July DIY Challenge (2022)

Cassel

DIY-Challenge.jpg

This challenge was well received in April, so let's do it again, and let's plan for more in the future.

Just like those "some assembly required" kits that you can buy for a shelf, a chair, or a picnic table, I am including a 3600x3600 pixels canvas with some shapes.

You HAVE to use the shapes in the size and proportions they are. You can move them, rotate them, flip them, rearrange the layering if you want.

So it is like all the pieces to build a DIY shelf: you cannot change the size of the pieces but you can use them creatively.

Obviously, you will want to recolor them, or replace them by papers, photos, etc. We just need to be able to recognize the initial shapes.

Here is a preview of the shapes involved.

DIY-2022-07.jpg

Download your DIY set here.

Guest Guest

Hope this is ok - no title  :)

the background paper is from Digitalscrapbook.com - I just a little tuned it with pencil -effect.

here is the text of the page:  "I love the peace of the countryside, be it summer or winter - or any season; as long as it doesn't rain too much. It is sad that people have to squeeze into small apartments in cities and breathe poor quality air. I can't live in the country anymore either, because you can't get services there - not even with a lot of money. It is not profitable. I look forward to the time when all people have the freedom to live where they want. Such a time will come - and it is not even far away. :)"

DIY Challenge in the Scrapbook Campus. One of our basketball players has dementia. She really struggled during this tournament. She made two requests to me. 1, she wanted the two of us to take a photo together. 2, she wanted a team photo at the sand sculpture. Both requests were fulfilled. The top two photos are actually 1 photo divided. The background paper was originally a pinky red...I put an orange layer above it and used the blend mode color (L).

We went to the games with 1 player with denentia; one needing a knee replacement and one player who had never played with us...battered, bruised and wounded. The player who had never played with us quit in the middle of the tournament and went home to play in a pickleball tournament. We played the medal round with just 4 players...in senior ball, we play 3 on 3...so one sub and she had dementia. A real challenge...the Senior Games motto is "Long live the challenge."

Bonnie, you are the model of the the 3 "P's"...Practice, Patience and Perseverance.   Lovely commemorative layout.

April, your pages are as beautiful as your cards.

Sue, your out of bounds effects really take the layout to the next level.

here is my go at it.  I'm not sure if I'm quite happy with it or not.  It was the first time I used a photo as the background.  I love when everyone else does it.  But the bird bath is red and red is a very strong bullish color so it was very busy in color.  So I desaturated it.  I think I'll try a paper as a background and see if I like it better.  The fonts are Samantha Upright (Creative Fabrica) for the title and Arial (windows) for the journaling.  Photo's are mine from yesterday (July 23) taken through the dirty dining room window.

Pirkko, lovely photos.

Sue, I love the subtle use of the out-of-bound technique and the frames... they really enhance the photos.

Dawn, you created a lovely page with photos of beautiful Australia.

Susan, because you desaturated the background, the photos really stand out. Lovely layout.

Thank you so much Cristina, April, Dawn and Ann that means a lot me.  I have struggled with design and being inspired by all the campus campers has really improved my work.

Ann, I'd be thrilled for you to take any ideas I have and run with them.  It can only benefit us all, right.  What's mine is yours, and I mean the collective "yours"  - that means all the "yours-es" in this campus.

Thought I'd jump on the flower bandwagon with a few recent photos.

Prikko - Beautiful countryside layout

Sue - Your usual beautiful work

April Dawn - Now I have to go to Australia- nice work

Bonnie - Congratulations on your silver. Always like to see what you are up to with pickleball

Susan- Our crows insist on landing to far away to get good photos. Nice job! I'll have to get a birdbath too.

I like the DIY challenges a lot and here is mine. I'm still experimenting with the sketch and watercolor techniques and used those on one of the many photos I took when visiting in the States. This is the rhododendron photo used in 3 ways. All the colors on my layout are taken from the photo and yes it is a bit pink. When I was in in America the rhododendrons were in full bloom but this is the star of the show and it is the state flower of Washington too!

Thank You Cristina..  i enjoyed  doing this challenge as i have not done one for ages.

Lynda Thank you for your comment and if you ever get to Australia there would be a lot for you to see. Your page is lovely ..

Corrie.. a lovely page  .. glad you are still experimenting with sketch and water colour technique  as you are achieving very nice results.

best wishes ,

Dawn.

In my first DIY I featured some of my lilies.  I decided to  feature one of my many, now Juvenile Robins. All juveniles have a  spotted breast, the older one are now showing a little  of the adult red breast, which actually isn't red at all, but orange.   All the Robins, and the Orioles are very clever, they pick out the small fresh blueberries before starting on the grapes.  Because they swallow the blueberries in one gulp, unlike the grapes.  blueberry jam in the  dish.

Photo split, created a wide grungy border for the background paper,  did it on a separate layer  to change the colour, blur  and noise.  Seamless tiled a  blueberries clipart.   Darkened the edge of the top shape, and used the  impasto script, which I won, on the middle shape. Extracted the dish from the photo, as the photo was  far to large to include it in the split photo.  The  bow is an element I colourized.

Lynda, Dawn,  Cristina, thank you for your kind words.  Your pages are always well executed.

Corrie, yet another  beautiful page.

Everyone has done such  great pages,

Thank you for your kind words Susan, using a photo for a background paper is  something I like to use.  You did a great job.  Always remember not  to let the background paper over power the page, my main aim is  always to maintain focus on  the photo/photos.  That goes for elements too. The eye must always be  drawn to  the photo/photos.

Thank you Sue, that's just the advice I needed.  It will give me questions I can ask myself when viewing my layouts.  I love robins, and never knew they were speckled like that.

Lynda and Corrie, beautiful layouts.  You both do justice to flowers.

Corrie, that is a really cool technique with the borders on your photo's and how they intertwine with the photo.

Lynda, we are lucky to have a "summer" crow family, now 3 yrs in a row.  I think they are used to us being outside and they don't even fly off the bird bath as I pass by to head to the garage to go to work.  the magpies toe the line when the crows are in the yard, but they are cheeky and push the limits.  I looked out the window Sunday morning and there was 10 magpies in the yard.  A record!  The magpies come for "spa" day as we have an ant hill in the yard this year, they sit on the ground and spread their wings so the ants can crawl on them.  the ants secrete formic acid that kills parasites an fungus (according my June Hunter City Crow calendar).  I know, ewwww.  I told my hubby he has to leave the ant nest there.  It's in an awkward spot so I cant get a good photo of it.

Pirkko, I agree, soul sisters we are.  I miss the country.  thank goodness for city birds, they keep me happy.  The suburban city I live in is small but I find it noisy, always sounds of traffic.  I miss the frogs I'd hear on the farm at night.