Vector Workshop 2024

Cassel

13 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Sometimes the bounding box is around all the nodes and I need to go back and edit the nodes again but the box is covering the nodes and I cant get to them.  I activate another layer then go back and then the box is gone but no nodes, so I click on the edit button and bounding box comes up again preventing me from getting to the nodes.  What am I doing wrong.  When you were doing the crack paste your bounding box only came up when you did Select All but mine had the box already.  Does this make any sense. 

Just to troubleshoot something, what is the EXACT version number of your PSP?

I was running into that as well.  I did the right click on the vector path, then edit, then "select none".  As long as you are in edit mode on your pen tool at top, you should be back to editing nodes.

• Like 2

Day 6.

"It's Showtime" was me in avoidance mode. Playing with PSP is much more fun!

The tubes are LED lights from Cassel. I did two runs at slightly different sizes. One tube layer is in front, and the other is in the back of the text. The spotlight is from Pixabay, and the light is from a group of brushes I had in my stash.

I do have a couple of questions. Is there a way to have text that is not an outline? Rather than having a rope outline in the Sailing example, I would like to have the text as a single rope. My first thought was that it would need to be done manually, but I didn't like that thought. Is there another?

Second, at some point, I saw Carole do a neat trick that turned a preset star shape into a flower using the node arms. Can you remind me how you did it? I would only get it to work one arm of the star at a time. 

GNL-Day6-VectorTube01A-600.jpg

GNL-Day6-VectorTube02-600.jpg

GNL-Day6-VectorTube03-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 10

8 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I do have a couple of questions. Is there a way to have text that is not an outline? Rather than having a rope outline in the Sailing example, I would like to have the text as a single rope. My first thought was that it would need to be done manually, but I didn't like that thought. Is there another?

No. That is due to the nature of fonts: they have outlines and you can't change that. I think there MIGHT be a way to convert the image to vector as a single path. I think I have seen that option somewhere in a different program (CorelDRAW maybe?). But definitely not possible in PSP directly. But now that you know how to handle vectors, maybe you can do it.

I made something as a kind of label with a flower tube around the shape. Used my own initials filled with a gradient and the C has a sequins tube that I made for another project; the K has a flower tube made of an extracted flower that I did some time ago. The font for both is Beauty Smile.

Flowerframe.jp.jpg

Initials.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

21 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

I am lost in lesson 5. I work in x8 and I cannot find how to get the text in the right place on the bottom of my circle. I cannot find a 'more options' button to alter the offset. Does anyone know where this might be in x8?
Jeni

Hi Jeni. I had the same problem with PSPX8. I eventually found it, not in a popup box, but a bit further along in the text toolbar at the top. You won't see it until you click on one of those teeny faint arrows to expand the toolbar. It should appear to the right of the mitre limit area and just to the immediate right of the warp text. Screenshot of my PSPX8 text toolbar is enclosed.

offset in PSPX8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Corrie Kinkel Where is that neat "plastic texture"? Did you get it from Creative Fabrica or Pixel Scrapper or???  I'm fascinated with it.

Mary it is in PSP! Go to Effects > Texture Effects > Soft Plastic. I played with the settings and the random function that in the end got a result that I liked. It depends a bit on the colors you use because the effect wasn't very visible on the darker colors I tried. Sadly/stupidly I didn't write the exact settings down. Hope this helps you to get something similar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Minka Glasier said:

Haven't had much time to play as a major house project started much earlier than I expected .... but I am following along.  Love seeing what everyone has been doing!  I am looking forward to July 4th ... a traditional day of BBQ around this family!

July 4th rs2.jpg

EYE CATCHING!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@Cassel HELP!!!!  I exported my life preserver  preset shapes, but it does not appear in preset shapes HOWEVER it is listed in the presset shapes folder.  What is wrong???? This happened once before long ago (LIKE MAYBE LAST YEAR IN THE VECTOR WORKSHOP).

The first image is from CF and the font is Chrishmkbold from my Hallmark Card program. The background is a gradient. The second picture was just sent to me by my grandson from Thailand where he is visiting and playing rugby. The font is from CF and called Asian Pacific.

dsalvdali.jpg

dskohyaonoi1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

5 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Cassel HELP!!!!  I exported my life preserver  preset shapes, but it does not appear in preset shapes HOWEVER it is listed in the presset shapes folder.  What is wrong???? This happened once before long ago (LIKE MAYBE LAST YEAR IN THE VECTOR WORKSHOP).

A few things to check.

If it is the first export you make (I doubt but just in case, for others), check that the File Location is correct for where they are saved, and also for the folders it is pointing to.

