Scrap Bootcamp - July 2022

Cassel

Carole - I took a second look at the text and realized, that because of the colors, it needed more definition. The orange in the text was getting lost against the peach of the background.

The shadowing is subtle. Maybe too subtle. Or maybe I overthink too much?

Thanks. I always appreciate your eye.

Catching up after my holiday, so recapped on previous lessons and now hitting Project 2 - sorry a bit rushed but I think came out ok.

The photo is of my wife 'surveying the views' from the bottom of Peveril Castle keep. I have included one of the pictures of the Keep itself and of one the information boards showing how the castle would have looked in the Middle Ages. The views are staggering and I might change the Keep picture for one of the views.

Bed time now but will do the next project tomorrow.

Looks like this has been a great bootcamp.  Sorry I missed it this time. Everyone is doing beautiful work and I am glad to see several men joining in.

Gerry - Huntsville and the Space Camp has been my very favorite site.  My family and I have been there numerous times with and without the youngsters - one of my grandkids I did send to Space Camp many years ago.

Harmony (#79792), that is a very dramatic black and white photo and well showcased.

Sharla (#79806), it is totally fine to rotate the page idea when it fits the photo better. Good work. (#79821), That is a great background. Was it a ready-made paper or did you do it yourself?

Donna (#79808), I am glad you enjoy the bootcamp. And yes, even though the projects are "scrapbook-based", the same tools and techniques can be used in so many other types of projects! I look forward to seeing some of your cards, in the What are you working on? thread!

Hank (#79810), did you merge the photo and the frame before adding the shadow? That is what it looks like and that makes the shadow look odd as it shows on the bottom right of the frame, but not on the top right. Do you see that?

Gerry (#79813), interesting twist when using the overlapping/interlacing frame/photo! Great effect. (#79824) I think the one with the shadow is just right. You SEE the shadow when you really look for it, but it is not "in your face" to make you wonder why there is thickness. That is when the experience with shadows are becoming very useful.

Jannette (#79818), this seems quite frustrating. If more than one version of PSP is giving you issues, maybe it is not a PSP issue. Are you having problems with other programs or ONLY PSP? beautiful page!

Andrew (#79828), may I suggest that you have some sharp (not blurred) edges for your papers? It will just make things easier to shadow. Did you add that blurred edge on purpose?

Joyce (#79831), beautiful page. Your shadows are right on point!

Pirkko (#79834), great work. I see you used the interlacing/overlapping technique with the rope. Good place to use it!

Keep them coming. If you started late, you still have time to catch up to be entered in the draw on Monday night.

Day 11 Project 5.  I have three different backgrounds.  I had worked through the layout with the green background and when I was adding shadows I turned on the blue one and thought hey, I like this one better.  Same with the red one.  then I just couldn't decide.  I don't normally choose papers from the same kit and this time I did, even the flower and frame.  although the flower looks like a blue cabbage.  They are from Digital Scrapbook (Gina Jones "my everyday" July 2021).  The title font is Gills Sans Ultra Bold and I think the journaling is Gloucester, both windows fonts.  Photo is mine from my Gazing Bowl series that I extracted and put on a gradient background.  You can see I have journaling text this time.  And yes, I had the same error where it wont save.  always right after I've used the selection tool and put text inside the box.  So I hit undo, made the selection and put my text inside and then converted it to a raster  and it would save.  I must've gotten the only PSP 2022 lemon.  I think I'll  go back to 2021 and see how it performs.  Thankfully I have never had the saving error message on the title vectors.

Carole you have eagle eyes.  Yes, I see I did something wrong on the shadows of that big picture.  I'll fix that up tomorrow.

That's cool Ann, I had originally started out with the red one, then abandoned it and went with the green one. I still had the three papers in my layers palette, with two hidden.  What a surprise when I tried them out.  I'm leaning to the blue first, then the red and lastly the green one.  It's also the first time I did an adjustment layer ever.  I'm going to watch the master class on Adjustment layers and learn more.

