Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

Carole was right about these things bringing back memories.  In looking at pictures to use, I decided to revisit a trip my husband and I took before his passing.  Kind of sad in a way, but also bringing smiles for the fun time we had.  I had trouble with the two papers title and going to revisit that again to get it logged into this noggin ... but I just ran out of time for today.  Will play with it again tomorrow to see if I have better luck.  OBVIOUSLY, I need to watch that video again (and maybe take a couple of notes!)  

Bar Harbor Maine rs.jpg

• Love 9

Day 3 Since the prank was at Christmas time, I used some of the graphics from my build a kit. I made the banner using Carole's banner fonts. I copied the front of the CD and downloaded an partially open CD case from Canva. The money is also from Canva. I use raster to mask to place the CD cover into the partially open CD. The font is called onyx which is a windows font.

Carole, I wanted to edit my paragraph, but had trouble keeping it in the selection. I didn't want to type the whole thing over, so I just left it the way it was. I duplicated it and made a raster layer. I think that I may have removed the selection and then decided to go back. It didn't work.

dsprank600.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
add info
  • Love 8

I think there are likely many stories of my mischievous behaviours as a kid, but I have lost many of them into the mists of time! I was known as a bit of a "tear" as a kid, always curious and always pushing the limits. Isn't that what kids are supposed to do? This lipstick episode strikes me (now) as minor, but it wasn't at the time! If some child played with a lipstick in my bathroom, I'd wipe it up and clean her off. And maybe have a laugh too.

Kept this one simple.

2024 StoryTime Day 3_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, Minka Glasier said:

Carole was right about these things bringing back memories.  In looking at pictures to use, I decided to revisit a trip my husband and I took before his passing.  Kind of sad in a way, but also bringing smiles for the fun time we had.  I had trouble with the two papers title and going to revisit that again to get it logged into this noggin ... but I just ran out of time for today.  Will play with it again tomorrow to see if I have better luck.  OBVIOUSLY, I need to watch that video again (and maybe take a couple of notes!)  

Bar Harbor Maine rs.jpg

We went on motorcycle trips to Bar Harbor a few times way back in the day! Loved it.

• Like 1

large.2018915CelebrationofCourtsStoryTime-Workshop-Day2b600.jpg.ec3fd4e709c2057d1de768b1473ddec9.jpg

Used Carole's shaped text for the title. Font is National Park. Elements from Creative Fabrica. 

The wraped text was awful...wouldn't let me edit or copy or duplicate. Kept going to a single line. Finally I converted to a raster and hoped there were no errors. I later found 2 and jumped thru all sorts of hoops to correct them.

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Love 7

I am happy to see more layouts and stories!

@Daniel Hess Great layout. I suspect you might have distorted some of the photos in your page. Check out this article about resizing to fit. It might save some headaches on your subjects. You have so much to say, you could easily create a whole book with all those stories!

@Ann Seeber Yeah, I saw your Ice Baby layout but did not comment on it.

@Corrie Kinkel Isn't that the case most of the time that parents would use the child's full name only when they "meant business"!?

@Minka Glasier I am glad you got to revisit some of those memories. There are so many stories in our heads. Let's take the time to get them on paper!

@Dan Greenwood I think you had a great idea to cover some of the lines under the text. If you still find them overpowering, you can lower the opacity of that layer and see how the page looks. As long as you still have a version in layers, you can tweak that and try. I think that both backgrounds look good. 

@Donna Sillia I don't know if it is only due to the resizing of the layout but I think the shadows could be a bit more important. But if it is only due to the resizing, just ignore my comment!

@Julie Magerka If you don't remember what happened after that lipstick event, it might not have been traumatizing! 

@Gerry Landreth A Universal Birthday Party is such a great idea if you can gather everyone together! Will you still try again?

@Bonnie Ballentine Yes, this is a known bug of the latest version of PSP2023. That is a fun idea to have a Celebration of Courts. You really got a great gift from the city!

On 7/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

My mom and dad together with my aunties and an uncle were very fond of the cryptic crossword puzzle that was in the Saturday edition of our newspaper. There was a lot of rivalry between the different families and most of my cousins were involved too. I'm by far the youngest of all and of course I wanted to be involved too. So my parents started to explain to me how I should think in a different way. There were much simpler versions and I liked the to solve those riddles and started to ask them to let me try their puzzle too. I still know how it felt when I could solve a riddle they hadn't: triumph! We used the dictionary and some other books to find the answers, a lot of pencils and erasers were in use and many telephone calls to the rest of the family. 

Lab 14-3 has a tutorial about seamless pencils which I had made and could use here. The old fashioned telephone we used in those days is from Digitalscrapbook.com and the lightbulb is by Melo Vrijhof. Font is Table of Contents and the rest of the elements comes from my stash.

