September 2024 - RANDOM Challenge - Back and front

Cassel

Random-Challenge.jpg

Here is a challenge to do something that might not be repeated in other months. Just an idea that popped like that (and you can also send me suggestions for occasional random challenges too).

This week, I want you to use the SAME PHOTO twice in your layout: once in the background, and once in the foreground.

You can use an "artistic" effect on the background version like watercolor, text painting, brushing, silhouette, pencil sketch, etc. while the foreground version of the photo would be the "original" one, without any effect. Let's see all the creativity you can come up with.

Template is from Cassel "Artsy" - The frame has been inner beveled. I used the Kaleidoscope treatment and then used Blur/Radial/Twirl on the photo in the background. This is my granddaughter-in-law Lucy Lu, mother of Magic and Raja in California. Her 35th birthday is coming up on the 30th so I'll be adding more to this for her birthday.

LUCY LU-RANDOM-FONT AND BACK_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

31 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Template is from Cassel "Artsy" - The frame has been inner beveled. I used the Kaleidoscope treatment and then used Blur/Radial/Twirl on the photo in the background. This is my granddaughter-in-law Lucy Lu, mother of Magic and Raja in California. Her 35th birthday is coming up on the 30th so I'll be adding more to this for her birthday.

LUCY LU-RANDOM-FONT AND BACK_600.jpg

Interesting interpretation of this challenge!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

The sunflower pick is mine.  The background was done with balls and bubbles . the top text is Misha GergovalMas the other text is am_intex,

front and back SUNFLOWER 6 b.jpg

Your sunflower is positively  regal, standing tall. May I be as bold as to make a couple of suggestions, as after all  you are the creator. I think you may have muddled the letters on what  I  think should read beauty. Also check the  kerning, as the letters aren't joined. I like the background effect, but it does  drown out the Sunflower and the text. Try lowering the opacity, and add a little blur. These are only suggestions, as I'm  not critiquing  your work. As we all have our own styles and  personal preferences.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Challenge, using the same photo twice.  I simply changed the photo to black and white, with some  minor tweaking.   The  other background paper was created using  the blend mode, HSL on two papers. I did mirror the original photo to give the page balance. 

Yellow rumped warbler.jpg

A great idea as always and perfectly executed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

A great idea as always and perfectly executed.

I appreciate that! By converting it to black and white, and tweaking  it to maintain clarity and detail, which is my preffered  way. As I  couldn't  bear the thought of  loosing  details. Especially when I go to great lengths to  get the best shot possible. I'm  almost certain you take the same approach too.  Actually in this case, the background black and white image, draws the eye to it, and not the framed coloured  photo. 

• Like 4

As soon as I read this back and front challenge I thought of the sketch made with cass-PencilSketch script of a windmill. Because the sketch is on a beige paper I made a background paper of the same colors to let the sketch blend in with the background. On the actual photo of that mill I used Jessica Dunn's mask for the June 2024 photomask challenge on digitalscrapbook.com. The postage-stamp is made with my own script and was already in my stash. Because the layout needed something extra I used an inked edge from Rachel M Hailey, she has a couple of them in different colors. It is a simple layout but when I tried some embellishments it didn't work.

Back&Front-Challenge-sept.2024-600.jpg

• Love 8

5 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

As soon as I read this back and front challenge I thought of the sketch made with cass-PencilSketch script of a windmill. Because the sketch is on a beige paper I made a background paper of the same colors to let the sketch blend in with the background. On the actual photo of that mill I used Jessica Dunn's mask for the June 2024 photomask challenge on digitalscrapbook.com. The postage-stamp is made with my own script and was already in my stash. Because the layout needed something extra I used an inked edge from Rachel M Hailey, she has a couple of them in different colors. It is a simple layout but when I tried some embellishments it didn't work.

