March FREEBIE Challenge (2024)

Cassel

spacer.png

Freebies are great resources that you can find in many places to build a library of elements, graphics, and tools. Since they are free, they are available to all.

For March how about using the basic template for the Slipped In Corners script, and making a masterpiece out of it? 

spacer.png

Remember that you can move the photo wherever you want on the project so it is quite versatile. Once you add paper underneath, the little tabs will automatically match!

It is available on this blog post

• Like 1

I had a little free time this evening and made something for this challenge, a very nice one too. At the moment a lot of the early bulbs are in flower and the photo I used was taken yesterday on a sunny day. I know I have often lamented about the rain we were getting, but now we have sunny days as well! The cluster with tulips I had made for another layout but it fits here too and the daffodils came from ????? Font is Austin. Enjoy my colorful spring!

Freebie Challenge-March2024-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

This is going to sound really daft.  I downloaded the  freebie. I had a complete mental block, not knowing how to use it.  So I decided to  do what I always do, and that is create my own  slip it in.  You  will often see  the slip it in technique used in many of my pages.  

slip it in Hare .jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

These photos showed up in The Hudson Valley in Pictures yesterday and I couldn't resist as I'm related to Louis Bevier through my father, Harold Terwilliger. His grandfather was married to Sara Bevier, a great-granddaughter of Louis. I've never been to Huguenot Street but a trip is planned! My "template" was just a .jpg so it took some maneuvering to create the "slipped-in" look. Thank goodness for promoted layers! I had to stick with the plain background because of that so I did a colorization and added a texture. The title font is Belisha. I created the brad from a piece of Huguenot art and one in my stash.  

1698 BEVIER HOUSE_600.jpg

• Love 9

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

These photos showed up in The Hudson Valley in Pictures yesterday and I couldn't resist as I'm related to Louis Bevier through my father, Harold Terwilliger. His grandfather was married to Sara Bevier, a great-granddaughter of Louis. I've never been to Huguenot Street but a trip is planned! My "template" was just a .jpg so it took some maneuvering to create the "slipped-in" look. Thank goodness for promoted layers! I had to stick with the plain background because of that so I did a colorization and added a texture. The title font is Belisha. I created the brad from a piece of Huguenot art and one in my stash.  

1698 BEVIER HOUSE_600.jpg

Ann you did what I did to get the slipped in look! I hope you don't mind me saying so but shouldn't the black shadow line on the left side of the photo be on the right side. The shadow on your title is to the right with the light coming from the left.

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

9 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ann you did what I did to get the slipped in look! I hope you don't mind me saying so but shouldn't the black shadow line on the left side of the photo be on the right side. The shadow on your title is to the right with the light coming from the left.

Oh, you just gave me a wake-up-call. I ROTATED the photo area! That's why it's wrong. *slaps forehead* 😉

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Michele said:

I only got two jpg's and a pdf with her tou.

image.jpeg.8e22d4c352924f1877412c701c5ea998.jpeg

Michele, I had the same problem at first but Carole replaced the zip file with one including a layered template. I went and downloaded it again.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, Michele said:

I only got two jpg's and a pdf with her tou.

image.jpeg.8e22d4c352924f1877412c701c5ea998.jpeg

The folder I  downloaded didn't  include the psp file either. I couldn't work out how to use the jpeg either.  What a relief, as I  thought I  was having a mental block. Especially after seeing what Ann and Corrie had posted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

The folder I  downloaded didn't  include the psp file either. I couldn't work out how to use the jpeg either.  What a relief, as I  thought I  was having a mental block. Especially after seeing what Ann and Corrie had posted.  

Sue, I had the same problem but I went ahead with the jpg file and converted it to a template. I also rotated the photo area, which ended  up screwing up my shadows but I didn't realize that until later. It was tricky converting Carole's shadows which created the "slipped in" effect but I did it (even if it turned out sideways! 😉 ) I did download the psp file later but had already done so much work that I was unwilling to start all over again!

17 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Sue, I had the same problem but I went ahead with the jpg file and converted it to a template. I also rotated the photo area, which ended  up screwing up my shadows but I didn't realize that until later. It was tricky converting Carole's shadows which created the "slipped in" effect but I did it (even if it turned out sideways! 😉 ) I did download the psp file later but had already done so much work that I was unwilling to start all over again!

I admire your tenacity in  persevering with the jpeg.  I opted to create my own  slip it in effect. As for  rotating the photo area, I can not stress strongly enough, never ever rotate anything which has shadows which can not be removed, in a jpeg or png.  Oh well, we are constantly learning, through trial and error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

But I only got the jpeg files too, but I figured out how to use them. Now I will go and download the others!

• Haha 1

I used the pspimage. Font is The Camping from Creative Fabrica.  Joe took a picture of the mileage on 3/3/23.  Of course the mileage has increased - don't know if he took a picture when it was 234567 or not, but I thought it would be a good choice for this challenge. The pic of him playing the guitar was taken in April 2021.

RV Travels_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

I used the pspimage. Font is The Camping from Creative Fabrica.  Joe took a picture of the mileage on 3/3/23.  Of course the mileage has increased - don't know if he took a picture when it was 234567 or not, but I thought it would be a good choice for this challenge. The pic of him playing the guitar was taken in April 2021.

RV Travels_600.jpg

I play like that with my odometer also. Fun!

• Like 2

At the start of this freebie challenge I had the jpeg file and I only noticed much later that I should have downloaded the psp file! So here is a new layout with the psp file and that made it all so much easier, plain sailing like Sue said! I decided to have a bit of fun and made something not from scratch but I used  papers and elements from my stash. I used a kit from the March 2021 Blogtrain called Spring Magnolia, which I found rather fitting because my photo is of a magnolia bud.

Sliped-in Magnolia-600.jpg

• Love 9

I made the  Simnel cake a month back, for Mother's Day on the 10th March.  The date differs every year, as do Easter.  Traditionally they are  not as rich as Xmas fruit cakes. It has a layer of  home made almond paste  through the centre of the cake and on top. Not being relgious my mother  and I carried the tradition on by  having the cake  for Mothering Sunday.  As it does have significance  for that day.    The eleven balls is suposed to  represent the 11 apostles. I decorated it  purely for an Easter photo, them removed the  eggs.   Finally downloaded the  psp template, to correctly participate in this challenge.  The colours I took from the photo. Pinned element, scallops,  ring is  my own, the tag is one I made back in 2021.  Carole's corner and page punches. 

Simnel Cake Template challenge.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 7

15 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I made the  Simnel cake a month back, for Mother's Day on the 10th March.  The date differs every year, as do Easter.  Traditionally they are  not as rich as Xmas fruit cakes. It has a layer of  home made almond paste  through the centre of the cake and on top. Not being relgious my mother  and I carried the tradition on by  having the cake  for Mothering Sunday.  As it does have significance  for that day.    The eleven balls is suposed to  represent the 11 apostles. I decorated it  purely for an Easter photo, them removed the  eggs.   Finally downloaded the  psp template, to correctly participate in this challenge.  The colours I took from the photo. Pinned element, scallops,  ring is  my own, the tag is one I made back in 2021.  Carole's corner and page punches. 

Simnel Cake Template challenge.jpg

The cake looks delicious and I would love a slice for Easter 😋. I love the colors on this layout, very subtle but unmistakably Easter! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1