Helping new DIAMOND members

Cassel

This post is only visible to current DIAMOND members because I specifically want YOUR opinion.

With 2022 at our door, I have big plans to help newcomers and new members. I would love your input since you are "on that side" of the fence.

With 10 years' worth of content now inside the vault, I think that it might be a little overwhelming or even scary when someone joins as a DIAMOND member and suddenly has access to all that. Remembering when you joined, what DID help you navigate all that content? Or what WOULD HAVE helped you?

Although I do have some vague ideas of a way to help, maybe you can bring up something I didn't think of.

Some ideas might be implemented (depending on how complex it is). Some ideas might spark something else. Some ideas might not be possible in the current tech setup. But all ideas are welcome.

When I first joined, I chose only the Lab, an option back then, and started to practice with the modules. I chose that exactly not to feel overwhelmed.

After a couple of months, I felt ready for the Diamond membership, and although I didn't know where to start at first (0verwhelmed!), I also felt like a kid in a toy store! There were so many tutorials that I had been looking for before on the net and couldn't find.

Maybe you can create an extension of the Basic Scrap Course with tutorials to create a page, cards, or whatever, with some chosen elements and papers. In the beginning, I had no idea what scrapping was, so after finishing the Basic Course, I wanted more. I understand that many members are not scrapping, but the tutorials can be useful to anyone.

For now, this is what I can think of, maybe more later. :)

Thanks Cristina. Yes, I was thinking of making some tutorials similar to the Basic Scrap, where I would work on a "complete page", while using specific tutorials from the massive list, showing how to put them together. A way to get started, while getting acquainted with where the content is.

I had to think about this, and what has made me feel the most success with PSP.  There is a lot of content for the diamond members and after taking the Basic Scrap course I didn't know what to do next.  I do admit I was overwhelmed, wondering where I should start (I didn't know enough to know what I needed to learn and that kind of stopped me for awhile).  Taking courses like the basic scrap course, bootcamps the challenges (Calendar, quick pages, magazine) are the type of format that I find works for how I learn.  Those style of classes have an end goal to achieve, by teaching a workflow (where to start and follow through to the end).  Being guided from start to finish takes the stress out of "where do I start" and teaches me how to use  techniques at the same time.   I wish the challenges were available for purchase because I couldn't take some of them since the time lines were too tight or stressful (ie. a page a day). I felt I couldn't keep up or the techniques would be too hard to be able to keep up.  I know that I need to make many layouts before I am able "go it on my own".

I, too, started with the challenges, etc. because it was helpful to have a particular project layout from start to finish with an end view in mind.  Then I moved on to the Labs as I had been convinced to buy the Diamond Membership because of the way you teach.  I really wanted to develop my own papers and elements so that I am not restricted in displaying or using them (even though I don't plan on selling them).

The Master Classes I am not working through, although I try to attend the webinars as they are in more detail about learning techniques.  The Master Classes have both the video and the detailed printout and a summary printout.  This is very helpful.

The Labs only have the detailed printout.  WOOPS!  I just looked at the one I was having a problem with:  The wire clip from a vector shape.  I couldn't make it work from the directions in the downloaded notebook, but when I look at the Lab on line, I see that you have a video with the lab that shows how to do the elements (the wire clip in particular).  SO - downloading the videos with the Labs would be nice!

When I started scrapbook I really had no clue what so ever on the techniques used and I didn't immediately took the Diamond Membership after I finished Bootcamp and the Basic Scrapcourse. At that point I followed the introduction to the Diamond Membership which you give I think twice a year or so. I felt that it would be too much because I didn't feel comfortable yet with all the basic techniques. I learned a terrific lot by participating in all the challenges and the chance to watch the videos over and over again until I got a more or less good result. Also the tips given to the others helped me understand what I was doing. Now I have the Membership and because of this period I know now what I want to learn and what isn't my forte at all. So I can concentrate more on the creative side of scrapping. When joining I still did feel a bit overwhelmed by the shear content of it. I didn't started doing whole Labs but I pick what I want to use from the creative scrap, the labs and the masterclasses. That there is an index now with the creative scrap is very welcome and something similar for the labtutorials would be great. What I found confusing is that there are items in the creative scrap which happen to have the tutorial in a Lab and are not on their own. The printouts are helpful until I know that particulair item by heart (flairbutton for example).My advice for absolute newbies would be take it slow!

I would love to see the Quick Pages one(called Busy something-sorry I forget the actual title), I didnt realize there was so much you can do with a quick page.  And the magazine challenge looked fabulous, that would be my 1st choice.  I really liked that format.  I also like picking from the Creative Scrap when I want something specific to learn or if i have a short amount of time.  Trying the quick techniques gives quick results and boosts confidence.  I have been eyeing the projects too.  I was planning on picking one in the new year as a way to keep me accountable from start to finish.

