September DIY Challenge (2022)

Cassel

DIY-Challenge.jpg

This challenge has had great success in the past so we can continue to have it on a regular basis, don't you think?

Just like those "some assembly required" kits that you can buy for a shelf, a chair, or a picnic table, I am including a 3600x3600 pixels canvas with some shapes.

You HAVE to use the shapes in the size and proportions they are. You can move them, rotate them, flip them, and rearrange the layering if you want but you cannot resize them.

You need to use ALL the pieces but you can add more if you want.

So it is like all the pieces to build a DIY shelf: you cannot change the size of the pieces but you can use them creatively.

Obviously, you will want to recolor them or replace them with papers, photos, etc. We just need to be able to recognize the initial shapes.

Here is a preview of the shapes involved.

DIY-2022-09.jpg

Download your DIY set here.

I did try my hand at this. The pictures are all from my recent trip to Chattanooga, TN: the frog and lily pads and the water background are from a water feature in the Glen Miller Gardens; the fish are from the aquarium; the turtle is a freebie from DS Watercolor Images; the font is AR Julian - inner beveled and textured and shadowed. Lots of fun.

We recently went on what is called a Farm Stroll. You get in the car and visit local farms and ranches. Great picture taking opportunity. So, this is my DIY for September. I took the four boxes and put them together for the farm stroll sign. Since I didn't change the size of any of them I thought it might be allowable. I have more photos so I may take another go at this.

Here's my DIY layout for Sept.  Had lots of time today and I was getting a shiny new furnace installed.

All papers from Digital Scrapbook, the blue I added a texture effect.

Fonts are Darkflame ('the'), Abiallyne ('perfect'), Wondershine ('landing'), Mathernal ('at the'), Romantic ('watering') and Mistic ('hole").

Reduced opacity on the paint splats, which in this case is splats of the birdy kind, that they leave behind.

Photos are mine through my very dirty dining room window.  This was a challenge.  In the beginning it's hard to imagine where to put the elements, but after a while it starts to come together.  I really like that this does challenge me.

Super layouts from you all.  Lynda, love what you did with your squares.  Betsy, a beautiful springtime layout, colors go so well together.

It's so interesting to see each person's take on the layout (especially since you can't change size, etc. of each element).

Anja - you started it off and I like your bright colors.

Suzy - you used 2 pictures and I couldn't figure out how the hog picture came in until I realized it was the background!

Lynda - you made use of each of the elements for pictures. Way to go!

Betsy - I like the blue and yellow to go with the pics - especially like that cluster in the lower left corner.

Susan - Interesting take on the paint splats; I don't particularly like paint splats, so that's a thought! All the pictures go together - kind of like a video.

Thank you, Mary.  I liked how you laid out your elements and the color scheme is spot on.  I also liked the orientation of the big rectangle used in portrait style.  I do really like the lowered opacity background and need to try that more often.  The water is perfect for that as it's not too busy.  I kept finding myself about to change the size of the element and had to remind myself that's a no-no.  I am not good using paint splats either, yet I love when others do.  I find they are okay when I really lower the opacity so it's like an old stain that won't come out.  I meant to add another element and date on the upper blue paper but totally forgot.  I blame the old furnace we just got replaced...it had 3 huge cracks in the condenser and despite hving several carbon monoxide detectors, we must've been breathing some carbon monoxide this last year...or two.  Good thing the seal in our back door wasn't great, the furnace guy thinks it was going straight out there as we could only smell an odd (not natural gas smell) smell at the back door.

Since I have all these farm stroll photos I thought I'd give the DIY another shot.

Love what everyone is doing.

Mary ,love the fish and you have a beautiful color scheme.

Susan , love your crows and what you did with the splats.

Betsy, yellow and blue is perfect with your beautiful birds.

Susy, I'm with Janette on this one, rather be kissed by a frog. That being said, very nice layout.

Anja, Who doesn't like fall. Nice!

What a week...2 day drive to GA, 3 days of pickleball, 2 day drive back to VA racing Ian all the way!

I went to the Georgia Golden Olympics needing a doubles partner. I partnered with a woman who is 85...I am 78. She and I played 3 70-74 teams and 1 60-64 team. We lost only 1 game and that was to the 60-64 team. My partner was amazing...an excellent player...she and I jelled immediately and enjoyed playing together!

Awesome Bonnie, what an exciting adventure.  That's motivating to read about yours and your partners age and what you are still doing.  Guess I need to stop moping about nearing 60 (3 more years) eh.  Good to hear you are faster than "Ian".   Congratulations on your wins.

Thank you, Lynda and Susan!

Yes, Susan, age is just a number...especially if you have been blessed with good health. In my younger years I was always disappointed how girls/women were treated in the sport's world and the lack of opportunities. I came along before Title IX. However, there's a "good" side now in that I never had the opportunity to abuse my body the way college and professional athletes were required to do. Now in my later years I can still play/compete. I know numerous ex college/professional athletes who now are unable to play because of the damage done to their bodies when they were younger. I also know ex college/professional athletes who are still in the game. I have been blessed!