Working on a book - Help me out!

Cassel

I love the suggestions and ideas people have been coming up with. Here are a few of my thoughts. I’d organise the book in a number of sections – 5 to 10 with lots of subsections. For example:

Introduction – yourself, PSP, Digital scrapbooking.

1. What is Digital Scrapbooking
Topics might include:
Why make a scrapbook page? What makes up a scrapbook page?
Using Quick Pages, Templates, Sketches
What size scrapbook pages are. 
Digital Scrapbooking Supplies: Where do I get them? What type of things can I get? Does it cost a lot? Can I make my own

2. Layers
The sandwich exercise in Bootcamp is a perfect introduction. It helped me enormously when I only knew about tweaking photos.

3. Using photos
All the ins and outs including how to resize, create different effects etc..

4. Papers and non Photo elements
What these are, why use them, and how to use them

5. Titles and Journaling
Types of titles for scrapbook project. What to add in journaling? Anything important about using text.

6. Making it special
I’d include some of your wonderful design tips here – how to choose colour schemes, themes, how to get the best balance and so on. And, of course, a special section on how and when to use shadows.

7. Examples to work through and try
Step by step guides to producing specific pages

• Like 1
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, Sharla said:

I love the suggestions and ideas people have been coming up with. Here are a few of my thoughts. I’d organise the book in a number of sections – 5 to 10 with lots of subsections. For example:

Those are great!!!!

And yes, I do plan on using some of the resources already in the Campus. The blog is full of articles that can be "recycled" to fit those ideas.

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

Those are great!!!!

And yes, I do plan on using some of the resources already in the Campus. The blog is full of articles that can be "recycled" to fit those ideas.

Wow!  Very well said.  I like the way you organized it and the words you've used describing to us already makes me want it.  I really love that you added #6 Making it special.  Great titles for the chapters.  So...the question is....can I have it time for Christmas? 🤣 (You gotta know I'm kidding, right?)  

Been working on organizing most of the topics I can think of and adding links to blog posts addressing them. I am surprised to see that almost all the topics ARE covered with a blog post or a few classes! That will make the process faster than having to write from scratch!

Here is what I have so far:

1. Digital Scrapbooking

Why scrapbooking?

Why digital?

2. What is a scrapbook page?

Parts of a page

Supplies – what and where

TOU

Photoshop resources

PSP resources

Scrapbooking styles

3. Getting started

Starting points

Quick pages

Templates

Sketches

Scraplifting

From scratch

Size and format

4. Layers

The sandwich

Linking and grouping

5. Using photos

Resizing

Basic fixes

Using bad photos

Big or small

Black and white

Some photo effects

6. Papers

Layering

Shaping/cutting

7. Titles

Fonts and alphas

Types of titles

8. Journaling

Type of journaling

Ways to add it

Text on path

9. Decorative elements

Fasteners

Ribbons and bows

Frames

Tags

Using greyscale elements

10. Additional elements

Shadows

Double pages

Picture tubes

Common mistakes

11. Fun extras

Out-of-bound

Brush work

Changing colors

12. Scrap with me

Scrapbook page 1 – quick page

Scrapbook page 2 - template

Scrapbook page 3 – sketch

Scrapbook page 4 – scraplifting

Scrapbook page 5 – from scratch

• WOW 1
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

Been working on organizing most of the topics I can think of and adding links to blog posts addressing them. I am surprised to see that almost all the topics ARE covered with a blog post or a few classes! That will make the process faster than having to write from scratch!

Here is what I have so far:

1. Digital Scrapbooking

Why scrapbooking?

Why digital?