Thanks, Mary.

I have had a handful of requests for downloadable videos for the short tutorials. I always thought that they were short enough that once you have viewed them a couple of times, the handouts were enough to continue. Adding a downloadable option is possible although it would count toward the max of 10 downloads/week. I can still look into it as it would also add to the bandwidth.

Great feedback Corrie.

Here is an explanation for why the tutorials are in two "categories" so to speak. When I started with the tutorials, everything was in the Creative Scrap Index page. After 4 years, I decided to group content (tutorials and more) inside modules instead. But in order to have all the tutorials listed in a single place, I continued to add their thumbnails to the Creative Scrap Index page, so it would serve as an Index for all the tutorials instead of having to guess what lab module would have what tutorial. That way, if you are looking for a specific tutorial, it directs you to it, wherever it is.

Maybe that is the kind of information I should share, right from the beginning, with newcomers. Making it clearer what is where (and why) might help make sense of all that.

Yep, would like to see downloads on the videos from the labs also, please.

I would say that I wish the tutorials were organized a bit in topic groups. Or that the search feature worked inside the Class and Lab zones and did not send me off into left field outside the Class or Lab zones.

I was using the Creative scrap also as a place to find everything(except the master classes).  And those techniques lead me to looking closer at the labs.  I like being able to look by technique.  I would download the lab for the technique I wanted and got bonus techniques too.  I do like video downloads too.  There is something to video as it's been played and you are talking that gives you the full picture of how to do the technique.  It comes down to how we all personally find information.  I am happy with the way it is, once I understood the layout of the website I was able to navigate fine.

I love all the content. It was a little overwhelming so I decided to just jump in. I tried a few master classes then I went to the labs. I love the labs and the creative nature of them. They often give just basic instructions then encourage you to experiment and play with the ideas. It's right up my alley!

I still get frustrated with no knowing where to find specific ideas or techniques. A linked index or database would be so helpful. If there is one I have no idea where it's at. I think a landing page or a 'gateway'? page would be helpful. It took me a while to figure out that I should go to the pull down menu and then the intermediate classes to get master classes and then I hadn't checked out the labs because they sounded kind of technical and I wasn't sure I wanted a technical explanation about psp. I was so wrong lol! I love the labs!

Also if you could please just mail me a few extra hours in the day to play with my computer I'd be ever so grateful. ?

Jumping on the landing page conversation. My idea of a perfect page would be an alphabetical index with a link to the tutorial whether it be a master class or in creative scrap/lab.

The scrolling to find what I want gets old especially with the amount of information on (for example) the master class page.

If it can't be one page for all, even an alphabetical list at the top of the page with the link to the tutorial would help. There would not be as much scrolling through a text index to find what a person wants. This would work for both master class and creative scrap.

Just my humble opinion!

Overwhelmed is the correct word when you first join.

Maybe some sort of checkbox thinghy would help:

For example: What would you like to chose for your next project?

What kind of paper background (dots, plain/pattern) Checkboxes

Frame: (straight/round) Checkboxes

Ribbon (bow/ricrac/organza) Checkboxes

With help of those checkboxes you get links to the tutorial of the things you would like to put in your project.

Maybe sorting the tutorials from easy to difficult would also help. Now you see something nice and think: oh, difficulty 3, well, I won't chose that then.

Hi, I don't have much to add that hasn't been said. I need "categories" by project types or by tools used. Some sort of index (aphabetical as suggested). I wonder if having the tools used listed as part of the Master Class (when it's not self-evident) might work? (e.g. this project uses Gridlines; this project uses Warp Brush; etc.) When I look at the classes, I usually have something specific in mind that I want to learn or improve on. (e.g. how to create a scalloped border). I love the access but I still feel a tiny bit lost with so much to choose from.

Thanks. Julie

After a couple of days of searching for the technical option, I can tell you that an alphabetical list for the tutorials is in the making. With 400+ tutorials, and the holidays, it will take a while but it is definitely something that is coming. Thanks for that suggestion. When that is ready, there will be a few tweaks in the navigation too.

In the meantime, if you are looking for something in particular, just ask if you can't find it :)

If you are doing a list for all the tutorials is there a way to show (maybe in brackets beside the title) whether it is a master class, creative scrap or a lab.  I like looking for those items in their respective locations.  I'm happy with an alphabetical list at the top of each of those lists.  or would be be getting rid of separation between those three and have one big tutorial section?