Bootcamp - January 2022

Cassel

Here is my submission for project 3.

I am definitely learning. Even little touches like adding a shadow make a difference.

Thank you for providing this instruction.

Thank you also for all who are participating. The projects shared are done very well.

This is my Day 9 Project 4.  I remember at the beginning saying I was going to do all abstract, but havent...maybe project 5.  I am known in my work/personal life for dragging people to look at splotches on the grounds or puddles or shapes to see what I see in it.  I didn't know there was a word for it...here it is "Pareidolia; seeing recognizable images in otherwise random or unrelated objects".

The photo's are mine (I can not resist taking when I see it).  I did have a wee problem with the flood fill tool when i have made my selections it would fill only part.  I realized I was on the wrong setting and it all worked out.  I do the selection on the inside to get the 90 degree corners.  When I choose "outside" I get rounded corners and do not like that even thought I'd like to the put the frame on the outside.

I lightened the shadows (to a dark grey) on the photo's and the little kitty in the corner since they were already black and shadow just made them look weird.  I kept black with everything else.  Font (title and bottom) is Unicorn Express (from Creative Fabrica) that I learned was a freebie from Carole's newsletter (thank you) the yellow text is Ubuntu.  Papers, paint splotches and kitty (only on the layout cause it's cute!) from Digital Scrapbook

Pirkko - That's really beautiful.

Sharla  - Thank you. Your water lilies are gorgeous.

Liz Kershaw - Yes, I'd really love to go back there, I was fascinated by the giraffes :) I'll definitely continue to use the selections border etc - really handy tips to know.

There are lovely layouts being made, am enjoying seeing all the different layouts and elements being used. I admit that I am using the patterns and gradients of PSP to make my creations, but I was very glad to be able to download the glittery backgrounds from the previous project.

Project 4 features my mother's canning which goes back to her childhood. Growing up in the depression, canning and freezing food for the winter was a necessity. It also got us through some lean times during my childhood.

It's been a couple of years since she had to retire from canning. She turns 83 in a few months.

The kit I used is a collaborative bundle called At the Farm Market from GoDigitalScrapbooking.com. This was a "bonus" for orders of $10 or more which is easy to do on $2 Tuesdays.

Cassel,

Thank you so much for your guidance and help. I have learned more than ONE thing in Bootcamp. The rotation of the eraser to make the 'pinking shears' effect is brilliant! I must confess the first time I tried it I used the clone brush by mistake with a square brush, but it yielded the same results. I have learned to be more mindful of the shadows, careful with resizing, and I appreciate the free digital kits that have helped make these projects complete.

Oh, there are so many beautiful projects to view among this group of people. I love seeing the photos that are dear to your heart in your projects. I often looked for a 'like' or 'love' button to show my appreciation of your work. LOL!

About the eagle pictures, I live in central Mississippi, USA and I hike a lot with my cameras. I always look for wildlife and am blessed to have found two different eagle nesting trees within my area. I watch the habits and routes of animals and try to find the most discreet way to watch so I will not interfere or disturb nesting areas.

Have fun everyone,

Diane

So nice to see all those beautiful and different projects.

great idea with the background Peter!

Sarah, Thank you!

Day 9, Project 4.

These are pictures of my daughter when she was 6 years old, this year she will be 43 years old.

The font is Ravie.

I used paper and elements from a kit, themagnoliapatch.blogspot.comnsen12fb4poe86t3j1anc1lac8ey19uw.jpg

Ok I redid my Project 4 for the 3rd time. I was so tired after working on it most of yesterday that I forgot to change the Font on the second title word and I forgot to do shadows. So as I redid I tried to group (for the 1st time) the 3 photos, the pinked scissors paper, the two thin ribbon paper so I could move all that down on the page. At first I got a white border on the top of that selection and the right side. I can't remember what worked but I tried moving the group and the pick tool to expand - something worked. It probably took as much time as moving each individual piece.  Cassel I would like to learn how to group. I wanted the honey at the top expanded and behind the words so that is why the move of the rest near the bottom.

Diane thanks for your state where the eagles are nesting.  I live in KY but not near the Western Part where they have been seen.

I am enjoy the rest of your projects!!

Okay, I'm stuck again.  I'm trying to put the white frame around the photo in project 4.  I chose Magic wand, edit selection border, inside, 30 pixels.  Selected the photo.  You can see the border outlined in the screen shot.  I clicked on a white color, selected Flood Fill, brought the crosshairs over the selected border, left-clicked.  No fill.

Several questions:

(1) what's going wrong?

(2) I see 2 small squares at the top-left of the Materials palette - is that what I need to click to select the fill color?  One says "Foreground/Fill" and one says "Backgrund/Stroke."

(3) If thqat's not what I need to click, what is?

(4) If I wanted to use a texture rather than a color (I rather liked PSP's "wood grain" texture),  is that possible?

(5) After selecting the fill color/texture, the next step is to select "Flood Fill," right?  Then move the pointer over the selection area and click?  That's where I'm stuck. No filling happens.

This is particularly frustrating because I did this project last year and don't remember having this much trouble.

Thanks again for your suppofrt and expertise.

Peter, let me answer your questions right now.

