Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

Magazine-Preview.jpg

Our newest workshop will soon start. Are you in?

You will create various pages in a "magazine" format, with little to no decorative elements. That will generate pages with a "clean" look and save you time in choosing and arranging embellishments.

The workshop will start on September 18th, so there is plenty of time for you to find your photos and invite friends to join.

And this workshop will be FREE for everyone, so spread the word.

(although every registrant will get some templates to work with, as a bonus, DIAMOND members will get more)

Did you find this thread before the registration page? Here it is.

In order to post in this forum, you need to be logged in. To be logged in, you need an account. Registering to the challenge did NOT create an account for you automatically, so if you are new to the Campus, you will need to Register, to create your account. To make it simpler, use the same email address you used to register for the challenge (otherwise, the system will think you have a twin and you will get emails in double).

The tutorials will be available for the duration of the workshop, plus one week. Of course, the DIAMOND members will keep permanent access and will get extra templates too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, James Durrant said:

Locally there is a kite festival this weekend,( weather permiting )and I hope to be able to take some photos.

So that will give me an article for my magazine.

Oh, I would LOVE to see those photos in this project!!!!

• Like 1

I didnt know spare could be elegant.  I have an "elegant" room in my house for company.  hahahha, nothing I have is "elegant".  I use the word "Spare" when it describes something extra and I use the word "Sparse" when there is not much of something. 

Like money is "sparse" these days, does anyone have "spare" money to send to me.  

Basically the two words look similar but to me they are opposites.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I didnt know spare could be elegant.  I have an "elegant" room in my house for company.  hahahha, nothing I have is "elegant".  I use the word "Spare" when it describes something extra and I use the word "Sparse" when there is not much of something. 

Like money is "sparse" these days, does anyone have "spare" money to send to me.  

My "elegant" bedroom is definitely not 'simple and spare' these days... I'd have to clean off the bed if someone were to stay overnight. But is a "spare" because it is the extra bedroom!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Susan and Rene, I have to agree with you both.  It appears I started quite the conversation.  Changing gears slightly, but  on the same subject, which is a relevant point, which I think has just been proven, when it comes to creating a good magazine cover or page, the  text should be easy to read and understand. I believe it's a good idea to use  simple short sentences. The same goes for the layout, it has to have balance, variety and emphasis to be an appealing and a functional  design, that will make sense to anyone. Of course it doesn't only apply to magazines, but to any creative page.  Should there be any typos, just read over them.  Simple and minimalistic ( I wonder how many meanings these two words have!! lol) should be my middles names  This is my opinion!  

• Like 3

Only to satisfy  my own curiosity, I looked up the meaning of the word spare in my very old Collins English dictionary, which I have had since I was a child.   Adjective:  not used/needed, not being used or not needed at the present time. A duplicate kept as a replacement.   word origin Old English: to refrain from injuring.  Spare the rod save the child. 

I use the word quite often, when someone asks me if I have for example eggs, I will often reply with, I can spare you some eggs.   

Not everything on Google is accurate.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Susan and Rene, I have to agree with you both.  It appears I started quite the conversation.  Changing gears slightly, but  on the same subject, which is a relevant point, which I think has just been proven, when it comes to creating a good magazine cover or page, the  text should be easy to read and understand. I believe it's a good idea to use  simple short sentences. The same goes for the layout, it has to have balance, variety and emphasis to be an appealing and a functional  design, that will make sense to anyone. Of course it doesn't only apply to magazines, but to any creative page.  Should there be any typos, just read over them.  Simple and minimalistic ( I wonder how many meanings these two words have!! lol) should be my middles names  This is my opinion!  

Good advice, I'm a first timer in this workshop.

23 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Only to satisfy  my own curiosity, I looked up the meaning of the word spare in my very old Collins English dictionary, which I have had since I was a child.   Adjective:  not used/needed, not being used or not needed at the present time. A duplicate kept as a replacement.   word origin Old English: to refrain from injuring.  Spare the rod save the child. 

I use the word quite often, when someone asks me if I have for example eggs, I will often reply with, I can spare you some eggs.   

Not everything on Google is accurate.

The English language is perplexing.  Now, that's a word (perplexing), I really dont know what it means, but I used it anyway *GASP*. People are always telling me, when I use a "big" word...."you better go look that up".  I think I should stick to one syllable words...except syllable is more than one.  YIKES!  

• Haha 2

Right, now you are saying you are changing your original context in which you used the so called definition of the word spare, from #3 clean, elegant to plain and not decorated (minimalist). I have better things to do with my time than to debate the meaning of the word spare.  I’m going to agree to disagree with you on this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

The English language is perplexing.  Now, that's a word (perplexing), I really dont know what it means, but I used it anyway *GASP*. People are always telling me, when I use a "big" word...."you better go look that up".  I think I should stick to one syllable words...except syllable is more than one.  YIKES!  

Blimey, that's a word I haven't used in a long while.  I would often say to myself or to someone I'm perplexed by what  you just did or said, whilst  shaking my head.  Baffled, confused by  not understanding why they did what they did or said.  Usually pertaining to  disciples within equestrian.   My children had me more perplexed on copious occasions with the antics they used get up to.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am in. I have not done this workshop before and it sounds interesting.                                                                                                                                                

On 9/14/2023 at 11:45 PM, Cassel said:

Oh, I would LOVE to see those photos in this project!!!!

I have visited the Kite Festival today and have photographed some of the large kites. The stunt kites were not flying as the wind speed was to high for them to put on a controlled display. I am hoping for a calmer day tomorrow. This is a view of the kites flying when I arrived, requires some editing.

Filey Kites.jpg

• Like 5
  • WOW 3
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Mine will be about whatever topic has the most photos. ?

I hear ya.  Mine too.  I was hoping to  shoot some cameras but not sure if I'll have time.  I might go ahead, they wont be the best photos though.  But being a Diamond member perhaps it show up in the workshop section and I can always redo it down the road.  

• Like 2