June RANDOM Challenge - Up and down

Cassel

Random-Challenge.jpg

Here is a challenge to do something that might not be repeated in other months. Just an idea that popped like that (and you can also send me suggestions for occasional random challenges too).

This week, I want you to create a layout using the Split page composition idea where something (a ribbon, a row of picture tubes, etc.) will divide a page horizontally, where the top and the bottom will balance each other. You can have mirrored content, complimentary content, or completely different content on both halves. To help you, check out this article on Split pages.

• Like 1

When I saw this Random Challenge on Saturday I immediately thought of a photo that I took when visiting my daughter. The photo was already divided by the top beam of a fence which as such was no reason to take that photo, but there was a squirrel on top and it was looking down directly at me. So I divided the photo and left the fence as it was with an overlay of another wooden background in blue. Then a new background on the top, with a mask for the squirrel. Some embellishments that came from the Meadow Bundle by Jessica Dunn. I wanted to have this idea finished before I start with the Vector Workshop.

Random Challenge-June-2024-600.jpg

• Love 11

Yup, I spelled it wrong.  ARGH!  I didn't notice until I was looking up information about Calla Lilies.  Weirdly, I found some Canadian sites that use two Ls.  I'm pretending it's the Canadian spelling or maybe I accidently bought Left handed lilies?  They are spelled with two Ls, right?

I didn't quite get the layout horizontally in equal halves either.  It was fun to make though.  

The font is Lophinky from CF, which has LOTS of glyphs by the way, and Arial.  Photo's are mine, I used 3 photos and a blend mode to set to Lighten.  I didn't know the flower is actually the pointy thing in the middle (pistil?) and what I thought was the flower is actually a leaf.  They are quite beautiful.  

june 2024 Random challenge-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 8

How beautiful, Suz! You are a wizard. There's a tiny error in the text. Where it says "Zeus brought Hercules to nurse.." you need a space between "Hercules" and "to." I'm not getting into lilies with 3 Ls! 😉❤️

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Yup, I spelled it wrong.  ARGH!  I didn't notice until I was looking up information about Calla Lilies.  Weirdly, I found some Canadian sites that use two Ls.  I'm pretending it's the Canadian spelling or maybe I accidently bought Left handed lilies?  They are spelled with two Ls, right?

I didn't quite get the layout horizontally in equal halves either.  It was fun to make though.  

The font is Lophinky from CF, which has LOTS of glyphs by the way, and Arial.  Photo's are mine, I used 3 photos and a blend mode to set to Lighten.  I didn't know the flower is actually the pointy thing in the middle (pistil?) and what I thought was the flower is actually a leaf.  They are quite beautiful.  

june 2024 Random challenge-600.jpg

Stunning simplistic page.  They are easy to create, providing there aren't  any gaps in the text from edge to edge of the  page. The correct spelling for the flower Lily is spelt with one l. As it comes from lilium which is its genus. A child's  name Lily can be be spelt in several ways, including two l's. There are other variations on creating this type of layout  in the  no kit masterclasses if you are interested.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

How beautiful, Suz! You are a wizard. There's a tiny error in the text. Where it says "Zeus brought Hercules to nurse.." you need a space between "Hercules" and "to." I'm not getting into lilies with 3 Ls! 😉❤️

Why have only 1 or 2 Ls when you can have it all with 3 Ls, am I right?  And thank you for having my back.  I see the error of my ways and will get it corrected.  This is the brain that gets up at 5am and is still on the computer at 11:30pm.  Yeesh, what has happened to me.  

It almost looks like I changed Hercules name to Herculesto, or maybe he's Herc's cousin from Italy. 😁

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Stunning simplistic page.  They are easy to create, providing there aren't  any gaps in the text from edge to edge of the  page. The correct spelling for the flower Lily is spelt with one l. As it comes from lilium which is its genus. A child's  name Lily can be be spelt in several ways, including two l's. There are other variations on creating this type of layout  in the  no kit masterclasses if you are interested.

