February 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

P52 Week 7

Font is Agatha (Creative Fabrica).  Ugh, I had two fonts called Agatha.  And only one would show up in my drop down.  Of course the wrong one.  I had to turn off the wrong one in my font viewer for it to see the other one.  This explains why when I load some in the font viewer I don't always see it.  I see that it's loaded and says it's activated, but I actually have to scroll to it and activate it.  It's a little annoying.  At least I figured out what's happening.  I downloaded this one font 3 times thinking I did something wrong.  It's called "Christmas something or other" and I have several with that name.  It now explains why I only seem to be able to use one of them.   the "W" has the same hook as on top of the t-cup handle.  Purely coincidental, I only just saw it now.  And the shadow I put on the magnet is way too small, it looked huge when I was doing it.  I'll have to go back and fix that.  I even wrote the numbers down and didn't believe my own writing.

I used a gradient background and added a texture.  I also added a texture to the rasterized fonts and frame so it would look like it was printed on the paper.  Probably the texture will be lost in the lower resolution.  Nice to get back to this project.  I had forgotten how I did some of the steps and had to remind myself.  

P52 Wk7 - 3 Diamonds-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 5

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

P52 Week 7

Font is Agatha (Creative Fabrica).  Ugh, I had two fonts called Agatha.  And only one would show up in my drop down.  Of course the wrong one.  I had to turn off the wrong one in my font viewer for it to see the other one.  This explains why when I load some in the font viewer I don't always see it.  I see that it's loaded and says it's activated, but I actually have to scroll to it and activate it.  It's a little annoying.  At least I figured out what's happening.  I downloaded this one font 3 times thinking I did something wrong.  It's called "Christmas something or other" and I have several with that name.  It now explains why I only seem to be able to use one of them.   the "W" has the same hook as on top of the t-cup handle.  Purely coincidental, I only just saw it now.  And the shadow I put on the magnet is way too small, it looked huge when I was doing it.  I'll have to go back and fix that.  I even wrote the numbers down and didn't believe my own writing.

I used a gradient background and added a texture.  I also added a texture to the rasterized fonts and frame so it would look like it was printed on the paper.  Probably the texture will be lost in the lower resolution.  Nice to get back to this project.  I had forgotten how I did some of the steps and had to remind myself.  

P52 Wk7 - 3 Diamonds-600.jpg

That gradient background works so well with this teacup! I like the font too.

• Love 1

In week 3 I showed a photo from a little container with bulbs partly covered with snow/ice and this is how they look now. They are in full bloom despite all the rain we are getting and today when I took this photo it was dry with better light for a photo. There are still raindrops on them and those haven't had the chance to dry because we have had more rain for the rest of the day.💦I don't think I will have a better chance on a good photo because we now (it's evening here) get storm as well with warnings in place.

WEEK-8-600.jpg

• Love 5

Here's my childhood toy, a wooden red sled built by my grandfather, Emil Hagquist, who emigrated here from Finland in the early 1900s. I was born the year WWII started and there were no commercial children's sleds to be found in the stores as all the manufacturing was devoted to the war effort. This is an etching created by my daughter, Debbie Lennox, who actually played with this sled. Note, there is no steering mechanism; you had to drag your toes to steer. 😉

COUNTING CARDS-WEEK EIGHT-THE RED SLED_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
added a shadow border
  • Love 6

Week 6,
In Leuven, the city where I live, almost 2,000 Chinese live. To celebrate the Chinese New Year on February 10, the Chinese association 'Nihao Leuven' put together a colorful dragon of up to 10 meters long for a dragon parade in Leuven Center. He is joined by two lions.

mclp_chall_P52_week6_20240210_675.jpg

• Love 6

9 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

In week 3 I showed a photo from a little container with bulbs partly covered with snow/ice and this is how they look now. They are in full bloom despite all the rain we are getting and today when I took this photo it was dry with better light for a photo. There are still raindrops on them and those haven't had the chance to dry because we have had more rain for the rest of the day.💦I don't think I will have a better chance on a good photo because we now (it's evening here) get storm as well with warnings in place.

WEEK-8-600.jpg

Beautiful photo.  I love the rain on them.  

8 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's my childhood toy, a wooden red sled built by my grandfather, Emil Hagquist, who emigrated here from Finland in the early 1900s. I was born the year WWII started and there were no commercial children's sleds to be found in the stores as all the manufacturing was devoted to the war effort. This is an etching created by my daughter, Debbie Lennox, who actually played with this sled. Note, there is no steering mechanism; you had to drag your toes to steer. 😉

Ann, your daughter is so talented.  I love her style.  And the back story is so interesting.   Is the sled still around?

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Ann, your daughter is so talented.  I love her style.  And the back story is so interesting.   Is the sled still around?

