What are you working on (in July 2023)?

Cassel

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

Who was interested in doing a planner/journal/record of life happenings? 
I would have sworn it was Corrie, Marie-Claire, and another person, but I can’t find it. We showed a pic of Maria’s Lerrin’s Journal,  but hers is an actual planner, with things like nap time, and field trips. (Not that we don’t have nap time and field trips here, too, ROTFL!, but we don’t schedule them.)

not a planner, like “dr. Appt 11:00”, but more like what happened at the doctor’s, maybe the name of an assistant you want to remember, or a vitamin/supplement they recommended. Or if your grandkids came over, a pic, or a short blurb on what happened.  Power went out. You went on a bike ride.  A weekend away.  You helped somebody. Just little stuff. I’m finding my perception on how long ago certain things occurred is really bad, and I’m also finding I need to know when something happened if I don’t write it down. When I had COVID, we couldn’t even remember exactly when it started! (Not that I was able to journal THAT on the day it happened, LOL!)

in addition to that, there are habit trackers, where you color in a circle for drinking water, time walking,  number of steps, whatever is important to you. Maybe doing Campus Labs!

then there are just reference pages. All the doctors and their phone numbers + receptionist/nurse/PA names and numbers. maybe a List 10 minute tasks if you need a push, also see “pomodoro method”. A page of speech bubbles so you can record things your husband won’t remember he said, along with    /   /   place for the date he said it!

future

Dinner planning/meal prep/grocery list/changes (this is reusable)

Family measurements, birthdays, whatever.  Quote of the week.
Weekly goal, e.g. catch up with an old friend, put something up on EBay to sell. 

I would want to use regular home copy/print size, not 12 x 12.  Maybe rectangular.  Some days, no text, just a pic. 

I would set it up in Excel.  I have a "Bullet Journal" but it's my own take on a true Bullet Journal.  First is designing is determine what information you want and IF you want separate areas for it.  Do you want catagories in a book, eg. Medical, birthdays, hikes, bike rides etc etc.  or do you want to do it linear by date...that's me.  There is drawbacks to that.  If i had a Dr's appt and wrote the results and three months later I want to remember it, I wont.  Well, okay, I also have that on a calendar, but other things I mean.  Do you want to hand write it or make it electronic (it would give you tons of sorting/retrieving options that hand writing doesnt).  Below is my bullet journa.  you will see there is no verical border line by thurs/fri.  that's where the page ends.  this is two pages and I coil bind them (with a cover and when you copy on the printer you are putting the paper through twice, once to get the one side and again to get the other side on the back, so that the pages work in order.  thing i do to set up (because the pages are generic):

• I put the date number beside the week (eg. MON   26) 
  • above the days of the week line I actually write the week (eg. June 26 -July 02, 2023)
  • the first little set of rectangle boxes are my work days and hours....I have start times (which change often) and no end times so it's blank.
  • the big section is where I write everthing I have to do that day or want to remember
  • below is my workout stuff
  • below that was when I had medical stuff or recovery physio stuff I had to do
  • the second page is straight forward you can see what I use it for

I make a small circle then write the task and when I'm done the task I color in the circle so i know it's done.  Undone stuff get transfered to another day.  I used a traditional bullet journal and it did not work for me at all, but I used it for 6 months to see what I liked and what I didnt and what wasnt working about it.  This is more my style and I refer back to pages in it often.  But it doesnt help if you want to remember when you last went to..(insert some place) but dont remember when.  that's when maybe a binder with an overview month (1 page calendar) and then broken down into catagories using a binder.  So you could look for what ever it was you wanted over 12 pages of the calendar and then from there you'd know where to look, whether by date or by subject.  One thing I know is this kind of journalling is ever evolving until you find something that works for you.  I have journalled my workouts (I call it a log book) for almost 30 yrs now.  But the bullet journal is only about 5 years.  I was a list person, but my lists were various little pieces of paper and I was always losing them.  This book just contains them.  You know yourself best, try to figure out the method that YOU will use.  And you will have to tweak it to make it just right.  

bullet journal.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that’s sort of what I mean, less text and more photos. I would use PSP to make it pretty. And it would be more past tense than future tense. ( no real deadlines as long as the stuff I need is in the proper folder and I can get it out when I feel like working on it.)