I'm not sure what a "bounding box" is.  I'll add that to the list for the next Q&A.  Or is it just what the selection box is called.  I've had weird messages pop about about a bounding box and I have no clue what it meant.  So much more to learn.  Keep speculating please, I don't want to have to abandon PSP 2022 and go back to 2021.  I am presuming it's operator error, but I don't know enough to know what the error is that I'm making.  ? I am going to try doing some tests, I haven't tried adding text without using the selection box (I just love doing it that way).

Susan: It's probably not you. Even Carole admits that placing text within the selection can be tricky. I think it's a relatively new feature and may not be totally de-bugged yet. I do know that you can totally lose journaling text if you haven't made a raster duplicate. It's the vectors that seem to be the problem. And yes, I said bounding box meaning the selection area. I don't know where I got that term from ... :-\

Susan and Ann, I'm going to step into this conversation and give my 2 penneth worth of using the selection tool  to add text, whether it is to type your own text, or to copy and paste.  You can only copy and paste text  from an outside source  into a selection.  Which will allow you to edit it, (with limitations)  Even if you type your own text in a selection it has MANY limitations.  Using the selection tool for text has been  available for several year. Certainly  6yrs. I will say that on the odd occasion I have used the selection tool, I haven't encountered any issue

Personally I don't  use the selection tool with text.   For a shape I will use the vector shape tool,  or create my own, and convert to a raster, otherwise having 2 vectors in play  can be awkward, when using the text tool.   I use all the tools available in the text tool bar. Align, justify, sometimes.   What I use the most are the  offset, leading and kerning etc.  Guides too. It may take a little longer, but the end result is better than using the selection tool.

Thank you Sue!  Your experience is greatly appreciated.  I did not know having two vectors in play would have problems, which goes back to I don't know what I don't know.  Thankfully you do know.  I didn't know there was limitations and it explains a lot.  That's makes me feel better about it.  If I know there is limitations then I can find a work- around like what you have done.  I'm glad you jumped in to help get me straightened out.

DAY 11-Project 5

Here's my Vanda orchid project.  I used scrapbooking materials from "Free Digital Scrapbooking" and "Digital Freebies", 2 old scrap kits in my collection.  I incorporated what I learned from the video and am still fascinated with the zig-zag paper cut edge---very cool! I thank you for sharing your PSP knowledge, Cassel, with us.  I love learning new tricks, Karen

Joyce (#79837) the colors you picked matched very well the photo you are showcasing. (#79844) Good use of the glitters. I see you sized the photos without any distortion. Good work. (#79890) I see you used the round brush tip for the "pinking edges" which turned out to make waves. Very fitting for the theme of the project!

Susan E (#79848), isn't it interesting how different background colors can be just as nice, yet give a different result. I would also have a hard time picking only one! Your mention of not saving when you use the wrapped text makes me wonder if you have set the Compatibility mode to a previous version than 2022?? If you do get odd warning messages, take a screenshot and ask. Sometimes, it could be something simple to address.

Ann (#79849), you can surely add that question for our Q&A. Others would likely want a demonstration of the answer! And maybe something else can cover the text wrapping too.

Sue (#79869), I tend to prefer to use the Selection instead of the vector because it offers more flexibility. However, yes, there are some particularities with that tool.

Susan (#79873) are you using the hay bales from the Campus freebie?

Karen (#79877), those are such delicate colors! I think you might have missed one shadow on the ribbon knot on the frame. Is that possible?

Continuing my catch up - this is Day 5, Project 2.  It was interesting to learn how to copy the text to a Raster layer so that I could add Drop Shadow, but still leave it open to editing later by keeping the vector layer.  In his last few years, our cat, Lynx, loved to sit on a heating pad to help ease his aching joints...of course, sitting in his human's nice warm lap was even better!