What are you working on (in March 2024)?

Cassel

19 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Stunning page!  I was taking photos of Primroses in Cornwall in January.  I like that you added a shadow to the frame, something I don't normally  do for  this particular effect, but I do like it.  It gives it  a nice little  bit of depth. 

Sue thank you, your words mean a lot to me! Your encouragement and critics have helped me to get further in developing my skills. Your layouts are always an inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I didn't have anything specific in mind this evening to create. I randomly chose a photo from my trip home, created a layout/template, wordart, background paper, and used one of Carole's punches.  Using vector shapes particularly for the circles not only gives nice clean lines, I'm able to  do text on a path. Retaining the vectors, once I have  duplicated and converted to rasters to colourize, texture etc.

Cornwall  Jan 24.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 4
  • Love 9

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sue thank you, your words mean a lot to me! Your encouragement and critics have helped me to get further in developing my skills. Your layouts are always an inspiration!

I  honestly do appreciate your words.   This community oozes encouragement, help, support and inspiration.  Not forgetting constructive criticism,  which I find is important, when received in the manner in which it is given. 

• Like 5

I must admit I was disappointed, as I was hoping  for a more defined eclipse.  I stayed up until 1.15am  As the eclipse started at 10.53pm,  maximum was 1.12am, ending at  3.32am this morning. The duration of the eclipse was 4hrs 39 mins.   It was an ideal opportuntiy to use the Periodical script which I won.  

The next ecplise  will be a total eclipse on the  8th April, beginning at 11.53am.

Moon Penumbral Lunar eclipse.jpg

• Love 8

37 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

The next ecplise  will be a total eclipse on the  8th April, beginning at 11.53am.

And weather permitting, it should be more spectacular!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I must admit I was disappointed, as I was hoping  for a more defined eclipse.  I stayed up until 1.15am  As the eclipse started at 10.53pm,  maximum was 1.12am, ending at  3.32am this morning. The duration of the eclipse was 4hrs 39 mins.   It was an ideal opportuntiy to use the Periodical script which I won.  

Moon Penumbral Lunar eclipse.jpg

Great shot and I like the choice of font around the moon.  I think I might need to get that periodic script.  I looks really cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Great shot and I like the choice of font around the moon.  I think I might need to get that periodic script.  I looks really cool.

The font is Troemys.   I had a  little play with the script, it certainly does have potential, along with several options to choose from. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

The font is Troemys.   I had a  little play with the script, it certainly does have potential, along with several options to choose from. 

Thank you for the name of the font and the info about the new script.  I wonder how font designers come up with font names, some are rather odd.  

Chamber Orchestra of New York was a very boring theme until I found this amazing oil painting by artist Daria Sadkova. I removed the black background and used it on several layers with varying opacities and adjustments. Cass's Word Frame script gave it just the right touch without drawing attention away from the subject. The font is Cellos Script free from DaFont.

large.FABDLChamberOrchestraofNewYork!600.jpg.0b1d566ccaef6c620226d3e9456f62a3.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you for the name of the font and the info about the new script.  I wonder how font designers come up with font names, some are rather odd.  

I don't think naming a font is any different from any other artist naming their work. Creating power  in the name and an innate ability to draw meaning for it.  The font I chose besides having a dramatic name, also has a dramatic style to it, which I considered to be appropriate for the event which was taking place, meaning the eclipse.  I also think that many font names are chosen to advertize the font, which have many extras.  Displaying them for marketing purposes.  Being artists I  think the  former  is more the case, when it comes to naming fonts.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:11 PM, Sue Thomas said:

Today a flock of around 30 Redpolls stopped off en route north for a feed.  The snow is slowly going.  It would appear I sparked some interest in the technique I used the other day and again in this  layout. I've given some tips, but should anyone need  more instruction, let me know. 

I created a word frame with a twist,  outlined text on the letters R and F, lifted the one comrer.

I forgot to mention that I created  the letterboard, in the previous layout,  matching the colour of the wood frame  with the  ground squirrels.

Redpoll Finches.jpg

Such pretty birds. We don't get them here in SW Ontario. Love the colours and the techniques.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 12:08 AM, Sue Thomas said:

I didn't have anything specific in mind this evening to create. I randomly chose a photo from my trip home, created a layout/template, wordart, background paper, and used one of Carole's punches.  Using vector shapes particularly for the circles not only gives nice clean lines, I'm able to  do text on a path. Retaining the vectors, once I have  duplicated and converted to rasters to colourize, texture etc.

Cornwall  Jan 24.jpg

Love the layering in this one and the textures and shapes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I won the Photo ZigZag script last Sunday and I have been playing with it. The colors that you get depends on the photo that is used. The more colorful photos give a very colorful zigzag and I feel that that is too much to my taste. This photo however had more muted colors and I even reduced the opacity of the zigzag layer. I could have made only a small strip like a ribbon and that is something I certainly will try. For now I just wanted to show my "win" and the font is aptly named Baby Magnolia.

Zigzag01-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

Such pretty birds. We don't get them here in SW Ontario. Love the colours and the techniques.

They are such delightful arctic finches, with a distinctive beautiful song.  I'm surprised as according to  my book, they can be sighted from the west coat to east coast, even Newfoundland.  

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

Love the layering in this one and the textures and shapes.

Much appreciated!  I always start with a photo, from there I have a focal point, whether it's a square, rectangle or circle shape. All to often I then work  my way out with layers, text, elements. 

• Like 1

I was going for the look of a poster/ad and took inspiration for this from several different pics I saw on Google. The silhouette is from Pngtree and I made use of some gold foil images I had in my stash. The font is NinjaLine, free from DaFont. I wasn't completely satisfied with the background (an old gradient I made), but as usual, I ran out of time.

large.FABDLMartialArtsShow!600.jpg.4379dba6d7d3ec068d9fc3f61f25d0d3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

20 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I won the Photo ZigZag script last Sunday and I have been playing with it. The colors that you get depends on the photo that is used. The more colorful photos give a very colorful zigzag and I feel that that is too much to my taste. This photo however had more muted colors and I even reduced the opacity of the zigzag layer. I could have made only a small strip like a ribbon and that is something I certainly will try. For now I just wanted to show my "win" and the font is aptly named Baby Magnolia.

Zigzag01-600.jpg

We are like to 2 peas in a pod,  I won the Periodical script the other week, and you won the zig zag script.  We have both showcased photos using  our winnings within a day of each other. Not only that Carole has  featured  examples of our frames  in this weeks blog.  Coincidence or what!! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I bumped into this layout that I created last year when we were studying in a Text Workshop. I'd like to do that class again, as a refresher. 

THE EASTER HARE_600.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I will often use techniques, layouts, even get inspiration from  previous workshops, when showcasing photos.  As a diamond member  you  can access these workshops at any time for a refresher of any of the techniques  etc used.  Lovely photo of the brown rabbit, it resembles the little brown rabbits we get, and not a hare. The ears are the main giveaway. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1