I would never personally use Excel, i mentioned it in my last post to Rene, but I have trouble adding any photos to it.  However, you brought up a good point I keep thinking about and dismissing….printing on the reverse side. I don’t really think I would print one of these weeks or months, but who knows? Maybe I’ll do some really pretty things and not just clean out the basement and try to figure out how to start an Etsy store, LOL!  (Meaning a pic of my basement or the pile of junk I bring upstairs to photograph. There are no beautiful pictures of what I’m doing!)

You also brought up another good point on search and replace…. perhaps MS Word would be better than PSP? No, that doesn’t work because MS word doesn’t like you to work outside of grids, so if you get crazy, it simply won’t let you do it.  Maybe the LOs could be in PSP, then transfer to Ms Word for any text.  This would work for the searchable text. I was thinking the opposite of what you have there in Excel. I was thinking more picture and basically captions for them as the text. Unless something exciting happened. Or even marginally interesting? Poor air quality again today. 

Expanding Topic. I don’t think there would be so many pages - 50 per year -  that I need a search, and my printing/writing is good enough to have it all handwritten. Or maybe a font like Pea Nikki or Pea Bev.  What if I made all the pages as a journal, coil printed it, and simply left a lot of blank space to write in it and with places to actually glue photos? It would be like a calendar journal.

Edited by Suzy
  • Love 1

Yah I was interested into making something, but only for my PSP stuff, for the rest I have my old and trusted system and it is partly in writing, because my husband must be able to find the things in it when I'm not at home. The rest is in files on the pc and they are named clearly. I till keep and old-fashioned address book as well for his use. Mine is on my phone. I will see what to do for my PSP,  but I'm not very good with excel and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it either.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

19 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yah I was interested into making something, but only for my PSP stuff, for the rest I have my old and trusted system and it is partly in writing, because my husband must be able to find the things in it when I'm not at home. The rest is in files on the pc and they are named clearly. I till keep and old-fashioned address book as well for his use. Mine is on my phone. I will see what to do for my PSP,  but I'm not very good with excel and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it either.

I totally agree Corrie, the point about spending too much time on it excel.  That's time away from what we should be doing .....playing with PSP.  I am someone who can organize myself into not doing the hobby I was organizing for in the first place.  I have to watch myself.  I can take days to organize something and then not do PSP stuff.  I'm trying to break that habit and create first, organize second.  I spent most of today (after many errands) getting a new program loaded.  It was super picky, took me (read: my husband had to do stuff to the computer - driver updates, turn off Norton, clean up some other techy stuff I never want know about etc) several hours to finally get it loaded.  Now to learn how to use it.  At least they have a supposedly good manual and lots of tutorials.  (ha, they have nothing on the Campus...bar none, the Campus has the most tutorials EVER!)

• Like 3

@Suzy I believe there might be some 8.5x11 templates out there that might give you some direction or ideas for what you are envisioning. Actually Scrapping With Liz at The Lily Pad has had some 8.5x11 newsletter templates in the past. I found sets for 2016, 2020 and 2022 all in 8.5x11 size. Maybe she would have something that would work since there would be space for journaling on them. She also has a Calendar Starter template in the store that you could make your own months. Even though they are 12x12, you could resize them to fit on 8.5x11 paper as 8x8. Again, that would leave room for journaling. She also has a set called "Daily Life List". Again 12x12 but could be resized smaller for printing. Another one... Info Templates. And, she has 5 sets of templates under the "My Travel Journal" category. And another called "That's My Plan". Lastly, she has a bunch of "Zine" templates that are loosely based on magazine style layouts.  Also, the 12x12 layouts could be adjusted to fit 8.5x11, I've seen several scrappers posting layouts that do that since they only work on the 8.5x11 size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Argggggggggghhhhhhhhh

I had a whole post written, hit submit reply and it disappeared!

@Susan Ewart I will get the info on the digi scrapping spreadsheet for you either tonight or tomorrow.

Gremlims did it!  I hate when that happens.  Usually for me it's an email....a looooong email and then I hit between buttons and it's gone.  

• Sad 1

Thanks, Rene, I have most of those, but I put some in my wishlist for the next big sale.  I’m looking for less scrapbook and more planner, though. One week per page. I can make my own, I just thought there were other people on here wanting to do the same thing. But it doesn’t sound like it.

11 hours ago, Suzy said:

Thanks, Rene, I have most of those, but I put some in my wishlist for the next big sale.  I’m looking for less scrapbook and more planner, though. One week per page. I can make my own, I just thought there were other people on here wanting to do the same thing. But it doesn’t sound like it.

