Quick-Page Workshop - April 2024

Cassel

The extra QP for lesson 5.  Pictures my brother and I took on our trip to the Glass Bridge on Route 66 back in 2014.  The fonts are: Bell MT for The Mother Road and FutureXBlaklt BT for Route 66. Unfortunately the wording on the signs in the pictures doesn't show clearly.  The large one is the sign for the Route 66 State Park just outside the St. Louis area near the Merrimac River. The smaller picture is my brother standing in Winslow, AZ by the sign "Standin' On The Corner".

QP Extra 5_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Love 8

The butterfly photos are my own. The pink butterfly is from my 2023 Build a Kit. I changed the color with a gradient under the original and a blend mode and made the floral design mostly black to match the picture above it. The font is Butterfly from CF.  Using the pen tool, I added a block font behind the original and filled it with red. The bottom row of butterflies is from a CF font called Butterfly Joyful.

dsbutterflies600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

12 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Jeni Simpson Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and stories about New Zealand.  I had read and viewed stories and pictures about Australia, but not New Zealand.  A beautiful country.

Oh, by the way - have you been to the places where they made Lord of the Rings?  Peter Jackson left Hobitton there and it is a tourist attraction now.

Mary, many Lord of the Rings scenes were filmed around Fiordland, although I am not sure where exactly. There is a guide book available.
Fiordland is an area where I lived and worked and I have travelled over quite a bit of the places tourists go. One of my jobs in the off-season, was to guide travel agents to the various destinations available. Much of Fiordland is only accessible by boat or helicopter. There are few roads, the most travelled would be the Milford Road taking people to Milford Sound.
I have not been to Hobbiton.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Susan Ewart Wow, Susan. You sure are on a roll.  Your creating the text and then using Objects>Convert text to curves>as character shapes - really got me going.  I believe Carole taught us that in one of the workshops we've been attending - maybe the Text workshop???  Anyway, so I got to playing with it and this is what I came up with.  Because using layer styles means you don't have to change the text to rasters in order to bevel, etc. them.  Carole also introduced us to layer styles in one of the workshops. We have to remind each other of the different things Carole is teaching us - so much to learn (and maybe forget until one of us reminds us of them)!

Text Changes_600.jpg

Mary, THANK YOU!  this is brilliant.  And it looks fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Susan Ewart For Filter Forge, have you tried simply adding the path to the standalone version, inside the File Location for plugins? I am not 100% sure if it will or if it is, somewhat, a different "version" between the plugin and the standalone.

@Ann Seeber To me, "creature" is anything alive, big or small, so that bird is a creature (might not be the correct word though). Even with pages you are not 100% in love with, you are able to tweak them using PSP. Great skills!

@Jeni Simpson are those white packages some harvested crops? It is funny that they are square. Here, they are round.

@Mary Solaas Yes, Layer Styles can be useful. I just find them clunky to use, although they can give great results.

@Bonnie Ballentine I love seeing flower pictures especially when they are "fresh". We just got rid of our snow, and the most "spring-like" elements we have are buds on the trees. I have not seen any flower budding yet. And kitties!!! I love kitties!

@Donna Sillia You are really creative with that butterflies title! For the footsteps, if you set the picture tube Selection Mode to Angular, the footsteps would follow the circle.

@Anja Pelzer Great pictures for the cactus. Do you do anything specific to make it flower at the same time every year?

Keep this up. If you have not finished, don't worry as you will have another week to continue or catch up.

• Love 1

My Lesson 6 - font is Myanmar Text and Santa Claus. I turned the entire layout sideways and re-arranged a lot of the elements. I enjoy fiddling with stuff like that. The tall center row of hearts is a cass-heart brush tip used with the eraser tool and an added background layer of burnt orange.

QP6-EXTRA LAYOUT-BIRDS_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
fix typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson are those white packages some harvested crops? It is funny that they are square. Here, they are round.

Carole, the packages are round and is balage covered in a light-green plastic. Balage, is baled silage. Some more eco-friendly farmers leave them uncovered. 

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

For Filter Forge, have you tried simply adding the path to the standalone version, inside the File Location for plugins? I am not 100% sure if it will or if it is, somewhat, a different "version" between the plugin and the standalone.

I will give it a try. I'm thinking it might be way more convenient to have it there.

Day 5, plugging along slowly.  

These photos arent really meant to be shown small, detail is lost in the lack of size.  And why on earth am I photographing screws.  Hubby torn apart all the hard drives I brought home from work (they have holes screwed into them so they cant be used again) so I could use the insides for photo projects.  I walked into the room and saw the screws had attached the very strong magnets inside hard drives and thought, that looks like industrial art.  The wood plinths (two are laying on their side) are reject left overs from wood stands I used to make for glass bead makers (lampwork) (some with knots, some without).  They remind me of the big plinths you'd have in an art gallery show, but in miniature.  

Font is Nathalia (title) and Neuton (Extra Bold) both from CF I think.  

I changed the color of part of the QP using a layer mask (actually two masks; one for the band, one for the above and below part).  I need to learn how to duplicate and invert a mask, I tried but it didn't work.  

Day 5 Diamond Extra- Art on Ar-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 5

I lived for about 19 years in Christchurch and travel up there at New Year to housesit for friends.
The photo on the left is taken from the Port Hills looking towards the Southern Alps, The photo on the right is a cottage we stay in other times we travel to Christchurch.
marisa-lerin_QP_600x600_Christchurch_jeni.jpg.bbc5d4c193c7e443b206c28a33b51a03.jpg
In January, 2018 and 2020, I travelled with a group of friends to Tamworth in New South Wales, Australia for 12 days of the Tamworth Country Music Festival.
We travel to Tamworth by train from Sydney, a journey of 6 to 8 hours, depending on how hot the day is.
The train travels much slower in hot weather due to tracks possibly buckling in the heat.
marisa-lerin_QP_600x600_Train_jeni.jpg.e86ebf308c39b03426eabefbaeb57eb6.jpg

Ruby came into the family in January this year, sister to 3-year-old Poppy.
Poppy happily moved out of her bedroom to make way for her baby sister, she was so looking forward to the new baby.

QP-Non-Scrap-Ruby600x450.jpg.b7b203fd3f37e548dbeccc188ecfa44e.jpg

Jeni

• Love 5

49 minutes ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Carole, the packages are round and is balage covered in a light-green plastic. Balage, is baled silage. Some more eco-friendly farmers leave them uncovered. 

All haylage and silage bales have to be wrapped, due to the higher  moisture content to keep the air out otherwise the feed can be contaminated with botulism, which is a bacteria that likes the higher moisture, which can kill live stock and horses.  Haylage is  dryer than  silage, ideal for horses.  We did both, round and square  bales and  silage pits, which  would be compressed down with heavy equipment, and covered.  Unwrapped bales would be  straight forward hay.  Just thought I'd tell you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

All haylage and silage bales have to be wrapped, due to the higher  moisture content to keep the air out otherwise the feed can be contaminated with botulism, which is a bacteria that likes the higher moisture, which can kill live stock and horses.  Haylage is  dryer than  silage, ideal for horses.  We did both, round and square  bales and  silage pits, which  would be compressed down with heavy equipment, and covered.  Unwrapped bales would be  straight forward hay.  Just thought I'd tell you.

Interesting stuff, I didn't know.  I just dealt with baled hay and straw for stalls (for the momma's and babies not for the racehorses...they'd eat the straw, they had to be on shavings).  

• Like 2