Susan, that's a good question and the answer is I don't know. Possibly one of my daughters has it or it may have been left behind at the house in Sussex County, NJ, where they grew up. Their father passed away in 1992 and their stepmother had a wood stove fire which ended up with the house condemned. Now you have me wondering so I'll make a point of asking. That etching was done just last year so maybe... Thanks for the memory boost!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I was very touched by your story and your daughter's drawing. My eyes started to leak a little. ❤️ 

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Beautiful photo.  I love the rain on them.  

You may love the rain on my photo but I'm fed up with all the bad weather we are having this last couple of month. One day some sunshine and the rest of the week rain alternated with showers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

You may love the rain on my photo but I'm fed up with all the bad weather we are having this last couple of month. One day some sunshine and the rest of the week rain alternated with showers!

I hear you.  I used to live on the Westcoast (BC) and love the grey rainy days.  I've lived in Alberta for 10 yrs now (land of the expansive sunny skies) and if we have 2-3 overcast days in a row I'm pretty whiny about having no sun.  

• Haha 1

Week 8

I should be doing my Solid papers but for some reason our email program just stopped working so hubby has been trying to get it up and running.  So I'm doing a little bit in between his "fixing" time.  Good thing for my old laptop with a nice working email.  

I used King Edward font (from CF).  I wanted a shadow so it would show on the card.  I sure flip-flopped on what settings to use where it would show up but not look weird because I find shadows can make black text look blurry or like accidental double text.  I didn't shadow the 2024 as I knew it would look weird, but I wanted a black text and a darker layout as well.  Gradient is from PSP that I've used before, it's a favorite of mine.  I'm trying to get rid of most of the t-cups and will be the same for the t-pots and here I was in the thrift store yesterday with yet another t-cup and t-pot in my hands!

I just noticed this layout looks better if you click on and see it with the black around it.  

P52 Wk8 - KING Spades-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhoods, OMG! somebody stole my shoes!
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

12 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm trying to get rid of most of the t-cups and will be the same for the t-pots and here I was in the thrift store yesterday with yet another t-cup and t-pot in my hands!

LOL. Oh, please don't get rid of them. Admit it. You love them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michele said:

LOL. Oh, please don't get rid of them. Admit it. You love them.

I wish I could keep them but I have no more cupboard space, in any cupboard.  I have kept about 20 of them.  It took an entire day of going through them to choose which ones would go.  They are little pieces of art that i can afford.  

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I wish I could keep them but I have no more cupboard space, in any cupboard.  I have kept about 20 of them.  It took an entire day of going through them to choose which ones would go.  They are little pieces of art that i can afford.  

Is that why you're documenting them now? It's a great idea.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michele said:

Over 20 years ago I took photos of every single Precious Moment figurine that my Mom and I had collected from 1983 to 1996. I did pack them away in their original boxes and now most of them are in plastic tubs (organized as well) in the basement. I have sold a few of them throughout the years as well. But I have them documented. I don't have digital layouts of them but the photos with all information are documented in a traditional scrapbook. I only have 4 special ones that are displayed all the time. And, I have an ornament tree and a small shelf unit with ornaments that are also displayed. But I just didn't have the room to have them all out all the time... I needed the China cabinet for other things!

• WOW 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Michele said:

yes, and i was just photographing the ones for sale (additional shots) and realized I should have photographed the saucers from a straight down (flat-lay) position as they'd make cool digital elements.  Just not enough time in the day to get all the things done that I want.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Over 20 years ago I took photos of every single Precious Moment figurine that my Mom and I had collected from 1983 to 1996. I did pack them away in their original boxes and now most of them are in plastic tubs (organized as well) in the basement. I have sold a few of them throughout the years as well. But I have them documented. I don't have digital layouts of them but the photos with all information are documented in a traditional scrapbook. I only have 4 special ones that are displayed all the time. And, I have an ornament tree and a small shelf unit with ornaments that are also displayed. But I just didn't have the room to have them all out all the time... I needed the China cabinet for other things!

that's so awesome Rene.  I should be doing that.  It's another way to enjoy pretty/sentimental things but not become a hoarder at the same time.  And since my photo subject tastes have changed over the years and I'm doing more table-top photography I seem to want (read: NEED! ☺️) more "props" as I learn and develop a style.  Wonder how long that takes.  I wish I was the person who could go to a thrift store buy a few things to photograph then donate them back within a week or two.  Maybe I'm that way in another universe.

• Like 1

Week 8 At the start of the week I planted some vegetable seeds. I don’t know why I took a photo of three of the tomato packets but I’m glad I did because life got in the way last week and no other photos were taken… Fingers crossed,  later in the year there’ll be some photos of actual tomatoes.

week8 600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Week nine, chasing yesterday, in a mamnner of speaking.   I was out shooting photos of  what was left of the Autumnal leaves.  This  leaf caught my eye, as it had  finally descended, landing onto a blanket of fresh snow.

Week nine.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6