Quick-Page Workshop - April 2024

Cassel

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Oh Jeni, you are so lucky to live where you do.  I have loved Australia since I first saw "The Man from Snowy River" and "Pharlap" many many years ago.  And New Zealand, so rich and green and so many interesting animals and birds, that I've only seen on nature shows.  I'm looking forward to more of your showcasing.

Susan, thank you. I, too, love Australia, the country has so much beauty, yet I believe we all can become immune to our surroundings. I found, that in Australia, many would tell me how lucky I am to have been born in New Zealand, yet there is so much beauty in their backyard, and they don't notice. 

• Love 2

Day 4 Diamond QP 

Here is a color flow from the subtractive color (absorbs light as apposed to RGB which is additive and reflects light) color system CMY commonly used for printing (inks, paint etc).  Starting with Yellow (very low on the value scale) and strong willed Magenta (fairly high on the value scale).  Note the colors of the flowers are not PURE colors, in fact if all all three primaries are present and not any one of them at full strength, it's a tone (Hue+grey).  Just keeping up with my color practice along with my PSP practice.  

I changed the color of the back ground with either Hue Map or HSL or likely both.  the Fonts are Flower Love and Friendly Cactus. I used Objects>Convert Text to Curves>As Character Shapes for separate the letters so I could move them separately.  Then rasterized and inner beveled.

Day 4 Diamond QP Flower Flow Y-M-600 .jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 6

And this is from lesson 3 - The font is AR ESSENCE.  These pictures I took on Monday - the eagles live in their nest in the top of a tree on the RV park.  It was a wonderful day for viewing and trying to get pictures.  I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7i with a small zoom lens (EFS 55-250mm) that I did not put on a tripod - but was lucky to get a number of great shots.  I do not do the photographer thing (like Susan Ewert, Sue Thomas, and Ann Seebert) but use the automatic settings- this one was landscape. These have been enhanced and cropped.  Of course with PSP.

QP-Non-Scrap-3.jpg

• Love 6

14 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

and Ann Seeber

Thanks for the compliment, Mary, but I'm not really much of a photographer. I only have an iPhone XS and with upgrades the photos are now more easily edited. I found if I touch the main object in a photo the software indicates it will do an extraction for me! I think this is wonderful! 😁

• Like 3

While going through my pictures I ran across this one I took a bunch of years ago at the farm I boarded my horse at.  I wound up using the (QP2024-Extra1) to showcase it.

What s this thing   2    6.jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Haha 1
  • Love 7

Still showcasing "The Gunks." The area is where my Terwilliger ancestors on my father's side settled when they arrived in the New World from Amsterdam in the 1600s. His birthplace was named Granite. This QP had room for a bit of journaling. 

QP-LESSON FOUR - EXTRA - THE GUNKS-CLIMBING_600.jpg

• Love 7

@Susan Ewart For Filter Forge, it is a plugin that you can access from PSP directly. Under Effects > Plugins > Filter Forge. Do that while your image is active in PSP and it will automatically "open in FF". Those irregular letters on the Flower Power makes the layout so much fun!

@Jeni Simpson Great choice of photos for those pages!

@Michele That photo really made me smile. Isn't that a great attitude we should all have?

@Ann Seeber Isn't that great to see those cute creatures so close to home!? It is great that you find space to add a lot of information about your photos on the page.

@Anne Lamp Is that you, dancing, in the photo?

@Mary Solaas On your Museum photo, did you place the photo on top of a shadow? It looks like part of the shadow on the plant is missing. Moving the arrow is definitely a chore; it is not really meant to be moved as it is a flattened png format! You are making things hard on yourself 🙂 Interesting to see that a bride was not wearing white at her wedding. You are also adding fun information to your pages.

@Donna Sillia Beautiful cat! Black cats can look mysterious!

@Bonnie Ballentine Are the deer photos from the cam?

Keep them coming, and if anyone has not started yet, you can still do so. Those pages are quick to make so you should easily catch up.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Susan Ewart For Filter Forge, it is a plugin that you can access from PSP directly. Under Effects > Plugins > Filter Forge. Do that while your image is active in PSP and it will automatically "open in FF". Those irregular letters on the Flower Power makes the layout so much fun!

@Michele That photo really made me smile. Isn't that a great attitude we should all have?

@Ann Seeber Isn't that great to see those cute creatures so close to home!? It is great that you find space to add a lot of information about your photos on the page.