Thank you Sue, accolades from you mean a lot to me.  I sure did experience not getting the text edge to edge and wondered why my magic wand was acting oddly. Until I zoomed in real close and saw I was a few pixels shy on one side, therefore, opening up the whole top part of the canvas.  I will have a look at the "No Kit" masterclass this weekend, after I get through the busy work week (next week is the lighter work week - we all like that one better!).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Sue, accolades from you mean a lot to me.  I sure did experience not getting the text edge to edge and wondered why my magic wand was acting oddly. Until I zoomed in real close and saw I was a few pixels shy on one side, therefore, opening up the whole top part of the canvas.  I will have a look at the "No Kit" masterclass this weekend, after I get through the busy work week (next week is the lighter work week - we all like that one better!).

Undoubtedly, always a pleasure.  I have been rather busy, and meant to comment on your last layout, as it escaped me until now.  You altered the word bye using the  kerning, which  you specified in your comment as looking rather odd.  May I suggest to you  to get a better result,  whilst the text is still a vector,  STRETCH the word vertically and horizonally instead.  As you will still maintain the shapes of the glyphs and letters  as they were exactly written. Of course,  stretching within reason mind.

Apologies for not commenting on everyones  outstanding pages posted.  I will be getting around to  doing this random challenge. I am  currently  preoccupied  with the camera.  Young badger and fox cubs.  Nestlings and fledglings, all currently  in abundance.  Riding and cycling.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Here's my entry in the Random Challenge for June. Debbie, Laurey and I took a trip to New Paltz, NY, in Ulster County, where my Dad's forefathers landed from the Netherlands and France. Terwilliger was the Dutch name and Bevier was the French Huguenot. We took a guided tour of the Huguenot Street encampment and saw my great-great grandmother's home and burial stone. The guide was very knowledgeable and personality+. I snagged the historical society's logo, used a cass-datestamp with an added house flourish courtesy of the Huguenot Street website. All the photos were taken by us. The text font is Bahnschrift. The background photo has an exclusion layer and a dark green behind it. I used the template #714 from Marisa Lerin. 

JUNE RANDOM CHALLENGE-JUNE 2024_600jpg.jpg

• Love 8

56 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's my entry in the Random Challenge for June. Debbie, Laurey and I took a trip to New Paltz, NY, in Ulster County, where my Dad's forefathers landed from the Netherlands and France. Terwilliger was the Dutch name and Bevier was the French Huguenot. We took a guided tour of the Huguenot Street encampment and saw my great-great grandmother's home and burial stone. The guide was very knowledgeable and personality+. I snagged the historical society's logo, used a cass-datestamp with an added house flourish courtesy of the Huguenot Street website. All the photos were taken by us. The text font is Bahnschrift. The background photo has an exclusion layer and a dark green behind it. I used the template #714 from Marisa Lerin. 

JUNE RANDOM CHALLENGE-JUNE 2024_600jpg.jpg

Ann, nicely done and I find the historic facts of such places always very interesting, especially when there is a Dutch connection. When I was in California this year we had a wine tasting on a big vineyard on one of the trips we made. The young man that came to explain about the wines we got to taste, asked where we came from and of course I said Netherlands. Well he was delighted to hear that because his grandfather was Dutch and we had a nice conversation about it. Much to the annoyance of my son in law who is Swiss; there are not so many Swiss decedents in the States, Dutch however I find them everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thanks Sue for referring to the masterclass that shows how to create that text effect. I've seen folks use it and couldn't remember how it's done.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ann, nicely done and I find the historic facts of such places always very interesting, especially when there is a Dutch connection. When I was in California this year we had a wine tasting on a big vineyard on one of the trips we made. The young man that came to explain about the wines we got to taste, asked where we came from and of course I said Netherlands. Well he was delighted to hear that because his grandfather was Dutch and we had a nice conversation about it. Much to the annoyance of my son in law who is Swiss; there are not so many Swiss decedents in the States, Dutch however I find them everywhere.

