April 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

15 hours ago, Sharla said:

Week 17 We have a small patch of wild garlic in the garden. The photo is of wild garlic flowers. I really like how bright the white came out on the photo.

week 17 600.jpg

Beautiful pic. Do you ever use it to cook? I had to look it up and found out it is edible.

Edited by Michele
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Michele said:

Do you ever use it to cook? I had to look it up and found out it is edible.

I've aways meant to but have never got round to it. I do, however, appreciate the smell. When it's flowering it gives of a light garlic scent  - I love it but I know some people hate it. In the UK you tend to find it in woodlands. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sharla said:

I've aways meant to but have never got round to it. I do, however, appreciate the smell. When it's flowering it gives of a light garlic scent  - I love it but I know some people hate it. In the UK you tend to find it in woodlands. 

You are right Sharla, it does grow in woodland areas often amongst the bluebells in the UK, as it did in our wooded area. I used to cook with it. It has a milder flavour.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:16 PM, Sharla said:

Week 17 We have a small patch of wild garlic in the garden. The photo is of wild garlic flowers. I really like how bright the white came out on the photo.

week 17 600.jpg

Sharla, this is a simple and lovely layout. The flowers are so delicate and beautiful.

I remember the first time I saw wild garlic (Bärlauch) here. We were riding our bicycles in the forest, and after a turn, we came to huge patches of it... Back then, we had no idea what plant it was ... Over the years, it became more known, and now people make pesto, spreads, mix with butter, etc.

baerlauchpesto.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Week 14 Version 2.0

Well, I posted this once already only to notice I used a T-cup that I used before.  I had to compress this quite a bit so it's super blurry looking here.  I'll try and post on FB if I get more caught up this weekend.  I changed up the magnet holding the card in place for the 2nd quarter of this challenge.  The Lifted Photo script was put to good use and most thankful for the shadow that accompanies it.  The background is one layer of a gradient, duplicate it and I think I might have added lots of repeats, then Effect>Reflection>Kaleidoscope and stopped at this one which looks like a textures cement wall at night with a spotlight (gelled blue) on it.  I used a blend mode on that second dup layer (Hue).  I kept the outline frame and text the same red that comes with the script and applied a blend mode (Hue-Legacy) to make it look like it was painted onto the "cement" wall. Font is Asher Punk (CF likely).   It actually looks more dramatic with the original wrong cup I put on it.  

01 P52 Wk14 - 5 Clubs-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 5

Week 15

White, Gold, Black is the theme.  The fonts are Compress (Week 15) and Cormorant Unicase, I think these are google fonts (my font viewer came with 5K of fonts (some families have 3-7+ fonts in them).  Gradient background with a texture added (Texture>texture effects).

P52 Wk15 - 4 Clubs-600.jpg

• Love 6

Week 16

All my ducks line up in a row (centered actually).  Except the T-cup which I tipped over a bit.  

Papers from Creative Fabrica: the Dutch Lady -Daphne Populiers - Watercolor Inc Splash Backgrounds, Sandy Shores.  Two papers with a blend mode surprise for me that it matched the magnet and the t-cup.  

Fonts Country Wedding (Week 16) and Couple Heart from either CF or Google.

P52 Wk16 - 7 Hearts-600.jpg

• Love 5

Week 17

I used a background from Janet Scott (digitalscrabook.com); Christmas Memories-blue wood.  then added an effect: Effects>distortion>Spiky Halo.  

Fonts are Daughter (Week 17) and Dangrek from CF or Google

P52 Wk17 - 4 Spades-600.jpg

• Love 5

Posted (edited)

Can you help me.  I must be doing something wrong.  I noticed this in 3 of my layouts as I was about to save it that the card and magnet seemed blurry/out of focus.  I had to actually copy/paste them in again.  Here is a couple comparisons.  when I make my layouts. I have the blank template with the frame and text.  from there the order is:

• add card to layout
  • add magnet to layout
  • work on background layer (lots of adding and delete, trying out gradients/textures/blend modes etc - not touching the above two elements at all
  • then work on the text layers
  • save

am I doing something in the wrong order for this to be happening.  My elements are whatever the card size is, I dont up or down size except a small amount and usually smaller and not larger.  the magnet is HUGE so is downsized with the pick tool and therefore should retain it's sharpness.  And they are sharp when I first add the elements in.  It's after when I'm done the rest that I notice they seem blurry.  

Playing card original (blurry) on left

Magnet original (blurry) on right

why is this blurry 2.1.jpg

why is this blurry.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
more info
  • Like 1

I know it doesn't address your problem, but I posted Week Eighteen in the May thread for P52. Your issue must be very annoying as I know you are meticulous with your presentations. Looking forward to seeing what might be causing this. Good luck! ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I know it doesn't address your problem, but I posted Week Eighteen in the May thread for P52. Your issue must be very annoying as I know you are meticulous with your presentations. Looking forward to seeing what might be causing this. Good luck! ❤️

Oh thank you, I reposted in May and deleted from April.  I even wrote that down that 14-17 was in April and 18 was in May because I thought I'd forget.  The weird issue distracted me I think.  

• Love 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic
On 5/6/2024 at 12:36 AM, Susan Ewart said:

the card and magnet seemed blurry/out of focus.

I'm curious if you worked out why this was happening Susan. I read the order in which you were doing things and couldn't see a reason - I know that sometimes it seems to be caused by copying a duplicate.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:36 PM, Susan Ewart said:

White, Gold, Black is the theme

I love your attention to detail and your creativity in making each card unique. I only joined this challenge because it meant I could get away with just putting  a photo in a frame and it is strange how hard that can be some weeks 😊

• Like 2

Week 16 and I have arrived safely in California and of course it was fantastic to see them all standing at the airport to welcome me! At home there were 2 exited dogs to greet me as well. In the first weekend we got to see some of the flowers in bloom on the meadows. It wasn't quite the superbloom of last year, but nevertheless still pretty impressive to me. I took a lot of photos and I have no doubt that those will come to good use in the months to come. 

WEEK-16-600.jpg

• Love 2

This weekend we went to San Luis Obispo and highway 120 that we had to follow is the historic El Camino Royal. In the hills above San Luis Obispo we stayed in a cabin on a camping and because there is no light pollution, the night sky was so clear with the stars much more visible then at hone. I stood a long time outside looking at the sky! The next day we took a scenic route and came by Soda Lake an alkali wetland with a salt crust that was already used in earlier times by the indigenous people of the area. We followed a winding road along part of the San Andreas Vault and you can see the difference in the landscape where the vault runs through. Our next stop was at Daou vineyard where we had a tasting of their wines, that is my son in law and I, my daughter was driving and the girls are to young. The story of the vineyard and the explanation of their wines was very interesting and they served nice food to go with the wines as well. 

WEEK-17-600.jpg

• Love 2