Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

8 hours ago, Michele said:

Day 11 - Project 5

I'm not very good with flowers so I hope I identified it properly. If not, please correct me.

The photo is mine. I used various papers and elements from Mizteeques, AnnieC, Melisa Lerin, Janet Kemp, and the little flower under the text from Freepik. Whew. I made the little boxes by filling in selections with triadic colors and adding some texture. I can see now that I probably should have varied the textures. The clip and flower were two separate elements so I tried adjusting the drop shadows as we learned in the Shadows Workshop. I think I did it right.

The title font is Acmatic Personal and the text font is Aguafina Script.

large.Day110101600.jpg.2732d4d730f4137ac4e7c492dcc472f6.jpg

Lovely colours. I can pretend it's Spring!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 11 - Project 5

I finally noticed how Cassel was opening her papers and pieces without using the organizer palette.  I really like the CTRL-O (File open) option because it shows more options than you can see in the organizer palette.

Day 11 - Project 5-500.jpg

Edited by Leslie Gifford Cook
Forgot shadowing
  • Like 4
  • Love 6

As per Cassel's request in the Day 12 email, here is something I learned (or relearned) during this workshop. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever used the Magic Wand Tool set at opacity to select an element. I've always used it to select outside of the element, and then invert the selection. It's definitely quicker using the opacity setting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michele said:

As per Cassel's request in the Day 12 email, here is something I learned (or relearned) during this workshop. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever used the Magic Wand Tool set at opacity to select an element. I've always used it to select outside of the element, and then invert the selection. It's definitely quicker using the opacity setting.

I agree and do this always, it is such a timesaver! Isn't it great that we can learn something new on each bootcamp we do!

• Like 4

@Jacques Lacerte It is nice to know that the photo you used is a real person in your life. That painting effect made me think, initially, that it was a stock photo since you had not mentioned who it was. Glad to see that little smile!

@Euka Sometimes, the resizing can do odd things, especially when you go from 3600 to 600. The best way is to save as a .pspimage and .jpg, flatten the whole image and then resize. That way, you should not have issues with elements disappearing (which is notorious for wrapped text).

@Daniel HessI think that SOMETIMES, a very small bevel can give an interesting result, but it also depends on what you want to simulate. If you want to make it a paper element, then a bevel is not needed. If you want a cutout, a bevel is not needed. But if you want to make it a plastic element, then a bevel is quite appropriate. You can always start with a shadow on a separate layer, hide it and add the bevel. If you find the bevel ok, you can keep it. If not, you undo the bevel and unhide the shadow.

@MicheleLet us know if you get any response from him! And yes, it looks like your shadows are correct on the clip/flower combo. For the texture, did you use the Texture command? I find it very annoying that one cannot rotate those textures (something I have pestered Corel to add, unsuccessfully). If you want similar yet different textures, open the files used in those textures, rotate them and save them with a suffix. That way, you can get something similar.

@Ann Seeber Yes, I see the shadowing is "neater". I still see some feathering on the purple square. Is it possible or is it an optical illusion?

@Carolyn Rye Great layout and I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with your PSP. Your work really shows!

@Clarine I hope you have all the time you want when you retire. I love my retirement and it gives me so much more time to work on this site (it used to be just a side hustle).

@Donna Sillia You never have to use the same title or theme as in the tutorials! I should make it in flashing multicolored instructions for every tutorial!!! 😉

@Leslie Gifford Cook Yes, I open files directly from the menu icon instead of the Organizer. I don't have a very large monitor and I find the Organizer just takes up too much valuable space. Even if I was to get a huge monitor, I probably won't use it. It didn't exist when I started with PSP, so I never needed it. For your shadowing, I think the pie sticker is missing one, and for the rolling pin, you can try a much larger one, with lots of blur and lower opacity. It would just give a 3D effect for something that would be thicker than paper. Give that a try to see.

The issue of "disappearing text" is explained in this article. It is not really disappearing, but that is what it looks like.

For those who started to post projects and have not posted at least 4, keep them coming. You have until Monday to be entered in the draw! You don't want to miss out!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cassel said:

@MicheleLet us know if you get any response from him! And yes, it looks like your shadows are correct on the clip/flower combo. For the texture, did you use the Texture command? I find it very annoying that one cannot rotate those textures (something I have pestered Corel to add, unsuccessfully). If you want similar yet different textures, open the files used in those textures, rotate them and save them with a suffix. That way, you can get something similar.

I did use the texture command. If Corel added an angle option, that would be great, but it doesn't sound promising. Adding the texture was a last-minute decision and I was tired so I left it as is. I like your idea of rotating the file and saving it as a new one. I'll keep that in mind (if my mind works lol). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michele said:

I did use the texture command. If Corel added an angle option, that would be great, but it doesn't sound promising. Adding the texture was a last-minute decision and I was tired so I left it as is. I like your idea of rotating the file and saving it as a new one. I'll keep that in mind (if my mind works lol). 

Assuming  the elements are all the  same shape and size, you could even flip, rotate, or even mirror them once the texture had been applied.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I changed the photo. Except for the "hocus pocus," it was made in My Edit program. It took a while for My Edit to get what I wanted. My Edit is a Cyberlink program which is a yearly subscription. I just downloaded the full program called PhotoDirector 365 to my computer since it was on sale for $39.  

dshocuspocus600.jpg

• Love 6

19 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Assuming  the elements are all the  same shape and size, you could even flip, rotate, or even mirror them once the texture had been applied.

I thought of doing that, but I was too tired to do anything more. lol 😴

• Like 2