@Mary Solaas On your Museum photo, did you place the photo on top of a shadow? It looks like part of the shadow on the plant is missing. Moving the arrow is definitely a chore; it is not really meant to be moved as it is a flattened png format! You are making things hard on yourself 🙂 Interesting to see that a bride was not wearing white at her wedding. You are also adding fun information to your pages.

Keep them coming, and if anyone has not started yet, you can still do so. Those pages are quick to make so you should easily catch up.

Yes, the trail camera. I don't have it up now...should get it going again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I remembered from Build A Kit - Alphas about making the text into characters.  I felt pretty happy that I remembered it.  About Filter Forge, currently it's a stand alone product for me.  I didnt want it in PSP because it used to really bog down my system when it was rendering the effects on it's own, I thought it would make PSP crash.  But now my system barely has to lift a finger to use FF.  Here's my problem.  I don't know how to make it a plug-in in PSP.  Does the masterclasses show how to do that?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

Isn't that great to see those cute creatures so close to home!?

What creatures are you seeing, Cassel? The only animal I have showcased this time is one bird, the white-crowned sparrow. Are you sure you are talking about one of my layouts?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4 Diamond QP 

Here is a color flow from the subtractive color (absorbs light as apposed to RGB which is additive and reflects light) color system CMY commonly used for printing (inks, paint etc).  Starting with Yellow (very low on the value scale) and strong willed Magenta (fairly high on the value scale).  Note the colors of the flowers are not PURE colors, in fact if all all three primaries are present and not any one of them at full strength, it's a tone (Hue+grey).  Just keeping up with my color practice along with my PSP practice.  

I changed the color of the back ground with either Hue Map or HSL or likely both.  the Fonts are Flower Love and Friendly Cactus. I used Objects>Convert Text to Curves>As Character Shapes for separate the letters so I could move them separately.  Then rasterized and inner beveled.

Day 4 Diamond QP Flower Flow Y-M-600 .jpg

I love everything about this, Susan. Thanks for sharing what you did.

• Like 1

Doubtful Sound in Fiordland is accessible by boating across Lake Manapouri, then travelling by bus across the Wilmot Pass to Deep Cove.
It is a popular tourist destination and somewhere I worked on the first overnight launch trip to the Tasman Sea in 1992.
On the overnight journey passengers have the opportunity to either take a kayak onto the Sound, or to enjoy being taken out on board a tender.
marisa-lerin_107859_QP_600x600_DoubtfulSound_jeni.jpg.6b565a47d8b2541237e922e9c37ba1a9.jpg

I spent my 70th birthday in Riverton, about an hour away from my home in Eastern Southland.
It is a beautiful fishing village on the south coast where my great-grandparents lived, and mu grandfather was born.

marisa-lerin_107861_600x600_Riverton_jeni.jpg.3d06b35e5a0fdfbcf1fa752b36515a0b.jpg

Travelling down from Venlaw Forest, near where I live, one gets a great view across farmland in Eastern Southland, New Zealand.

QP-Non-Scrap_600x400_Venlaw2_jeni.jpg.ed332ae68ad9446beae9d844d1c14c20.jpg

Jeni

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 5

@Cassel I went back to the pspimage for the Museum piece.  The picture was placed in the slot for the picture.  The shadow of the fern leaf that comes over the picture shows up.  Only in the reduced image is it to faint to be seen.  You have such a good eye.

• Like 2

@Jeni Simpson Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and stories about New Zealand.  I had read and viewed stories and pictures about Australia, but not New Zealand.  A beautiful country.

Oh, by the way - have you been to the places where they made Lord of the Rings?  Peter Jackson left Hobitton there and it is a tourist attraction now.

• Like 3

Not a fan of this QP but I fiddled with the decor and the opacity to create a display of some black and white photos from my family's past. The title font is My Butterfly massaged a bit with the Sculpture Effect. 

QP-LESSON FIVE - A STEP BACK IN TIME_600.jpg

• Love 6

@Susan Ewart Wow, Susan. You sure are on a roll.  Your creating the text and then using Objects>Convert text to curves>as character shapes - really got me going.  I believe Carole taught us that in one of the workshops we've been attending - maybe the Text workshop???  Anyway, so I got to playing with it and this is what I came up with.  Because using layer styles means you don't have to change the text to rasters in order to bevel, etc. them.  Carole also introduced us to layer styles in one of the workshops. We have to remind each other of the different things Carole is teaching us - so much to learn (and maybe forget until one of us reminds us of them)!

Text Changes_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 4
  • Love 2