Thank you, Corrie. If you ever visit the East Coast of the USA, be sure to take in the New Paltz area in Ulster County, NY, where the Dutch influence is strong, along with Manhattan where the Dutch thought they purchased the land. The native tribe didn't consider it a purchase but as tribute for their hospitality. To them, land use was communal and not something to be owned. If you ever really do get to my area, we must be sure to meet up! 😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thank you, Corrie. If you ever visit the East Coast of the USA, be sure to take in the New Paltz area in Ulster County, NY, where the Dutch influence is strong, along with Manhattan where the Dutch thought they purchased the land. The native tribe didn't consider it a purchase but as tribute for their hospitality. To them, land use was communal and not something to be owned. If you ever really do get to my area, we must be sure to meet up! 😊

Ann I know the history of that "purchase" and all that came after it, when I was in school we had to learn about all this in history classes! If I ever come to your area we will meet, no doubt about that!  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Had a go at this but nothing like the idea I had in mind. However, mine is side to side and quite vibrant which is out of my comfort zone. I used Carole's Admission & Laser Doily Scripts and a font called Bahnschrift SemiBold. The dog rose is from one of my photo's I extracted many moons ago. Other images are PSP tubes but unknown creators. I used some texture on the backgrounds to simulate fabric and tried to make some stitching effect. TFL.

Challenge-Resize-SGH-20-06-2024.jpg

• Love 7

57 minutes ago, Sheila Hogg said:

Had a go at this but nothing like the idea I had in mind. However, mine is side to side and quite vibrant which is out of my comfort zone. I used Carole's Admission & Laser Doily Scripts and a font called Bahnschrift SemiBold. The dog rose is from one of my photo's I extracted many moons ago. Other images are PSP tubes but unknown creators. I used some texture on the backgrounds to simulate fabric and tried to make some stitching effect. TFL.

Challenge-Resize-SGH-20-06-2024.jpg

I have struggled with the horizontal split layout for a while since Carole posted this challenge. I think I must like vertical better! Yours is lovely.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I have struggled with the horizontal split layout for a while since Carole posted this challenge. I think I must like vertical better! Yours is lovely.

Thanks Julie. I just flipped the page to the left and right because I couldn't get the font to work as I needed it too and it worked out for me ok.

I have fixed my mistakes, here is version two.  Thank you Sue, for the info about the text kerning and stretching.  Really good point about going vertical AND horizontal in regards to possible distortion on the glyphs and letters.  I must admit I had not thought of that. In this new version everything stayed in it's original shape and size.  Thanks again to you and to Ann for finding my mistakes.  Sounds like you (Sue) are having a good time with all creatures great and small on your farm.  I'm just about through a crazy work week then I will reunite with my camera, which probably feels pretty abandoned. 

There is a little more texture in the background (lower portion) but it's hard to see here.

June 2024 Random challenge V2.0-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 5

Proofreader's Notes: "Lilies" (only 2 "Ls" in lilies); "pistil, the female reproductive part of a flower." (Only one "L" in pistil). 

Has your letter L developed a stutter? 😉😉 

Beyond my ribbing you, I do love this layout. ❤️ I must try that with a swashy font!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Proofreader's Notes: "Lilies" (only 2 "Ls" in lilies); "pistil, the female reproductive part of a flower." (Only one "L" in pistil). 

Has your letter L developed a stutter? 😉😉 

Beyond my ribbing you, I do love this layout. ❤️ I must try that with a swashy font!

OMG! hahahahahaha, ya, that's it!  It's not ME, it's my KEYBOARD!  From now on I will run all my layouts by you first.  Sheepishly, I will admit I used cut and paste from the internet on that journaling.  Did you think I could actually write that well?  I could have gotten an AI to write it, but since the google AI has recommended using "glue" as pizza sauce and another recommendation of how many rocks a person can eat, I think I might be able to piece some words together better than that.  I just looked at the bigger version.  It is an "i" but it's hard to see the dot.  Poor choice of font on my part.  As looking at the version here, it looks like two L's for sure.  Keep up the ribbing and editor extraordinaire duties, please!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1