2. What is a scrapbook page?

Parts of a page

Supplies – what and where

TOU

Photoshop resources

PSP resources

Scrapbooking styles

3. Getting started

Starting points

Quick pages

Templates

Sketches

Scraplifting

From scratch

Size and format

4. Layers

The sandwich

Linking and grouping

5. Using photos

Resizing

Basic fixes

Using bad photos

Big or small

Black and white

Some photo effects

6. Papers

Layering

Shaping/cutting

7. Titles

Fonts and alphas

Types of titles

8. Journaling

Type of journaling

Ways to add it

Text on path

9. Decorative elements

Fasteners

Ribbons and bows

Frames

Tags

Using greyscale elements

10. Additional elements

Shadows

Double pages

Picture tubes

Common mistakes

11. Fun extras

Out-of-bound

Brush work

Changing colors

12. Scrap with me

Scrapbook page 1 – quick page

Scrapbook page 2 - template

Scrapbook page 3 – sketch

Scrapbook page 4 – scraplifting

Scrapbook page 5 – from scratch

Love the "Scrap with me" section.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

So far so good. I am dedicating Wednesday mornings to work on this book. Depending on how late I sleep in, or what else might be on my schedule, I still manage to get a few hours each week.

My process is to go through all the content that is gathered from various blog posts, tutorials, and classes, and make them all in the same style. Blog posts and classes have different formats (with intro, links, etc.) so I am making those a bit more streamlined, removing some extras, shortening sentences, etc. Today, I was working on chapter 5, which had a lot of screenshots for tools and dialog windows for various PSP versions. I plan to limit the screenshots to 2023 (or whatever will be the current version when it is published if there are significant changes). I reason that although there are some differences, if someone uses PSPX8, and the screenshot is from PSP2023, it should still be easy enough to follow. I can therefore remove a lot of "unnecessary" screenshots to save space!

For those who have purchased the Tips and Tricks book, that was in a 6x9 format. I feel that would be a bit small for a scrapbooking book that would include lots of images so I plan on a full-size 8.5x11 format. I don't know if it is new (on Amazon) or if I had not noticed it before, but I think it would give a better result for the reader. And I will be able to have it IN COLORS! (that was not available at a reasonable price when the Tips and Tricks book was published).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

So far so good. I am dedicating Wednesday mornings to work on this book. Depending on how late I sleep in, or what else might be on my schedule, I still manage to get a few hours each week.

My process is to go through all the content that is gathered from various blog posts, tutorials, and classes, and make them all in the same style. Blog posts and classes have different formats (with intro, links, etc.) so I am making those a bit more streamlined, removing some extras, shortening sentences, etc. Today, I was working on chapter 5, which had a lot of screenshots for tools and dialog windows for various PSP versions. I plan to limit the screenshots to 2023 (or whatever will be the current version when it is published if there are significant changes). I reason that although there are some differences, if someone uses PSPX8, and the screenshot is from PSP2023, it should still be easy enough to follow. I can therefore remove a lot of "unnecessary" screenshots to save space!

For those who have purchased the Tips and Tricks book, that was in a 6x9 format. I feel that would be a bit small for a scrapbooking book that would include lots of images so I plan on a full-size 8.5x11 format. I don't know if it is new (on Amazon) or if I had not noticed it before, but I think it would give a better result for the reader. And I will be able to have it IN COLORS! (that was not available at a reasonable price when the Tips and Tricks book was published).

All of this sounds great and exciting! I think you are definitively on the right track.💜

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

This sounds wonderful.  I like that size, there is nothing like the feel of a physical book in your hand.  I cant wait for it to be published.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As I am moving along with this book, I am thinking of having one whole chapter/section for PSP tutorials, or how to work with PSP for the basics.

I am thinking of addressing how to work with Layers, the Text tool, the Brushes, and the Picture tubes.

Since it is not going to be a PSP manual, what other "tool" do you think would need to be expanded in a digital scrapbooking book?

I assume that the readers will at least be basically familiar with PSP and not complete newbies yet, we all know that even those with some experience with the program still don't feel comfortable with everything it can offer (and that could be useful in digital scrapbooking).

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

As I am moving along with this book, I am thinking of having one whole chapter/section for PSP tutorials, or how to work with PSP for the basics.

I am thinking of addressing how to work with Layers, the Text tool, the Brushes, and the Picture tubes.

Since it is not going to be a PSP manual, what other "tool" do you think would need to be expanded in a digital scrapbooking book?

I assume that the readers will at least be basically familiar with PSP and not complete newbies yet, we all know that even those with some experience with the program still don't feel comfortable with everything it can offer (and that could be useful in digital scrapbooking).

