Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

13 minutes ago, Michele said:

Day 5. I decided to add a pop of color to this page. Is it too much? It's really difficult to get out of the "scrapbook" head.

large.Day50101600.jpg.b13d12373653776de09ff63d3ed32597.jpg

I think it's just right.  Love the color! And what you did with the gradient is really neat.  I would not have thought of that, it sure put the focus on the girls.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 9/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, Michele said:

Day 5. I decided to add a pop of color to this page. Is it too much? It's really difficult to get out of the "scrapbook" head.

large.Day50101600.jpg.b13d12373653776de09ff63d3ed32597.jpg

No at all! The colours are prefect. I can not fault it, although, and not being critical , if it was  mine I would make  the tree largest stars a little smaller.  They overpower the  models  a tad.  I love the three B's word art. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dorothy Donn said:

My Day 7 - Needless to say , Mom carried me out on the steel pier a few times when we were living in New York and Philadelphia back in my baby days. Post card of boardwalk & Steel Pier entrance.

Postcard Steel Pier.jpg

MY Hurricane Page 07.jpg

The New York layout(at the top) is so cool.  The loss of life is very sad.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

No at all! The colours are prefect. I can not fault it, although, and not being critical , if it was  mine I would make  the tree largest stars a little smaller.  They overpower the  models  a tad.  I love the three B's word art. 

Thanks, @Sue Thomas. I was happy to notice the alliteration he used for this collection. I agree with you on the stars. I reduced the size of many of them, but I apparently missed a few.

Day 6 and I decided to feature his Halloween illustrations. Hayden Williams has created so many looks for his Haunt Couture Collection, more than can be displayed here. I keep forgetting these are supposed to be magazine layouts and I have to stop myself from adding shadows, borders, and textures. 

large.Day60101600.jpg.a4c8a24ddc3cca749cc6ca53507732a7.jpg

• Love 9

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Redo of Day 5. I forgot that they were supposed to be two separate pics. I knew it when I started but lost track of what I was supposed to be doing ?. I also reduced the size of some of the stars as per Sue's welcome suggestion.

large.Day50102600.jpg.91b6a82628e80836282d8347d5601fc5.jpg

Michele, your illustrations remind me of Jessica Rabbit in the Disney film, "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?" when she sings, famously, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way!" ?

Jessica_Rabbit.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

My Lesson-7:  I followed Carole's tutorial and used Day 5 as the first page. On the second  page I used horizontal rectangles and made them just a bit larger as my photos were larger also. I am posting both pages and will try later to combine them into a double page. This has been a great workshop. Thank you Carole and everyone here. Your artwork inspires me.

Anita-Magazine-7-Patio Party-1-Scaled.jpg

Anita-Magazine-7-Patio Party-2-Scaled.jpg

• Love 6

Day 7 shows some of the individual illustrations he made for this collection. I had a tough time balancing the two pages. The first page had the pics almost on the right edge. When I made the second page, the pics were spaced evenly horizontally but it didn't look right when I combined the two. I ended up moving the first column of groups on Page 2 to the right. Damn my OCD!

I think this is one of the few workshops I've fully completed and it had some great lessons for me. Hopefully, I'll complete future workshops or even past ones so I can keep learning.

large.Day57combined0101600.jpg.d1d303440984522ad73c47b452697b3c.jpg

large.Day70103forcombiningwith5600.jpg.097876add91dad2aaa07aee4f76ee25d.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 6

5 hours ago, Michele said:

Day 7 shows some of the individual illustrations he made for this collection. I had a tough time balancing the two pages. The first page had the pics almost on the right edge. When I made the second page, the pics were spaced evenly horizontally but it didn't look right when I combined the two. I ended up moving the first column of groups on Page 2 to the right. Damn my OCD!

I think this is one of the few workshops I've fully completed and it had some great lessons for me. Hopefully, I'll complete future workshops or even past ones so I can keep learning.

large.Day57combined0101600.jpg.d1d303440984522ad73c47b452697b3c.jpg

large.Day70103forcombiningwith5600.jpg.097876add91dad2aaa07aee4f76ee25d.jpg

You have done this designer proud!  When creating a double page, I place the pages side by side frequently, to make sure  they look right.  I think it's a lot to do with how your eye perceives the layout. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic
16 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

You have done this designer proud!  When creating a double page, I place the pages side by side frequently, to make sure  they look right.  I think it's a lot to do with how your eye perceives the layout. 

Thanks. I actually thought to send them to him!

I did place the pages side by side. I usually have tabbed documents turned on, but for the double page, I turned them off. It takes some getting used to.