Think outside of the box with those templates. They can be used as a planner. Take off stuff you don't want and put on stuff you do want. Change things around. I very rarely use a template exactly like it is shown anymore. I use them for the basics to get me started and adjust to fit my vision. Maybe you should check out the hybrid scrapping forums at digital stores. There might be planner type ideas there that would fit what you envision.

@Susan Ewart Here is my scrap tracking spreadsheet.

Columns are:

Date

Layout Title

Preview (a 600x600 image)

Paper

Alphas/Word Art

Embellishments

Brushes

Fonts

Sketch/Template (I used a lot of sketches in the beginning until I found templates!)

File Name

The remaining columns shown are no longer used, I just haven't taken them off the template page in my spreadsheet. In the beginning, I also used several places to print them so used a color coding system in those columns to indicate where I printed them. Since I now print exclusively at Persnickety Prints, the color coding is no longer needed. And, I have a different way of tracking what layouts need printed so that color coding is also no longer needed.

My original file started in 2008 and got so large because of the images that I started a new one in 2018. My old computer struggled to open the old one if I needed to look something up!

Excel SS 2023.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

@Susan Ewart Here is my scrap tracking spreadsheet.

Columns are:

Date

Layout Title

Preview (a 600x600 image)

Paper

Alphas/Word Art

Embellishments

Brushes

Fonts

Sketch/Template (I used a lot of sketches in the beginning until I found templates!)

File Name

The remaining columns shown are no longer used, I just haven't taken them off the template page in my spreadsheet. In the beginning, I also used several places to print them so used a color coding system in those columns to indicate where I printed them. Since I now print exclusively at Persnickety Prints, the color coding is no longer needed. And, I have a different way of tracking what layouts need printed so that color coding is also no longer needed.

My original file started in 2008 and got so large because of the images that I started a new one in 2018. My old computer struggled to open the old one if I needed to look something up!

Excel SS 2023.jpg

Thank you.  This is just up my alley, the way I'd like to see it. This will get rid of all the little scraps of paper I scribble on, that mean nothing to me weeks later when i pick up the paper and wonder what it was for.  

21 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Rumble In The Park 4

Used the alpha I created...not sure I like it. Features the  logo used each year. I designed the logos.

2023 6 10 Rumble ITP 4 600.jpg

Bonnie, you have been busy! If it isn't playing pickleball in a tournament then it is playing with pickleball layouts in PSP. I love what you made and you must have had a great time playing one way or the other.

Before the close of July, I'll post what I had started sometime ago as a spreadsheet of the things I had done in the labs.  I abandoned this because of having to reduce the pictures of what I had done.  I am now working on a database to show where articles about tools or actions (such as shadowing, creating masks, etc.) are located so I can bring them up and peruse them.  I was a database programmer in my late adult years (that's what I earned my bread from), however, it is taking me to task and a new learning curve since Access 2016 is the new game in town and somewhat different and more sophisticated than my old Access database.

2023-07-30_1000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Mary, that is awesome! I’m so jealous because it looks so pretty!

I keep forgetting about Access, it’s always Excel I reach for. Are the two programs different for this type of application?  It seems as if I am the only person here who didn’t work with little boxes, so I don’t know this stuff! (I was in Industrial sales…I sold steel, aluminum and high temperature alloys.)

Is this showing your lab work? Or is it showing the pictures from lessons? I don’t recognize the pictures at all. Where did they come from? I would totally buy this from you when you finish! ?

8 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Mary, that is awesome! I’m so jealous because it looks so pretty!

I keep forgetting about Access, it’s always Excel I reach for. Are the two programs different for this type of application?  It seems as if I am the only person here who didn’t work with little boxes, so I don’t know this stuff! (I was in Industrial sales…I sold steel, aluminum and high temperature alloys.)

Is this showing your lab work? Or is it showing the pictures from lessons? I don’t recognize the pictures at all. Where did they come from? I would totally buy this from you when you finish! ?

That was my excel spreadsheet.  The pictures were what I had done in working the labs.  It was so cumbersome because I couldn't save the actual item I had created because it would take too much resource to bring it up and so I had to create a sample in order to put it in the spreadsheet.  I am just starting on the database and I don't want it to take up too much of my time in learning it.  I've been away from database programming for many years and so this may happen and then again it may not.  In the meantime, the masterclass names tell a lot about what action is contained in it.  Carole has a neat way of displaying the labs on her site - shows what is contained in each module of the lab.  That is where I will go when I am looking for a tool, creating an element, pattern, etc. until (and if) I make a database.  Also, she is pretty explicit in listing her other tutorials.  Thank God for Carole!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1