I agree, in this case you didn't  even need to put a postage stamp. It's  almost out on a limb. The pencil sketch and title is all it requires. It's  nicely  balanced.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Might be simple, but very effective layout! How old is that windmill?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

We thought the same thing.  I did pencil sketch 2, too.  This is stunning Corrie.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been busy lately with another project so this is a sparse layout from me.  I needed a little PSP time so my brain could reset for the other project that I'm running into more challenges than expected.   the little photo is framed with a cutout.  I actually extracted the flowers and vase then made the selection around them and added the cutout. the good part was I didnt need to be perfect with the extraction as it blended in with the background.  I got lucky on that.

I also used the pencil sketch 2 script.  I played with the opacity of the layers and used a mask to make the centre yellow part show through a little more.  I turned on the photo layer that the sketch leaves intact to allow the the color to come through.  maybe a little too much though.  

Random Challenge Sept 2024-MERG-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 10

17 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Might be simple, but very effective layout! How old is that windmill?

I don't remember exactly but somewhere around 1740. It is very comforting to see something that is so old can still function perfectly today on the power of the wind! The mills in Kinderdijk are even a backup if the modern generators and pumping system malfunction.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Your sunflower is positively  regal, standing tall. May I be as bold as to make a couple of suggestions, as after all  you are the creator. I think you may have muddled the letters on what  I  think should read beauty. Also check the  kerning, as the letters aren't joined. I like the background effect, but it does  drown out the Sunflower and the text. Try lowering the opacity, and add a little blur. These are only suggestions, as I'm  not critiquing  your work. As we all have our own styles and  personal preferences.

I adjusted some of those things and more and posted the edited one under the first one. Thanks, especially for catching the misspelling that I can't believe I didn't catch. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

I adjusted some of those things and more and posted the edited one under the first one. Thanks, especially for catching the misspelling that I can't believe I didn't catch. 

You know, it happens to the  best of us. Myself included. I find when I'm  working on a page, for some time, it's easy  to overlook obvious errors. As I become so absorbed on something else. It is a good idea to walk away for a distraction and come back with fresh eyes.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I don't remember exactly but somewhere around 1740. It is very comforting to see something that is so old can still function perfectly today on the power of the wind! The mills in Kinderdijk are even a backup if the modern generators and pumping system malfunction.

You're fortunate to have good (simple) backups. I wonder what we would do here (Canada) if other sources of power went down.

• Like 3

I didn't read the directions carefully but here is my take of the challenge.

large.2024919GGOGettingthehangofthis600.jpg.c8a78034c7a51a9af3508e4869a5be2b.jpg

Jerry and I play with each other once a year or once every 2 years. (He lives in Georgia; I live in VA.) We have learned to play together and do pretty well. This photo is from last week at the Georgia Golden Olympics. We competed against 70-75 year olds and were undefeated. We won the gold medal for the age group 80-85. This was our first 80+ tournament. We hope to competed in Des Moines, Iowa next year in the National Senior Games.

• Love 9

I decided to do another one, something quite different, but a layout I like to do, as many may know. Hopefully, whilst  abiding within the rules of this challenge.  Duplicated the photo, promoted a selection, in this case the Robin. Created the frame using  a heart font, extracted the  head to give that out of bounds efffect. All I did for the background was to lower the brightness and contrast, Keeping the framed Robin colours as they were taken by the camera.  Male Robin taking a blueberry back to the nest. After he had, had his fill. 

Robins 8 Aug (20).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

I decided to do another one, something quite different, but a layout I like to do, as many may know. Hopefully, whilst  abiding within the rules of this challenge.  Duplicated the photo, promoted a selection, in this case the Robin. Created the frame using  a heart font, extracted the  head to give that out of bounds efffect. All I did for the background was to lower the brightness, Keeping the framed Robin colours as they were taken by the camera.  Male Robin taking a blueberry back to the nest. After he had, had his fill. 

Robins 8 Aug (20).jpg

WOW!  and WOW!  I love this. It blows my mind all the different ways you come up with.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1