October TUT/TECH Challenge (2023)

Cassel

spacer.png

The Campus is the perfect place to learn more about photo editing, various techniques, or PSP in general.

This challenge will give you an opportunity to practice some of those techniques or use some tools.

This time, the Tut/Tech Challenge will be to create a lifted photo effect. It could be one corner or more than one. Show us how you can tweak shadows to give the impression of a lifted corner. Check out the tutorial on the blog.

Show us what you learned.

17 hours ago, Cassel said:

spacer.png

The Campus is the perfect place to learn more about photo editing, various techniques, or PSP in general.

This challenge will give you an opportunity to practice some of those techniques or use some tools.

This time, the Tut/Tech Challenge will be to create a lifted photo effect. It could be one corner or more than one. Show us how you can tweak shadows to give the impression of a lifted corner. Check out the tutorial on the blog.

Show us what you learned.

It's snowing here, once I  did what I needed to do outside, I decided to  participate in this challenge.  I have included lifting  all four corners in this layout.  I lifted the lily out of the photo in order to frame it.  I then lifted the top left corner of that photo, and  the top right corner of the  rose photo. Carole's corner punch, overlay of leaves on the  punched out layer.  I also  made sure I had some shadow on the lily frame, of the lifted petal. My own wordart quote.

flowers.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • WOW 1
  • Love 8

17 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

The one on the right Is surrealistic @Sue. Sorry that you can't see the bumblebee well. 

It was white here too but not from snow but from fog. As the sun came through the fog was easily gone. Not it's windy and rainy. ?Glad that I'm inside.

That is so kind of you Jannette, many thanks.  Yes, the tri coloured bumble wasn't intended to be the star of the  photo, but the flower.  It just happened that the  bumble came along in the Knick of time to  be showcased too.  That's the problem with sizing down from a very large file to 600 pixels.  The image becomes  very degraded. 

In 6 weeks I will be going home to  fog, cold and rain.  I really don't miss the British weather.   Summer has  gone,  it has been replaced by  Winter, with  a week or so of Autumnal weather.  Hard to believe a week last Thursday I was in shorts and T shirt cycling trails, and then kayaked last Sunday in glorious weather.  The snow arrived on  Wednesday.   Woke to -10c this morning and more snow.   I wish I could grow a nice thick winter coat like my horses do.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I made this pic myself in my backyard. On a sunny autumn afternoon, I found this may be a lost bumblebee on a leave resting. Or what insect it might be. I made this project in PSP 2018. For the background, I used the plugin RENDER. 2 colors green out of my photo. The decorative edge is from a mask, SN frame 10. The same 2 colors green. I gave it an orange highlight from the plugin Eye Candy 5 - Impact - gradient glow and a bevel. I've been thrown out. PSP closed due to the many times I tried. 

Image bladzijde krul.jpg

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Like 5
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I made this pic myself in my backyard. On a sunny autumn afternoon, I found this may be a lost bumblebee on a leave resting. Or what insect it might be. I made this project in PSP 2018. For the background, I used the plugin RENDER. 2 colors green out of my photo. The decorative edge is from a mask, SN frame 10. The same 2 colors green. I gave it an orange highlight from the plugin Eye Candy 5 - Impact - gradient glow and a bevel. I've been thrown out. PSP closed due to the many times I tried. 

Image bladzijde krul.jpg

The colours of green, gives a refreshing, calming feel to the layout.   By looking at a green colour it  will help levitate a headache. A green room is even better.  Your bee is defiantly a  bumble,  possibly a consobrinus.

• Thanks 1

I like this technique, but every time I follow the instructions in the handout from the tutorial, I have to fiddle around and do things differently to make it work. Eventually I get it and then it works. This one is using a photo of a woman I know who celebrated her 100th birthday last year. I made a layout for her, but not this one. She's still going strong!

The text 100 years has an outer glow applied. The rest is just elements I have in my files.

2023 layout 100 years_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I like this technique, but every time I follow the instructions in the handout from the tutorial, I have to fiddle around and do things differently to make it work. Eventually I get it and then it works. This one is using a photo of a woman I know who celebrated her 100th birthday last year. I made a layout for her, but not this one. She's still going strong!

The text 100 years has an outer glow applied. The rest is just elements I have in my files.

2023 layout 100 years_600.jpg

A most appealing layout.  I thought it was  your work, even before I saw who posted it.

• Like 1

I took some time out from the scripting curse to make this layout. The mushrooms are growing a plenty at the moment thanks to the still mild temperatures and lots of rain. Although I live in a village the mushrooms are on every piece of grass around the trees. One day there is nothing to be seen and the next it's full of lovely, nice and crisp new ones. I had a photo of autumn leaves and used it as a background with a big blur and some blendmodes. I made a co palette from that photo and all the colors are from it. The plaid is made using the script cass-plaid 3 and the big brown leave in the righthand corner is done with cass-embroidered patch. I have one corner lifted out of the frame and I have always a problem doing this kind of things, because my hands are not stable enough anymore, but in the end I got something acceptable.  Al the other leaves come from my stash and again with blendmodes to tone them down. Fonts are Madelyn Calligraphy, Bavire and Leaves Baby for the leaf dingbats + Arial.