I'd appreciate a comprehensive guide to using scripts including the Corel ones that come with PSP. 

20 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'd appreciate a comprehensive guide to using scripts including the Corel ones that come with PSP. 

I'll see if I can fit that. I don't know if any of those scripts would be useful for digital scrapbooking. Can you think of some?

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

the magic wand and how to select from the layer (in a template for example) and going to the paper above and click delete.  then you can tell them about scripts that do that as well.  

Also using the magic wand to make frames around the photo; the two ways, one for the frame (inside or inside/outside) on a separate layer, then they learn how to flood fill and perhaps bevel and shadow that frame, then the other way on the outside where it makes a mat(again, on a separate layer).  then the user has a choice of merging the two and leaving it like a framed photo or they can shadow the photo, like it's paper on top of another photo.  I've seen Rene do this and it's so pretty, then they can shadow the mat too for that dimensional look that makes scrapbook pages stand out.  

Also, remember the lessons in the bootcamp.  we got lots of cool tool use in bootcamp and it's aimed at beginners.  Like using the eraser tool to make the pinking shear edges also for making cut outs (not the "cut out tool") in the paper with the eraser brush which uses all the fun brushes they may have to add a punched out effect on their papers.  

Or the selection tool; pointing out the different shapes (rectangle, circle, rounded square etc) to make smaller papers or elements.  

You may already have this covered in the main body of the book.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I'll see if I can fit that. I don't know if any of those scripts would be useful for digital scrapbooking. Can you think of some?

Looking through them, I tried the one called Flag and was surprised to get a wavy rectangle which did look like a flag.

Also, the Grayscale Border gave me a wide grayscale border around my image, similar to what was on my wedding layout for the Masks Workshop. You'd have to add a frame, also.

There's really a lot there that I haven't tried yet.

• Like 1

It might be hard when a writer is facing a blank page, but I can tell you that it is not much easier when you have TOO MUCH on paper!

So far, I have these ideas for a specific How-to section. I might have to make it into separate sections as I already have almost 100 pages and that does not include the elements in blue, which would need to be added to this.

PSP basics

·         How to link and group

·         How to use the Text tool

·         How to add text on a path

·         How to wrap text inside a shape

·         How to install/import brushes

·         How to use brushes

·         How to use picture tubes (chapter 10)

·         How to use preset shapes

·         How to use scripts

·         How to save your projects (there is a blog post)

Scrapbooking how-to

·         How to colorize elements

·         How to shadow (chapter 10)

·         How to showcase lots of photos (chapter 10)

·         How to choose a color for a layout (in chapter 10)

·         How to fold a ribbon

·         How to use a paperclip

·         How to create clusters

·         How to use masks

·         How to avoid common mistakes (chapter 10)

This is going to be a big book!! There is so much I want to include (and with your suggestions too), but I am pretty sure I will have to trim things down.
So much to share, and so little space ;)

• WOW 2
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

It might be hard when a writer is facing a blank page, but I can tell you that it is not much easier when you have TOO MUCH on paper!

So far, I have these ideas for a specific How-to section. I might have to make it into separate sections as I already have almost 100 pages and that does not include the elements in blue, which would need to be added to this.

PSP basics

·         How to link and group

·         How to use the Text tool

·         How to add text on a path

·         How to wrap text inside a shape

·         How to install/import brushes

·         How to use brushes

·         How to use picture tubes (chapter 10)

·         How to use preset shapes

·         How to use scripts

·         How to save your projects (there is a blog post)

Scrapbooking how-to

·         How to colorize elements

·         How to shadow (chapter 10)

·         How to showcase lots of photos (chapter 10)

·         How to choose a color for a layout (in chapter 10)

·         How to fold a ribbon

·         How to use a paperclip

·         How to create clusters

·         How to use masks

·         How to avoid common mistakes (chapter 10)

This is going to be a big book!! There is so much I want to include (and with your suggestions too), but I am pretty sure I will have to trim things down.
So much to share, and so little space 😉

When I read all this, you have to start not 1 book but  some sequels as well!😉

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

When I read all this, you have to start not 1 book but  some sequels as well!😉

I might need that for sure!

