What are you working on (in July 2024)?

Cassel

What about old-fashioned handy work after all the talk on Copilot, Spark, AI etc......

I wanted to make something were the text touches the frame and creates a kind of bounding box were you can put a photo, a paper. first I made a template with the Dutch text of happy birthday and the spaces in between are mask layers, so I can use it again with different photos and colors for a totally different result. Then I made a card out of it for my cousin who adores butterflies. I'm going to experiment a bit more with this technique, I like it

template card-600.jpg

Kaartje-600.jpg

• Love 9

large.202476ChicoryTemplate-Lab14-07600.jpg.a0cfbc34ae12080b9f89b5d7a7b9f324.jpg

This plant volunteered in my yard. Blue is my favorite color so you know I love this one. I learned so much making this layout. Bees have pouches on their legs to store pollen. The pollen of the Chicory plant is white. This flower is actually is many flowes...each petal is a flower.Chicory opens with the sunrise and closes around noon. Template 239 by Lady 22.

• Love 10

large.2024622YoungHeartsDareToDreamMFish_YouDidIt_04600.jpg.9e418a61779422c09d940d52899c24a3.jpg

Ralph and I played in a pickleball tournament with no skill levels and no age groups, meaning we played all players regardless of their skill level or age. Ralph is almost 20 years my junior and we played a 20 year old and a 16 year old. I was by far the oldest player. We won the bronze medal. Template: MFish, You Did It 04.

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Love 11

5 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

What about old-fashioned handy work after all the talk on Copilot, Spark, AI etc......

I wanted to make something were the text touches the frame and creates a kind of bounding box were you can put a photo, a paper. first I made a template with the Dutch text of happy birthday and the spaces in between are mask layers, so I can use it again with different photos and colors for a totally different result. Then I made a card out of it for my cousin who adores butterflies. I'm going to experiment a bit more with this technique, I like it

template card-600.jpg

Kaartje-600.jpg

I love this.  I have been creating these to.  I want to create more with generic sentiments (happy birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year etc).  It's fun to decide which "counter"(the enclosed space in a letter such as; p, a, b, e, q etc) space to add or subtract when you select the top and bottom portions with the magic wand.  That butterfly and the flowers works so well with your template/mask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

template card-600.jpg

Kaartje-600.jpg

I liked this technique so much, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it.

Since the first time, someone (sorry, forgot who was) posted here, and later, when everybody tried their hand and created beautiful layouts... like this one, Corrie!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love this.  I have been creating these to.  I want to create more with generic sentiments (happy birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year etc).  It's fun to decide which "counter"(the enclosed space in a letter such as; p, a, b, e, q etc) space to add or subtract when you select the top and bottom portions with the magic wand.  That butterfly and the flowers works so well with your template/mask. 

Thank you and it was you that gave me the idea to give this a try and I must say I like it; so thank you 🥰 The hardest part is to find a suitable font in my growing font collection. I found: not everything works well and it is a bit dependent on the language I want to make the card in. I will make more different generic templates like  the one  did for this card. With other colors and photo/embellishment it will look completely different and it is handy to have a template in case I need a card in a hurry!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.202476ChicoryTemplate-Lab14-07600.jpg.a0cfbc34ae12080b9f89b5d7a7b9f324.jpg

This plant volunteered in my yard. Blue is my favorite color so you know I love this one. I learned so much making this layout. Bees have pouches on their legs to store pollen. The pollen of the Chicory plant is white. This flower is actually is many flowes...each petal is a flower.Chicory opens with the sunrise and closes around noon. Template 239 by Lady 22.

Bonnie I love this layout, it is simple but elegant with the blue chicory. That blue color is a favorite of mine too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2024622YoungHeartsDareToDreamMFish_YouDidIt_04600.jpg.9e418a61779422c09d940d52899c24a3.jpg

Ralph and I played in a pickleball tournament with no skill levels and no age groups, meaning we played all players regardless of their skill level or age. Ralph is almost 20 years my junior and we played a 20 year old and a 16 year old. I was by far the oldest player. We won the bronze medal. Template: MFish, You Did It 04.

You never cease to amaze us with your pickleball achievements and again a medal as well. The layouts give us a peek into your tournaments! 

• Like 2

I found these photos on Facebook that were posted by Social Island Farm. I do love the black dirt fields of Pine Island/Goshen, NY. This is announcing a festival for this weekend. I used Carole's Hanging Photos script. The font is Cambria with a stroke. The background is part of one of the photos enlarged to full size and with 57% reduced opacity.

SOCIAL ISLAND FARM SUNFLOWER FEST-7-13-2024_600.jpg

• Love 8

Still Playing with strings. The plaid is from FF, and I followed the string tutorial in Scrap Tutorials and then used to directionaltube script to make the string into a tube. I used the vector tube script on the border of the flower and on the middle circle. I also applied the etchedglass script to a black layer and merged the glass over the original layer.

I never bothered with making strings before our last Master Class. However, now I have found that they are fun to make with all sorts of colors and patterns. This particular string would fit in my Build a Kit 2.

dsplaidstrings.jpg

• Love 6

34 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Finally - Z is for Zoo.  This is almost the completion for the 2022 Alphabet Challenge.  My theme was alphabet soup since it was random choice for each letter.

@Ann Seeber I'd appreciate your proofreading skills on this one. 