If you have previously exported without issues, it might be a problem with the name of the shape. Did you rename the object/group? If not, it might be using "New rectangle" or "New path" as a name. Check in the drop-down list if it might be under a different name.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A follow up to Lesson 5.

I decided to try something different with my pointed border.

I wondered what would happen if I started with a Vector instead of a Raster.

So I created a triangle with the pen tool. Then I created a script to rotate so that I had 8 triangles. Then I merged visible to a new layer, duplicated, rotated, then merged visible to a new layer and rotated again. This came out exactly as I wanted it.

I may change the script to make it more flexible but for now, using a vector, I have what I wanted.

And I have somewhat of what I want a glow by duplicating a layer, changing the colour and using Gausian Blur (multiple times).

TEXT ON CIRCLE - ENHANCED600.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

13 minutes ago, Cassel said:

A few things to check.

If it is the first export you make (I doubt but just in case, for others), check that the File Location is correct for where they are saved, and also for the folders it is pointing to.

If you have previously exported without issues, it might be a problem with the name of the shape. Did you rename the object/group? If not, it might be using "New rectangle" or "New path" as a name. Check in the drop-down list if it might be under a different name.

I sometimes experience a problem because I somehow set up so that things get moved to Microsoft Cloud (one drive I thinK) and sometimes to my actual computer. I have not been able to figure out how to get everything to "stick" on my computer and so sometimes things just seem to disappear.

Lesson 6 assignment is attached. Love that script..... you can play with all sorts of variations before committing to one. I got a bit lost in all the tube settings so went back to the basics. However, I am noticing that I am getting a small "dot" if you will at the same bottom right of the capital M no matter what setttings I am using. Is this just an artifact of that particular tube? I had tried with a flower tube but got some gaps in the sharper inside corners of the M despite the tube being set at continuous so I guess that the size of the angular space has to do with the flower tube fitting in that space. But I still can't figure out that dot on the sample below..

vector6 sharon.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 6

6 minutes ago, middie said:

Lesson 6 assignment is attached. Love that script..... you can play with all sorts of variations before committing to one. I got a bit lost in all the tube settings so went back to the basics. However, I am noticing that I am getting a small "dot" if you will at the same bottom right of the capital M no matter what setttings I am using. Is this just an artifact of that particular tube? I had tried with a flower tube but got some gaps in the sharper inside corners of the M despite the tube being set at continuous so I guess that the size of the angular space has to do with the flower tube fitting in that space. But I still can't figure out that dot on the sample below..

I agree, Middie, I played with many different options with the size of tube to shapes to add the tube to. The font you have used for your creations is fabulous, and works so well in this instance.
I have always loved doing Richie Dumlao's tutorials using the ampersand. It is such a beautiful shape. I also loved the x shape, Gill Sans Ultra Bold. I tried several different fonts and shapes, there is so much to enjoy with this day 6 vector tutorial.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Randy said:

I sometimes experience a problem because I somehow set up so that things get moved to Microsoft Cloud (one drive I thinK) and sometimes to my actual computer. I have not been able to figure out how to get everything to "stick" on my computer and so sometimes things just seem to disappear.

Randy - Open File Explorer and right-click on OneDrive. In the pop-up menu, locate OneDrive. From there, you should be able to choose how you want the folders to be stored: locally on your computer, solely on OneDrive in the cloud, or both. 

Lesson 5  #2

A fun exercise to do.  I spend more time trying to learn how to work with layer masks (not sure that's the correct terminology), photographed on grey so I could add a textured back ground with blend modes (easy part), then needed to mask the blended texture layer to let the flower show through (hard part to wrap my mind around - which layer is the mask, is it black or white etc).  the hardest part was wrapping my head around what on the top layer needed to be blocked, it kept thinking it was everything but the flower, but it turned out it was the flower I needed to block.  Hopefully I will remember for next time.

I added the little round label thinking you couldnt see it, but it seems to show up well and I have no idea why the top text on the flower is blurry, the original is not and even looking at the 600 version on my own computer it is not blurry.  PSP is acting really slow today.  Yesterday fast, today the opposite.  And with the all temp files and cache cleared.   

Vector WS Lesson 5 Lily 1-600.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 5 Live Simply-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • WOW 2
  • Love 8

I have no idea what happened here, I chose the font Harlow Solid Italic at 150 points, and I altered the materials palette to black stroke and no fill. 
This, is what I got, no picture tube chosen, no script used, nada! Weird! Gremlins, or maybe one of those devilish creatures, Titivillus or Mephistopheles has fallen into my programme?
jeni-J-600.jpg.bc4e224f3581d37bb34c7fc92d3f6d13.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1