Maybe it will become an encyclopedia!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • WOW 1

21 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

When I read it, I immediately thought that it might have to be 2 books!

Yeah, it is looking like that. I wonder if I would have to release both books at once though ! 🙂

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

Yeah, it is looking like that. I wonder if I would have to release both books at once though ! 🙂

Instead of a sequel, make the PSP how to a companion book to the scrapbooking book. Or put the more advanced scrapbooking/psp how-to in the second book.  Kind of like when you do the bootcamp, the next logical step is the Basic Scrapbooking course.  

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Cassel said:

I love that as a problem simply because it means you have enough material for lots of books! See it is a large jigsaw - take all the segments and then keep on moving them round until the fit logically together and then divide it all into chunks (chapters and sections). I use pieces of papers and write out the headings and then just keep moving them about until I have them in a sequence that makes sense. Don't be frightened of changing your mind - just keep moving the pieces until it fits okay for you.

When I think back to my first introduction to scrapbooking and PSP I really needed things to be quite simple and in small bites - the Bootcamp was perfect - so my  view is that first book should be quite basic. Mention of things like how to create masks or even clusters would have lost me completely. You can include loads more in follow ups and even have an experts guide for those who have been doing it for a long time.

By the way I think you mentioned that Tips and Tricks is 6x9 inches - my copy is the next size up.  Amazon show the size as 17.78 x 1.14 x 25.4 cm or 7 x 0.45 x 10 inches depending on what site you're using. I suspect that size is probably large enough for this book, 6x9 would have been okay for Tips and Tricks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Looking at the original book released by JASC (many years ago) called Scrapbooking the digital way, they have a variety of techniques but they come with a simple layout tutorial (like torn edges, cutting photos, etc.) So that might be what could a second book be, so the first one would be for the basics like layers, how to start a page (quick-pages, templates, scraplifting), the components of a page, basic photo fixes and some "scrap with me" projects. Then, a second book could be about more scrapbook projects integrating various techniques.

Well, I am still brainstorming as I work on things. I also have a document where I move things around!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

Looking at the original book released by JASC (many years ago) called Scrapbooking the digital way, they have a variety of techniques but they come with a simple layout tutorial (like torn edges, cutting photos, etc.) So that might be what could a second book be, so the first one would be for the basics like layers, how to start a page (quick-pages, templates, scraplifting), the components of a page, basic photo fixes and some "scrap with me" projects. Then, a second book could be about more scrapbook projects integrating various techniques.

Well, I am still brainstorming as I work on things. I also have a document where I move things around!

I also see your project as a series of books.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

only just discovered this discussion.
I'm still too much of a beginner for PSP to be able to recommend anything, but I've been scrapbooking long enough to know the drill.

I started in 2005 and have heard that it is a separate industry in the USA. And that there are several styles. We in Europe scrapbooked the photorealistic 3D style back then. So we cut out parts from photos and pictures as deco (of course in compliance with copyright law, which is particularly strict in Germany). But fashions also change in the Scraobbook. Now more 2D, comic style or multimedia mix is popular. Lots of good tips have already been given here for a physical book.

I have another thought that's bothering me right now. When writing a will today, you also have to include the digital data on your own computers in a will so that heirs can then deregister digital registrations in banks, insurance companies, forums, social media, etc. But what do I do with my external drives full of digitally purchased kits that have cost me a lot of money in total and over the years of purchase. How do I pass this on? The money is too good for me to delete because it could be used by an heir who is interested in it. I also see it as a destruction of artistic works if it were simply deleted.
Of course it will also depend on the laws of the country we come from, but have you thought about what will happen to your scrap treasures after your transition? Or maybe you already have experience on how to handle this? What the heirs then do with it is of course their own business, and this also applies to private photos that they cannot do anything with. We don't have any direct heirs, but we have a good connection to other younger relatives. I'll talk to them soon about... this scrap thing. I have a younger sister-in-law who is also very talented in art and works with digital self-expression, she plots and has a digital shop.

I'm interested in your answers.