Scrap Bootcamp - July 2022

Cassel

These are my nieces. Interestingly, as adults, they never put their kids in dance classes. Could it be that they didn't want their crazy uncle embarrassing their children with similar photos?

The kit is Midnight Dancer by Whipsy's D'Zines from GoDigitalScrapbooking. The dancer was extracted from a photo on Pixabay.

Here is my project for Day 7 Project 3.  Well, it happened again.  when I was doing the journaling part the words were lagging behind my typing (I'm NOT a fast typer). I knew something was up and sure enough I couldn't save as PSP.  I am still able to work in the project, just not save it.  So I hurriedly did the shadows and saved as a TIFF and JPG with no problems.  I also copied and pasted as a new image  each element/paper layer to see if I can recreate this page and save it as a PSP file.  My first project this happened, my second was okay.  I blame windows 10.

Papers and elements from Digital Scrap book.  Both flowers are two flowers merged.  I used the eraser tool to cut the corners off the glitter paper and to notch out between the photo's, which are mine, part of a Flat Lay Photography project I am doing on Gazing Bowls.  The title font (Baby Heart) I think is Creative Fabrica (I have a font viewer and it includes Google fonts so now I don't know whose is whose.  The Journaling is Bell MT which I think might be windows.

I love seeing the creative and interesting layouts from everyone.  Lots of good ideas.

Thank you Carole on your comment about my shadowing.  I try a lot of different versions to see what seems more realistic... and  if I get stuck then I then I go with WWCD (What Would Carole Do?).

Harmony (#79583), good catch on the shadow! As you will see, over time, you will catch those details more and more.

Karen (#79587), I am glad you are learning tips and tricks. PSP is such a treasure chest that one can discover over a long period of time. I see you resized the images correctly without distortion. That is a common mistake with that project.

Jannette (#79600), those are precious photos. What a nice story to tell.

Ann (#79612), such a fun story to tell with those pictures. Good use of the shadows.

Susan (#79621), that is funny! I never knew that the calves would have their name on their tag. I thought it was only numbers.

Donna (#79628), as for terminology, if you downloaded a PSD file, that would be a template, and not a quick-page. Typically, quick-pages are in png format with holes for the photos. Nothing can be moved in a quick-page (and we will have a workshop on that in August!). Lining up the photos in this project is all about using a technique that can surely be used in various projects. Good job.

Allen (#79632), that is such a good idea to reuse the same photo in black and white on each side! I would suggest adding shadows to the photos and the blue mat behind them. It would add some consistency with the rest of the page.

Gerry (#79637), I assume, from your comment, that those are already "old" photos?

Susan E. (#79639), when you save in TIFF format, does it keep the layers? I suspect that as long as it is not closed, the image might retain all the layers, but if you try to re-open it later, it should be flattened. If it ever happens, try to save in PSD format, since that format will retain layers, even if you close the image/program. I am not sure if vectors would be retained though. - WWCD (What Would Carole Do?) :) Check the pink paper at the bottom. I think you either forgot the shadow OR have the layer hidden.

Thanks for the information, Carole. I did notice that not all of the pages had the option for PSD files. I only downloaded the ones that PSD for their versatility. My first attempt simply added a frame. They were not lined up, then I realized I had missed the opportunity to learn something new and revised my project. Here is my first attempt, no pictures.

Yes I did forget the shadow, but it's flattened so I cant add it now.  I had this one saved to this point before having the problem that I did add the shadow to.  I found out where it wont save from.  when I make a selection to put the text inside the selection. Once I add the text inside and click the apply button then deselect the selection and try to save that's when i get the error message that it cant save it.  If I undo to this point ( shown below) it will save the layout in PSP image format without errors.  I must be doing something wrong.  at least I can use this one below and try and save as a psd.  I didnt know I could do that.

I just tried the psd and it worked!  it did lose one of the raster layers ( the top left flower, but kept the raster shadow for it, that's funny).  That's minor compared to losing a whole layout without layers.  I added the journaling in the same way with the selection tool and no problems saving as PSD.  I dont know why PSP doesnt want to do that.  It's done it before with no problems. So it must be something I'm doing.

TIFF was flattened, no layers?

I just looked at the last one this happened to (Lab 5-11 layout) and it also had journaling where I used the selection tool to make the "box" for the journaling to be in.

Love learning new tips and tricks that PSP can do.  I appreciate the clear instructions and have been truly enjoying this Boot Camp.  The scrapkit I used on this layout was from Carla Ware at 3 Scrapateers, and is called "American Pride".  It's an "antique" scrapkit, close to 20 years old by now. Yikes!!

Susan (#79647), glad you can use the psd if the pspimage is picky.

Pirkko (#79654), you did a great job at resizing the images without distortion. I like that translucent fly wing over the text.

Kasany (#79659), beautiful images! Have you tried the glitters smaller to compare the effect?

Harmony (#79665), you are totally correct in your reasoning that ink element would not need a shadow!

Karen (#79676), I am glad you found the instructions clear and useful to learn something new. That is my goal! You will have plenty of photos to showcase, I guess. Good job on that 4yh of July layout. The shadows are all accurate.

Keep them coming. We still have almost a week before the end of the Bootcamp.

DAY 9-PROJECT 4: SCHOOL Daze - My granddaughter Anna, the first-born of my grandchildren, and her college friends in 2006 at UC Berkeley. She majored in Asian Studies and then went on for her MS in Speech Therapy.

I used a Pixelscrapper mini-kit called Argyle from Marisa Lerin. This kit had me struggling a bit to get colors to match, which is not my usual experience with kits. I think I'll also post the kit preview and you'll see for yourself! ;-)

The title fonts are: Britannic Bold and Childish. The small journaling text is Agency FB. The scatters are Picture Tube bubbles. I also used the Picture Tube to add stitching on the button.

I also made a template from Carol/Cassels example layout which I will post in our Facebook files.

I just love looking at everybody's work! You are all doing amazing pages!! And I have to add that when Carol posts where to find kits, its like an hour later I have to walk away or else I would be looking for paper and kits ALL DAY! I didn't know there was so much out there! It is so much fun!!

Ann, are you making the templates from scratch or with a script?  They are very cool.  thanks for making them.

Gerry, very pretty layout.  Your flowers look so vibrant.  I'm doing a Flat Lay Photo project with flower heads right now.  My husband thinks I'm a flower serial killer as I have to decapitate them to photograph.  I'm not good at growing things except weeds (which are pretty too, right?) and thyme, parsley and rosemary (for cooking, which I'm not at either).  ?