Template Workshop 2022

Cassel

Thank you Lynda for your comments on the wood/glass pieces (#74493).  I believe these glass face beads were likely fused in the kiln.  they are beads,  Melanie would first carve a face in wax then used a refractory mold mix to paint over the wax, (many thin layers) then burn out the wax and the mold would be left and can be use with hot glass in the flame (Lampworking) and pressed into the mold or fused in a kiln with layers of glass with a mandrel (stainless steel rod coated in a bead release) in the middle, more glass on top and put in the kiln to melt the (fuse) the glass together.  Melanie and her twin sister (Leslie Rowe-Israelson) are well known glass artists in the world of fused/cast glass.  They were selected  by the Czech govt to come and teach their techniques (in the 70's or 80's).  They have taught at Pilchuck (Dale chihuly's school), had residency's at Corning Glass amount many other accomplishments.  I was blessed to know Melanie.  They do life size heads too.  The wood is left over pieces when I worked for my brother who made custom Japanese shoji doors and furniture.  I loved the knots in the wood and thought they looked like little museum plinths (stands).  And the collaboration was born.  You can find Leslie on FB or see her glass art if you ever find yourself in Jasper or Banff, Alberta.  I sold all my glass supplies and kiln when I moved to Alberta (from BC), but I still love glass.

Templates - Day 6: I used some of the papers and elements from the Janet Scott  Mini-Kit Elegant Autum. One of the photographs is mine showing our Bella. She loves to jump up to the bookcase looking for a good "Read" preferably one about cats. The other one I found on Canva under Library images. The font is Shenandoah Clarendon Bold which is a bit like the Clarendon Blk Carole used. I could not resist to add a bookworm from my graphics file. I added Hue and Saturation to it for better blending. Currently, I am in a book club called "Bookworms" so this lesson was just perfect. Thank you Carole for another great Workshop during which I  enjoyed learning many new PSP skills and shortcuts. I will be working on my final Day-7 tomorrow.

Final template - Paradise Falls - (very small falls) with quite a steep and uneven descent but worth the views. I am not sure which was the hardest - the going down or going up.

Everything on the page is mine the 'papers" are photos and the circle I made is a sine sphere. The font Aachen vertical.

Thank you Carole for another interesting and educational workshop, one with a large participation showcasing amazing creativity and willingness to share knowledge and ideas.

A big thank you also to everyone who posted for the pages have been a delight to view and follow along the adventures taken and meeting friends, family and furry family members past and present, all honoured beautifully.

Carole, I have tried to register for the Dynamic Frames, but although a message appears at the top saying I have been sent a link so far no link has arrived, and it sends me back to the log in page.  I also sent an email (replied to) the Cassel email, I am probably drifting around in cyber space dodging satellites!.

Carole - I just went back onto the pspimage of my template 5, and again ran through the tutorial. I don't know if it is a glitch on my PSP2022, but doing the select all when the layer of the stitching is highlighted doesn't flood fill the stitching with a colour - at first it didn't change colour, nothing happened, and then a 2nd time it flood filled the background of the stitching layer. I locked the transparency on it, and did each action as was on the tutorial. but to no avail.

I then went back onto it, highlighted the stitching layer in layers, locked the transparency, picked a colour, clicked the flood fill, and then clicked the area inside the stitching, and voila.... the colour changed :) All I did differently was not do the 'CTRL A' to select all.

I have found that sometimes taking a step back from a project for whatever reason is quite beneficial when something is not going quite right - gives you time to find a solution, question whether the actions were done properly or not, or run through things with a clearer head.

So, I finished the Cover for my Big Cat album so here's the whole series, 7 designs so far. I may have to do a "back cover" to end up with an even number for the album... The cover font is Broadway. The template is #7-Diamond that had 2 photos which I joined into one and then even joined the two groups so I could add some shadowing. I'm getting better at this stuff! LOL The striped paper was one of Marisa Lerin's freebies yesterday.

Lesson 6

I used some photos of the neighborhood kids playing croquet in my backyard. Unfortunately they all moved out of the area so I only see them when they visit the neighborhood. Miss having them around. They were a fun bunch.

I used Janet Kemps "Elegant Autumn" elements and just followed Carole's lesson.

Ann - Love your Big Cat pages, WOW :)

Here is my Lesson 6 Page. Really enjoyed this, and I loved working with the textured paper. The elements and papers I used were from Gina Jones 'February' Kit. I removed one or 2 of the placeholders. The hue/saturation/lightness, plus brightness and contrast were used to adjust the colours of the elements.

Carole thank you for your comments, the colourful one AFRICA, was actually cut out on the layer above, exposing the layer below, I put an inner bevel on it, but didn't think it showed up very well.

