January 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

P52 Week Four

What?! No Tea-Cup?  Today is an Ace so that means a sugar bowl.  This one is quite patina'd and has an art deco look.  I think it is actually from that time period so I used Gill Sans Ultra Bold & U.B. condensed on the week/year portion.  For the magnet I had to improvise.  This weird little round deck of cards does not have Aces or 2s so I took a 3 and edited to be an Ace.  I see that I made it a bit lopsided...just keepin' it real 🤣. I wasted about an hour looking for a font for the A the would look like the cards font, I gave up and settled with this one called "Baked  Donuts" (Creative Fabrica).  I don't actually use sugar in tea, maybe a wee bit of honey, but only sometimes and only with earl grey tea.  I had a little freak out moment when I found out windows 10 doesn't come with Gill Sans(and family), I had to get it from my laptop and load it in.  It's one of my favorite fonts.  

P52 Wk4 - ACE Hearts-600.jpg

• Love 7

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

P52 Week Four

What?! No Tea-Cup?  Today is an Ace so that means a sugar bowl.  This one is quite patina'd and has an art deco look.  I think it is actually from that time period so I used Gill Sans Ultra Bold & U.B. condensed on the week/year portion.  For the magnet I had to improvise.  This weird little round deck of cards does not have Aces or 2s so I took a 3 and edited to be an Ace.  I see that I made it a bit lopsided...just keepin' it real 🤣. I wasted about an hour looking for a font for the A the would look like the cards font, I gave up and settled with this one called "Baked  Donuts" (Creative Fabrica).  I don't actually use sugar in tea, maybe a wee bit of honey, but only sometimes and only with earl grey tea.  I had a little freak out moment when I found out windows 10 doesn't come with Gill Sans(and family), I had to get it from my laptop and load it in.  It's one of my favorite fonts.  

P52 Wk4 - ACE Hearts-600.jpg

I have a Find My Font app that I won years ago. If you ever need help identifying a font, I'd be more than happy to help. I'll make a post in the FB group.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4

P52 Week Five

Font is Beast Bird (this has lots of glyphs) (Creative Fabrica)

I used the Lifted Photo Script to lift the bottom, thank goodness it comes with a shadow! I still added an extra shadow along the side and hope it looks okay.  And I blurred and lowered the opacity of the lifted shadow a bit.  I added a black stroke to the Vectors (fonts) and wanted to add the same look to the frame.  so, I duplicated the vector and from the duplicate moved the frame down to the original vector.  Then I made it black with 5 pixel stroke and the bottom red one is 7 pixels so you can see a bit of the red.  It was the only way I could figure out how to give it the same look as the fonts.  It might show better on FB as I can make it bigger.  

This little t-pot is quite tiny, only about 7-8 inches high.  It's a little cutie.  The face cards will be something tea related but not cups.  I reserved the cups for numbers 2 thru 10.  

P52 Wk5 - Queen Spades-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
added more info
  • Love 6

On 1/29/2024 at 4:23 AM, Susan Ewart said:

P52 Week Three

Font is Pastel Orange Regular (Creative Fabrica).  

My aunt had this pattern; Royal Albert - Petit Point China.

P52 Wk3 - 9 Clubs-600.jpg

Quite a funky idea Susan and I like the way the font changes to suit the china design

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:36 AM, Ann Seeber said:

This is my Week Five: I bought this Phalaenopsis (Moth Orchid) from the supermarket in June, 2023, when it was in full bloom but had gone on sale for half price. The care instructions said to put three ice cubes on the pot, below the leaves, each week. I happened to have Miracle Grow orchid fertilizer from previous attempts so this time I made up a solution and froze it in ice cube trays. (I had resisted using ice in the past, thinking the orchids are tropical and would not appreciate ice.) Well, it flourished and now it is putting out its third set of blooming stems, still going strong after 7 months! It's the best result I've ever had trying to keep one of these plants alive. I've resisted attempting to repot it, fearful I would ruin the spell. Font is Showcard Gothic

WEEK FIVE_600.jpg

That ice cube tip is the second time I have heard it today so I must try it. I only use rain water as we have chemicals in our water that they (and the cats) don't like. A beautiful flower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am just getting done in time for the end of January for my first attempt at my Hook trees project. I saw people using the 2023 review template so thought I would give it a go for the trees although I will still work on some other designs in due course. This one shows my photos with their respective dates and the central photo shows the tree in situ in the field.

Adjustments to the template included:

- resetting the dates as the white text on the raster text layer supplied did not show up on my chosen background.

- changing the grey squares to an oak leaf design paper from Digital Scrapbook.com. In order to select a different part of the pattern for each mat for the sake of interest, my process was to save the oak leaf paper as a layer. Then for each grey Mat in turn made a selection and then on the oak leaf paper layer promoted the selection to a layer and positioned it above the Mat layer.

-  adding a fine outline to the main letter characters as some of the photos did not contrast well with the background. As each character was a raster layer my process was to duplicate the character layer and move it above its group. Then use the Magic Wand on the new outline layer. Selection/Modify/Contract by 3 pixels and then delete and de-select.