StoryTime-Workshop-Day2b-600.jpg

I love these too, but I'm so terrible at them.  Your family sharing the same love is so neat.  All the family games layouts finally jogged my memory and I finally have a story to tell...when i get to the layout (had to finish a Lab first).

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:12 PM, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 1

The co-worker in the story took two years of working together for him to spell my name correctly. And it was only after I called him on it.

GNL-StoryTime-Challenge-Day1-600.jpg

It's my last name most people stumble over.  I just went with it, if it was anywhere close.  A funny story, my mom was getting the washer fixed and the guy had the same last name.  She phoned the company and told the receptionist she was Mrs. Ewart and could she please speak with (what ever his first name was).  There was a loooong pause.  Turns out the guy was not married and they thought my mom was an ex-wife or a new wife.  Your work badge is fabulous!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, Julie Magerka said:

Storytime #2. I used my own layout and brought in some elements/papers from the template. Had some trouble this time with text wrapping when I tried to edit. But finally it worked.

2024 StoryTime workshop #2_600.jpg

This is me!  when I first hear of "carrot cake" I though ewww, yuk.  I was an adult when I first tried it and it's my favorite cake.  Such a pretty and yummy layout.  And BTW, I still use a box grater, seems easier and faster clean up.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cassel said:

I had never heard of the Cabbage Patch kids to mean adoptees. Something I learned today!

In my second job, I worked at Zellers and on my first day I had to work at this special booth outside the store (in the mall) as it was the debut of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.  And they had adoption papers you could fill out.  But the term as I know it came from my parents.  They would joke that I came from the Cabbage Patch (when I asked where I came from).  They were way ahead of the times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

My name really is Corrie and over here that is short for Cornelia, my parents only used my full name when they were very cross with me!

My mom called me Suzanna when she was made at me (I am Susan by legal name).  to this date I don't mind people calling me any derivative of Susan, but I hate being called Suzanna. Weirdly most guys like to call me Suzy Q and often I sign my name in various "susan" ways and many odd made-up ways too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2018915CelebrationofCourtsStoryTime-Workshop-Day2b600.jpg.ec3fd4e709c2057d1de768b1473ddec9.jpg

Used Carole's shaped text for the title. Font is National Park. Elements from Creative Fabrica. 

The wraped text was awful...wouldn't let me edit or copy or duplicate. Kept going to a single line. Finally I converted to a raster and hoped there were no errors. I later found 2 and jumped thru all sorts of hoops to correct them.

This is what my 2023 does too.  I will start using 2022 for text wrapping, or not wrapping in a selection.  It's a lot of work to have to re-type in which I've had to do.  Now I'm typing my stuff in a Word Doc first in case I need it again.

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is what my 2023 does too.  I will start using 2022 for text wrapping, or not wrapping in a selection.  It's a lot of work to have to re-type in which I've had to do.  Now I'm typing my stuff in a Word Doc first in case I need it again.

I just started typing in a word doc...then copy/paste into my layout. At least I don't have to retype. I also convert to raster as soon as I think I have it like I want it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Minka Glasier said:

Bar Harbor Maine rs.jpg

My parents drove us from New Jersey up the East Coast to many of the New England states when we vacationed. I remember Bar Harbor as we took a "cruise" out into the ocean there and the water got a bit rough. I was standing, holding on to a pole and laughing all the way... my parents, not so much. They got seasick!

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

@Cassel I try to be very careful when resizing.  A LOT of my photos are very old and were scanned many years ago when storage was very expensive and in short supply.  I cut a lot of corners by resizing down, "proportionally" in 99 percent of the cases, and moving the compression slider down towards the lower quality side.  So like you said in your article, sometimes I even have made myself cringe a little bit.  Huge case in point...I did the yearbooks for my high school in Spain for every year it was in existence and posted them online.  Folks from all era's sent me either the yearbook (or a zerox copy in the case of most of the pre 1970 books) and I pretty much wore out a flatbed scanner working on that project.  This was back when we were using dial up modems so storage wasn't the only issue...page loading time was also important.  Each page was originally HUGE after being scanned then I killed quality trying to optimize for loading times and storage.  You can see those pages at www.toroscope.com which is my yearbook site.  I remember the standard I set was 600 width  and 765 height (pixels) and the real crime was moving the quality slide down to keep the images in the 25 to 70 KByte range.  My personal photos when I scanned from my parent's photo albums back in those early days were much the same.  As you said, sizing down is easy with a lot of forgiveness possible but it's very hard sometimes to size up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Day 1, finally. I've been working on it a little at a time for several days. (I still have a bit of brain fog and the heat is still kicking my butt.)

I used an arsenal of Cassel's scripts to create the background paper and all the beads. One of her edge fonts helped me create the edge of the yellow paper. The story font is Sugarstyle Millenial. I'm not thrilled with my shadows, but that's par for the course.

large.Day10106600.jpg.c4d252f5a64354d8e2e171a00cd911b1.jpg

• Love 7