The flower on the next one, yes I did try, but there were problems, the flower that is to the back and looks like it drops down is actually on the background paper so couldn't use a shadow although I did think of cutting it out and using it as a layer, which I normally do in cases like that.  The large pink one to the front, the shadow stood out to the dark, looked like the flower had been framed and reducing the occupancy was just as bad, which governed the other flowers, and the sketched ones looked odd with any degree of shadow past 1, although the feathery one to the left does have 3 layers of shadow that surprised me, it just thickened it from the feathery look it had.   The dog hasn't a shadow as it looked like a cut-out as it was.  For the triangles masks, I gave each a shadow that also didn't look right, but I think that was a matter of the layers needing to be re-aranged.     It was good practice.

And this are the 2 templates of day 7 and that is the end of my story about the Balloon! Bon both pages I altered the template to what I needed for my story /photos.  On the "packing" page I wanted to use the compass, but that couldn't go under a photo, so for the round element I put it on top. The last page I rotated the template because my photos were landscape format and I didn't want to alter the certificate I got for going on a balloonride. I know only have to do a coverpage and I have my story complete.

Carole thank you so much for this excellent workshop!  I enjoyed all the work that was done by everybody!

Carole - Thank you for this workshop. Have learnt lots of new things - hopefully they'll stay in my head even though I have written notes for certain things.

Here is my Template 7 - The other day my granddaughter and I were taking a look at the flowers in my Mum's garden. She wanted to take some pictures of them and then decided that posing for photo's was more fun than taking the pictures.... She will be 5 in May and is growing up so fast!!!

The elements and papers are from Gina Jones 'February' Kit. I removed the flower placement holders, 2 of the long thin ones too. I locked the transparency on the 2 remaining placeholders and flood filled them with colours from the papers. Added 2 new 'rectangle selections' for extra photos and resized them. Adjusted the colour of the heart stitching with no problem this time around :)

An informative workshop, thank you.

And thank you to all that have displayed their marvellous creations and those that have given their time to share tips and advice.

Mary (#74511) a little trick I would like to share about drop shadows: when you have an element that goes to the very edge on the left of a page, if you apply a horizontal offset, it will show a tiny gap on that edge (same thing for a vertical offset if the element is on the top edge). In those cases, it is a good idea to set an offset of 0 for the horizontal (for the left side). I forgot to mention that during any of the tutorials, so I am adding this here, for anyone who might be using this template in particular. Once you see it, you cannot un-see it!

Anita (#74516) that little bookworm is the perfect addition to this page.

Euka (#74521) you should have received something from me by email about the master class. I am glad this workshop appealed to you.

Liz (#74523) whenever you need to resize a photo, it is important to always set the mode to Scale AND use only a corner handle to do so, never a side one. (#74526) Yes, the reverse shadow is something that we don't usually notice, but it still makes a difference.

Theresa (#74524) the older versions of PSP didn't require the Select all to work on all non-transparent pixels, but in recent versions, that is what it usually requires. If you click directly on the area you want to change color, it will work on all adjacent pixels. It means that if you wanted to color a word including five letters, you would have to click five times. That is still not too bad. I am still puzzled why the Select all didn't do what it is supposed to do. At least, you have a workaround. (#74552) I would probably add an obvious shadow on the title because the font itself seems to be in 3D.

Gerry (#74528) my guess is that you edited the photos to add those cute masks, right? If so, that is a great job. If not, you have a very immobile cat!

Ann S (#74537) I love how you have those photos with the big cats off-center as if they are sneaking up on you! I would be careful with journaling that is on two separate surfaces AND on a patterned paper as it makes it harder to read.

Lynda (#74540) those are really fun photos. You have a paint spatter on the edge of one paper. You can use the technique of writing on separate surfaces to give it that 3D effect. It works just as well with paint spatters. (#74557) Those semi-transparent ribbons are really interesting!

Alan (#74544) you are a natural at scrapbooking! You seem to be in your element!

Christiane (#74546) what happens when you just hide that layer? Does it still "show up" on your project?

Jnet (#74550) those are fun extra projects. Maybe you can use those FB headers!

Trish (#74554) I thought the flowers were really completely separate. I guess sometimes, it won't work if it is not well defined on its own layer.

Bonnie (#74555) it would be a long drive, but I still have in mind, the idea of organizing a live event, sometimes in the future. Although COVID didn't help, I could never have considered it while I was still working. Now, I'll start re-warming the idea.

Corrie (#74576) this was such a fun adventure. You carried us with you (but we don't get the certificate!)

Ann, I'm blown away by your Big Cat Album.  Jerry, I love your cats.  Do they have the same sense of humour as you?  Who ever said cats are aloof has never spend time in the company of cats. It's really nice to come home from work and get to see everyone's layouts.  They are so beautiful and creative.