TUT-Tech Oct. 2023-600.jpg

• Love 8

On 10/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, Sue Thomas said:

It's snowing here, once I  did what I needed to do outside, I decided to  participate in this challenge.  I have included lifting  all four corners in this layout.  I lifted the lily out of the photo in order to frame it.  I then lifted the top left corner of that photo, and  the top right corner of the  rose photo. Carole's corner punch, overlay of leaves on the  punched out layer.  I also  made sure I had some shadow on the lily frame, of the lifted petal. My own wordart quote.

flowers.jpg

Lovely, it gives instantly a feeling of summer, which I can use because as Jannette already said we have autumn weather which over here means, rain, wind and fog but the temperatures are still rather mild for this time of the year. It's a pity that with this compression the leaves on the background are almost invisible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I took some time out from the scripting curse to make this layout. The mushrooms are growing a plenty at the moment thanks to the still mild temperatures and lots of rain. Although I live in a village the mushrooms are on every piece of grass around the trees. One day there is nothing to be seen and the next it's full of lovely, nice and crisp new ones. I had a photo of autumn leaves and used it as a background with a big blur and some blendmodes. I made a co palette from that photo and all the colors are from it. The plaid is made using the script cass-plaid 3 and the big brown leave in the righthand corner is done with cass-embroidered patch. I have one corner lifted out of the frame and I have always a problem doing this kind of things, because my hands are not stable enough anymore, but in the end I got something acceptable.  Al the other leaves come from my stash and again with blendmodes to tone them down. Fonts are Madelyn Calligraphy, Bavire and Leaves Baby for the leaf dingbats + Arial.

Spectacular Corrie.  Lots of techniques and I love the word art type quote.  Your photo is beautiful.  Such an interesting mushroom.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Lovely, it gives instantly a feeling of summer, which I can use because as Jannette already said we have autumn weather which over here means, rain, wind and fog but the temperatures are still rather mild for this time of the year. It's a pity that with this compression the leaves on the background are almost invisible.

I'll have to post it on facebook for better viewing.  Thank you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

It means too wonderful, great to be described with words.  I  use it if I  can't  find the right words to describe  its exemplaryness. 

it's just the best word.  Thank you.  Where were you when I was in school?  I would have been much smarter than I am now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I'll second that!  it most certainly is a spectacular layout.  The colours are ineffable!

Thank you, I too had to look what ineffable means and I'm lost for words with all the praise I got for this layout. For me it just started with the photo I took last Saturday and from there it has grown. I have said it before, besides all the scrap related things I'm expanding my knowledge of the English/American language too, so thanks to everyone who helps do that.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 11:18 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ich habe mir eine Auszeit vom Drehbuch- Fluch genommen, um dieses Layout zu machen. Die Pilze wachsen im Moment dank der noch milden Temperaturen und viel Regen. Obwohl ich in einem Dorf wohne, sind die Pilze auf jedem Stück Gras um die Bäume herum. Eines Tages gibt es nichts zu sehen und im nächsten ist es voller schöner, schöner und knackiger neuer. Ich hatte ein Foto von Herbstblättern und benutzte es als Hintergrund mit einer großen Unschärfe und einigen Mixmoden. Ich habe eine Co-Palette aus diesem Foto gemacht und alle Farben sind daraus. Das Plaid wird mit dem Skript Cass-Plaid 3 hergestellt und der große braune Abgang in der rechten Ecke wird mit Cass-Bestickungspflaster gemacht. Ich habe eine Ecke aus dem Rahmen gehoben und ich habe immer ein Problem damit, solche Dinge zu tun, weil meine Hände nicht mehr stabil genug sind, aber am Ende habe ich etwas Annehmbares. Al die anderen Blätter kommen aus meinem Versteck und wieder mit Mischenmodi, um sie abzuschwächen. Schriftarten sind Madelyn Calligraphy, Bavire und Leaves Baby für die Blattdingbats + Arial.

Hi Corrie,

Kudos from my husband (who has his computer next to mine) for your mushroom scrap. He is a mushroom fan. He thinks it is an umbrella mushroom that is edible. But I don't know if it's called that in English.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:13 PM, Sue Thomas said:

ineffable

I'm seeing this word on popular media a lot lately as it is used for the characters in Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. The Ineffables are an angel, Aziraphale, and a demon, Crowley, played by Michael Sheen and David Tennant. They are charming and hilarious. Season 2 of the show is coming shortly. I can't wait!

GOOD OMENS 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'm seeing this word on popular media a lot lately as it is used for the characters in Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. The Ineffables are an angel, Aziraphale, and a demon, Crowley, played by Michael Sheen and David Tennant. They are charming and hilarious. Season 2 of the show is coming shortly. I can't wait!

GOOD OMENS 2.jpg

Hubby and I really enjoyed this show too. David Tennant was my favorite Doctor (Doctor Who)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

GOOD OMENS 2.jpg

OMG, I love them both. Did you know they are very close friends? Where do you watch Good Omens? I already watched Season 2 during the summer on Amazon. 

16 minutes ago, Michele said:

OMG, I love them both. Did you know they are very close friends? Where do you watch Good Omens? I already watched Season 2 during the summer on Amazon. 

I misspoke. I should have said Season 3 is coming soon. It will be streaming on Amazon Prime Video. And I still can't wait!! 🤩 I read on the group FB page that someone met them in person and was surprised that David is very sweet and Michael is the macho one. LOL

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Amazon Prime is where we watched.  It was on regular cable for about 2 shows then it dissappeared.  We cancelled Netflix and are trying Amazon Prime for awhile.