Easy-Bake!!! I remember making my mom's 31st birthday cake and my dad writing 31 on it with little sprinkles.

That's so awesome.  I have a little Christmas ornament (Hallmark) of this very one, it has the box and everything.  I've had it over 20 yrs now and it still has the cake smell.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 6

new and Knew gave me a laugh. English is weird.  Sad for the kids in from your church.  

• Like 3