1- I would need to see what settings are in the toolbar when you use the Fill tool

2- Yes, those two swatches allow you to use the top one if you left-click with your mouse, and the bottom one, if you right-click. Clicking ON those swatches will open the Materials properties dialog window where you can choose more colors, gradients and patterns.

3- See #2

4- Yes, by clicking on the swatch, you would have the option to choose any pattern you have, including wood grain if you have some.

5- Again, it might depend on the settings for the Fill command.

One thing though, you are currently working on a flattened version of your project. Most commands won't behave as you intended. Do you have a .pspimage version to work with?

I have been fighting with PSP2019 closing on me, so I have switched to PSP2020.

But my eraser brush has not given me what I was expecting. Instead of a pinked edge, I have blocks that are white, that have cut thru the background. I am working on the paper layer, and I even turned the background layer off, along with the photos....what am I doing wrong???

OK, it looks like that long feedback post I added last night disappeared. Very strange, so I will have to repost for January 25th.

Susan, that lighter title is much easier to read.

Ann, I guess it feels more realistic to have an opaque cogwheel than a translucent one (unless it was made of glass). Your artwork layout is very original. Even thought the painting is no longer recognizable with the kaleidoscope effect, we can still identify the colors and "textures" of the original.

Gregory, with practice, you will also learn about using different textures, different angles, different sizes, etc. So many things can be done with PSP. Your "Friendship" layout is great; you used good shadowing and resizing of the photos.

Mary, missing one shadow is something common. Sometimes, while working on a project for a while, we don't see details. It is often a good idea to leave our work for a while and come back later with a fresh eye and sometimes, the details are caught.

Marie-Claire, it is funny how now, as soon as I see a dog like that one, your name comes to my mind!!!! :)

Lavada, do you have a chance to enlarge those photos? I think they should be the stars. If you are using PSP2021 or 2022, there is a good feature to enlarge photos without distortion. I really like the little elements you added!

Peter, are you able to view the videos full-screen? It might help to view the cursor. Scanning the fabric gave a great background for your project. Make sure to keep that file for future use! You can even change the colors later for a completely different look.

Anne, for your layout, since the green area is fairly large, maybe you can also use a larger font to "fill" it. Those are beautiful feathers!

Theresa, it is interesting how you used "two-tones" for your cut-out edges. Very well done.

Diane, if you are using a lower opacity shadow, the blur should be larger. If your shadow is on a separate layer, you can still add a blur separately. It will be more consistent with a faint shadow.

Gramie, I think you might have forgotten the shadows in your "Busy Bees" layout.

Now, onto Jan 26th.

Mary, you used a different Eraser tip to create that "lacy" effect on the paper. That is a nice-looking one. I am glad to read that you learned something not just from the tutorials, but from other participants. That is the power of our community.

Sharla, with practice, some steps will become automatic, but it does take time. Did you use a picture tube from 2022 to add those birds on top? Great layout.

Liz, you might consider using a lighter color for your title to make it easier to read. Also, if you are using a thin font, don't add any shadow because thin writing would be associated with ink, which has no thickness to create a shadow.

Gregory, it looks like you are getting more and more comfortable with those projects. Your shadows and layering are very well done.

Randy, don't worry about being behind. You'll have time to catch up. Your layout is very well done. I see that you followed the instructions to the letter in applying the shadows and resizing the photos without distortion. And the glitters behind the photos is really making them stand out!

Jeff, welcome to the bootcamp. Since the images have to be resized in the forum, I am not exactly sure about your photos. Do I read "Old chandelier parts"? Is there a specific reason that all the elements are so small on your image? I am just a bit puzzled. Could you clarify that? For your second layout, I would recommend that you use black for the shadows. Even if the background is a different color, the lower opacity will make that color show through without having to pick a different color for each different background. What kind of waterwork are those? Are they fountains or other types?

Pirkko, those are great photos. Personally, I would not have added the overlay on top of the photos, simply so it would not cover them. They are so beautiful!

Susan, yes, that Fill tool can be an issue because I rarely change my own settings, and I don't think to point that out to the viewers. So many people have it set wrong, and they don't know about it either. Glad it is set now.

Gerry, that is a great layout! Did you add a shadow on the title? I ask because I tend to say not to add shadows on titles, but you seem to have added one that is so faint that the text is standing out but the shadow is not obvious at all. It is a great example of the Drop shadow being used for NOT a drop shadow but for emphasis.

Anne, great photos. I think the title would deserve some shadows as the letters are bold enough to be cut out of paper, don't you think?

Diane, I wish I had the function of "likes" in the forum!

Marie-Claire, those are cute photos of your daughter. Is it just my eyes or do they have a sort of pinkish tint? Maybe I should add a blog post on using the White Balance to tweak those colors.

Gramie, instead of grouping the photos, you can LINK them. It won't allow you to resize them, but they will stay together. I have an article on linking vs grouping HERE. Typically, the Pick tool will override the links/group. Instead, you should use the Move tool.

Lavada, glad you managed the Guides in PSP9. It is an annoyance, but easy enough to get around it.

Linda, those are fun photos to showcase! One tiny suggestion: on the title, it seems to be on top of the tip of the branch, which you could not do with the ink of the title. Maybe just move the title higher on the page, or lower in the Layers palette? I think that adding speech bubbles would be a really fun idea.