HookTrees2023.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I have a book somewhere  Just My Type described as "not just a font book, but a book of stories. About how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world" It's surprisingly interesting. I must find it to see about Gill Sans. When I left work I bought each of the designers in the studio the book and selected a typeface that matched their character.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, fiona cook said:

I have a book somewhere  Just My Type described as "not just a font book, but a book of stories. About how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world" It's surprisingly interesting. I must find it to see about Gill Sans. When I left work I bought each of the designers in the studio the book and selected a typeface that matched their character.

How cool!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fiona cook said:

I looked up Gill Sans and it's creator has a questionable past and that's why Microsoft dropped it from it's line up.  It's is horrendous what the creator did (and he even documented in his diary).  Having said that....we can't change the past but we can use the good they did cant we?  Can you imagine if we find out the inventor of electricity did something heinous in the past would we all be required to give up electricity.  What about the inventor of the phone?    Are we going to give up any form of phone we have?    that is moving backwards and not forwards with trying to wipe out these heinous acts.  Sorry, no more politics or soap box rants from me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fiona cook said:

I am just getting done in time for the end of January for my first attempt at my Hook trees project. I saw people using the 2023 review template so thought I would give it a go for the trees although I will still work on some other designs in due course. This one shows my photos with their respective dates and the central photo shows the tree in situ in the field.

Adjustments to the template included:

- resetting the dates as the white text on the raster text layer supplied did not show up on my chosen background.

- changing the grey squares to an oak leaf design paper from Digital Scrapbook.com. In order to select a different part of the pattern for each mat for the sake of interest, my process was to save the oak leaf paper as a layer. Then for each grey Mat in turn made a selection and then on the oak leaf paper layer promoted the selection to a layer and positioned it above the Mat layer.

-  adding a fine outline to the main letter characters as some of the photos did not contrast well with the background. As each character was a raster layer my process was to duplicate the character layer and move it above its group. Then use the Magic Wand on the new outline layer. Selection/Modify/Contract by 3 pixels and then delete and de-select.

HookTrees2023.jpg

I love this.  Seeing the tree change over the months is so interesting.  I really love that middle long line of trees.  I must say, they are perfectly shaped too.  I was surprised that the leaves were on for about 7 months!  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:56 PM, Susan Ewart said:

I love this.  Seeing the tree change over the months is so interesting.  I really love that middle long line of trees.  I must say, they are perfectly shaped too.  I was surprised that the leaves were on for about 7 months!  

Thank you. Yes it is surprising that there was not much of a change between some of the months. (I didn't cheat! Went up there dutifully every month). I think we had enough wet and sunny weather last year for the trees to like it. Also in south of England not too much cold compared to other years. I will work on other designs when I get inspired and can always use the images for the community magazine. They are always asking for local photographs.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:54 PM, Susan Ewart said:

I looked up Gill Sans and it's creator has a questionable past and that's why Microsoft dropped it from it's line up.  It's is horrendous what the creator did (and he even documented in his diary).  Having said that....we can't change the past but we can use the good they did cant we?  Can you imagine if we find out the inventor of electricity did something heinous in the past would we all be required to give up electricity.  What about the inventor of the phone?    Are we going to give up any form of phone we have?    that is moving backwards and not forwards with trying to wipe out these heinous acts.  Sorry, no more politics or soap box rants from me.

Well I hadn't realised how varied his artistic talents were but what a sad shame for the other. Perhaps it's appropriate for that typography joke (shown in the book Just My Type as mentioned) :- Comic Sans walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve your type"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am back!  My first PSP pages in almost 8 weeks.  I'm currently upside down and inside out, so much do in order to get back on track to settle back into my routine.  The first two weeks are older photos.  ( Local landscape, Sharp Tailed Grouse).  This monring's sunrise. 

Week one.jpg

• Love 8

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Week three.jpg

First: WECOME BACK!  secondly, I was thinking yesterday, when is Sue coming back?  Imagine if I had wished for a million dollars! I'd be on a whirl-wind tour to meet everyone in the Campus. And lastly.....you must be very flexible...I'm impressed.. "upside-down and inside out".  You crack me up, glad to have you back.  Yoga antics aside, your images are as brilliant as ever.  Love how you did the January 2024 part, really nice touch.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sue welcome back, like the others I have missed you here. I hope you had a great trip and have made more memories for the grandchildren, as well as for yourself to sustain you until you can get visit again. I know that feeling of getting back into one's normal routine all to well; it takes some time to settle in but at the bright side is the opportunity to be at the computer and be creative!

• Like 2

This week there was nothing interesting happening and although making photos of housekeeping are ok 🤔 I want to show a photo that my daughter send to me. We had to laugh seeing one of the dogs as a driver and she remarked that she is training an assistance driver to come and get me at the airport if needed!  This is such a cute dog and a bit naughty too. When I'm visiting them he is my friend and looks after me as long as I'm willing to play with him when the rest of the family is at work or at school.

P52-Week5-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 5