July ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - School

Cassel

I've scrapped all of my school pics already but don't have a small version to post. But I do have these 2 layouts about one of the elementary schools in town. It was torn down in 2010 and they let people go through it before that happened. My dad and his companion happened to be in town that weekend so we went through it. It had memories for me as I attended the school. It had memories for Martha as well since she taught there. In fact, that was where she met my mom and how the 2 couples became friends all those years ago.

2010 Centennial A.jpg

2010 Centennial B.jpg

• Love 9

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Julie it is so nice to be able to document the history of your village and old photos are a big part of it and make it more "real" for those who read the stories. My husband has been doing this for the small village he grew up in. A village of about 600 people and there were 4 bakeries, a grocery store, 2 elementary schools, 2 churches, a butcher, a bus service and later a garage with a petrol station. Now there live ca 1200 people and there is nothing , not even a bus!

I hope your husband enjoys the journey of documenting the history of his village as much as I have mine. The population of my village has declined, and there is very little left in terms of commerce, but it has great spirit, and the folks who still live there are proud of the heritage.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

When I saw this prompt about school, I thought oh-oh, not many pix available. I have spent my life avoiding being in front of the camera; hence there are not that many pix around, especially in those days when no one was carrying a camera around 24/7. We didn't have such a thing as Grade 8 graduation; I think I missed high school graduation (after Grade 13), and I also passed on both university ceremonies too. I was a pretty good student overall (it was expected at home). I was also into sports, but very traditional ones such as basketball and volleyball, track, etc. We didn't have a pool or tennis courts, or archery and fencing.

You need to know that the village where I grew up was small, as well as the schools there. The peak population of the high school was about 200 students, but we put out some great teams over the years and brought home lots of trophies and other awards. So I finally found a photo (from the newspaper back then which is not great quality) of me in sports. I am No. 22 in the back row. Our school colours were green & white. The high school was torn down 🤔 in 1980.

2024 Jul About Me vball.jpg

Great layout. Wish I had my yearbook handy, but it's in storage.

• Like 2

I was thinking about my H.S. yearbook when I remembered a former classmate had sent me a copy of our sixth grade graduation pic. I used a whole bunch of elements from DS/PS. The font is Sketchzone.

Now you have to guess which one is me!

large.AllAboutMeSchool02600.jpg.bf31d8464ad3d10b2f16ceff52e5ddf5.jpg

Edited by Michele
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I hope your husband enjoys the journey of documenting the history of his village as much as I have mine. The population of my village has declined, and there is very little left in terms of commerce, but it has great spirit, and the folks who still live there are proud of the heritage.

Yes Julie he has enjoyed it but at the moment there are very few things that haven't been documented and he transferred his archive with all the stories/photos to the local history society where it will be kept and made available to the public.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yes Julie he has enjoyed it but at the moment there are very few things that haven't been documented and he transferred his archive with all the stories/photos to the local history society where it will be kept and made available to the public.

I'm still working on the history (Book #3 will be out later this year I think), but when I'm finished I will be sending the files I've accumulated to our historical society as well. The village is too small to have even a local history group or a place to display the collections. But we are getting a large heritage plaque in two weeks which I helped with. It seems to have become my "mission" to document and mark the history of the place. And I'm so happy to be doing it!

• Love 2

15 hours ago, Michele said:

I was thinking about my H.S. yearbook when I realized a former classmate had sent me a copy of our sixth grade graduation pic. I used a whole bunch of elements from DS/PS. The font is Sketchzone.

Really? You want us to guess that? Just wanna enjoy all those adorable, innocent faces and the delightful layout.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I'm still working on the history (Book #3 will be out later this year I think), but when I'm finished I will be sending the files I've accumulated to our historical society as well. The village is too small to have even a local history group or a place to display the collections. But we are getting a large heritage plaque in two weeks which I helped with. It seems to have become my "mission" to document and mark the history of the place. And I'm so happy to be doing it!

Julie that is quite an achievement and you can be proud of it! It is a good decision to send it to a place where it will be kept and available for others as well. Will that plaque be officially unveiled and if so in your presence?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michele said:

I was thinking about my H.S. yearbook when I realized a former classmate had sent me a copy of our sixth grade graduation pic. I used a whole bunch of elements from DS/PS. The font is Sketchzone.

Red Dress in the front.  Love the layout!

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 1:23 AM, Michele said:

I was thinking about my H.S. yearbook when I remembered a former classmate had sent me a copy of our sixth grade graduation pic. I used a whole bunch of elements from DS/PS. The font is Sketchzone.

Second row, second from the left in red. 🤞 (is there a prize?? 😉)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Second row, second from the left in red. 🤞 (is there a prize?? 😉)

Sorry, but that's not me, either. (The prize will be pride in being right. lol )

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Michele said:

Sorry, but that's not me, either. (The prize will be pride in being right. lol )

Second row from the bottom, 4th from the left.  Cant wait to have bragging rights, I know I nailed it this time!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Julie that is quite an achievement and you can be proud of it! It is a good decision to send it to a place where it will be kept and available for others as well. Will that plaque be officially unveiled and if so in your presence?

Yes, it's one in a series being installed this year. There were seven last year, six this year. At the official event, the mayor of the municipality and others will attend. For a small village, there will likely be a good turnout for the unveiling as well as the reception afterwards. I hope to have lots of pix to use as layouts after that! So beware.....😉

• Love 2

50 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Yes, it's one in a series being installed this year. There were seven last year, six this year. At the official event, the mayor of the municipality and others will attend. For a small village, there will likely be a good turnout for the unveiling as well as the reception afterwards. I hope to have lots of pix to use as layouts after that! So beware.....😉

It would be great to see them and hopefully you have a lot to use in upcoming projects/challenges. I always like to have a good stash of new photos so I can choose what will go with a specific topic. Enjoy that day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phil and I visited our local butterfly house which had many beautiful butterflies. However, in this project I just featured, in my opinion, the most beautiful of all--the Monarch. I followed Lab 7, no.2, for the grunge texture. All of the pictures are mine taken at the Butterfly house. The bridge was made into a watercolor using the cass watercolor script. All the masks for the butterflies are mine. The fonts are from CF--Capella for the text and the single letter is Butterfly Logos.

I forgot who mentioned Lab 7, but thank you.

dsgrungewbutterflies.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4