Z is for Zoo_600.jpg

This looks great, Mary! If you have pix from the Aquarium side you could use them for this month's challenge. I do see one small typo - giraffes needs an "e" before the "s," otherwise, great job! I've been reading about Africa and the audiobook pronounces zebra as if it rhymes with Debra. I understand that is the British version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Ann Seeber Thanks.  I wasn't sure about the giraffes.  It was so hot that day and I wasn't feeling well that week, but it was my daughter's and my staycation and I bullied through. But we didn't get to the aquarium or any further in the zoo.  I bet I could do a whole alphabet from that zoo.  But that will have to wait - too many sticks in the fire.  That Aquarium alphabet that Carole gave us is so neat - I though about my pics from the Chattanooga Aquarium, but haven't gotten that far yet. And here it is the middle of July!!!!! I also have been looking at the P52 thread and gotten a few of my pics from the different weeks - both Canon camera and the phone camera.  I might be able to come up with the 25 or so weeks that have passed.  My - time does fly (think of Susan Ewart and her Time kit).

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

Still Playing with strings. The plaid is from FF, and I followed the string tutorial in Scrap Tutorials and then used to directionaltube script to make the string into a tube. I used the vector tube script on the border of the flower and on the middle circle. I also applied the etchedglass script to a black layer and merged the glass over the original layer.

I never bothered with making strings before our last Master Class. However, now I have found that they are fun to make with all sorts of colors and patterns. This particular string would fit in my Build a Kit 2.

dsplaidstrings.jpg

Donna, lovely and when I have some time left I'll give the the string tutorial a try. There are so many tuts that I probably never will have time enough to do them all😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:01 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you and it was you that gave me the idea to give this a try and I must say I like it; so thank you 🥰 The hardest part is to find a suitable font in my growing font collection. I found: not everything works well and it is a bit dependent on the language I want to make the card in. I will make more different generic templates like  the one  did for this card. With other colors and photo/embellishment it will look completely different and it is handy to have a template in case I need a card in a hurry!

thank you Corrie.  I'm sure I learned it from Marie-Claire a few years ago. Sometimes if I like most of the script, and it's not working the way I like, I will break up one word into two separate Vectors (a few letters is one vector, the rest of the word another vector) or even I might have go as far as one letter as a separate vector, especially if it's just the one causing it not to work.  then move everything into place where I want and from there make the raster version of each and merge them (or merge visible to a new layer and work on that) keep the background frame separate or merge it too.  Usually I do this, but I will also have duplicated that background frame in case I want to do something different to it or be able bevel the word differently than the background so it shows up looking more 3D on the background frame.  So many options of what you can do.  It's a great technique isn't it?  Looking forward to seeing more of your creations from this technique.  Sometimes, when the text works perfect, it's a fast technique to do.  

• Love 2

17 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

thank you Corrie.  I'm sure I learned it from Marie-Claire a few years ago. Sometimes if I like most of the script, and it's not working the way I like, I will break up one word into two separate Vectors (a few letters is one vector, the rest of the word another vector) or even I might have go as far as one letter as a separate vector, especially if it's just the one causing it not to work.  then move everything into place where I want and from there make the raster version of each and merge them (or merge visible to a new layer and work on that) keep the background frame separate or merge it too.  Usually I do this, but I will also have duplicated that background frame in case I want to do something different to it or be able bevel the word differently than the background so it shows up looking more 3D on the background frame.  So many options of what you can do.  It's a great technique isn't it?  Looking forward to seeing more of your creations from this technique.  Sometimes, when the text works perfect, it's a fast technique to do.  

Yes it can be fast but sometimes it takes more than that. I often use a different font size for just 1 letter, especially when I use the extra glyphs of a font or I change the kerning of 1 letter (or a for a couple) to get what I want. I'm still experimenting but will show when I have something nice. Good idea to keep a copy of the frame!

Edited by Corrie Kinkel

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yes it can be fast but sometimes it takes more than that. I often use a different font size for just 1 letter, especially when I use the extra glyphs of a font or I change the kerning of 1 letter (or a for a couple) to get what I want. I'm still experimenting but will show when I have something nice. Good idea to keep a copy of the frame!

I have done that, even to the point of separate letters, move them into place (rasterize of course), then do something different to each and merge visible when we want to use the magic want to select the top or bottom portions to make into a mask.  So many options.  it's true they fast to make, but take a looooong time to do because of the some many options and the kerning to get it where and how you like, which is just as you mentioned.  You often have take out a letter, put it on it's own Vector, and then since you did that, it's back to the kerning again.  Still it's fabulous technique that non graphics people say WOW!   

4 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I have done that, even to the point of separate letters, move them into place (rasterize of course), then do something different to each and merge visible when we want to use the magic want to select the top or bottom portions to make into a mask.  So many options.  it's true they fast to make, but take a looooong time to do because of the some many options and the kerning to get it where and how you like, which is just as you mentioned.  You often have take out a letter, put it on it's own Vector, and then since you did that, it's back to the kerning again.  Still it's fabulous technique that non graphics people say WOW!   

I couldn't agree more!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Got distracted with Carole's new slipped-in freebie and had a nice new photo of Logan & Jonah so I worked this up using a Marisa Lerin kit called Wandering Road. The title is an alpha from Sheila Reid Alpha Mix. I had to create my own punctuation. 

LOGAN & JONAH - LET'S GO!_600.jpg

Lovely Ann and with all those great-grands you never are short of a topic to use! ☺️

• Like 2