Working on a book - Help me out!

Cassel

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

A bigger monitor typically will have a higher resolution, and a higher resolution will result in smaller display. That is why I purposefully use a lower resolution on my monitor when I record tutorials or hold classes.

Then, in order to increase the size of the thumbnails, you can go to File > Preferences > General Program Preferences > Palettes and you can change the Palette Thumbnail size from the 50 pixels default to something else. You can also change the Tooltips Thumbnail to something large and that will give a bigger image when you hover over a layer.

This is what I do: I use no thumbnails at all but have large tooltips. I like that almost all layers are visible when I'm working. I'm also pretty compulsive about labeling the layers. I do have the script but sometimes, especially with a template, the supplied names are not helpful at all. Oh, and btw, @Cassel, I had a wild promoted layer last night but could'nt find the History button. I now found it but will have to wait for the next attack of the wild promos. 😉

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2

I will rename the layers if I have a lot of them. I'll also add drop shadow info to them when there are different drop shadows for different layers, e.g. Red Flower 5/5/50/25. The reason I do this is because I will re-use some layouts like cards and when changing the text, I want to keep the same d/s. As @Corrie Kinkel said, we all have our own systems. I'll often find better ways to do something by reading how other people do them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Looks good but one question... will it lay flat?

The copy I have kind of stays open (not really flat) but I personally hate to "crack" my books open. My guess is that if you do, then it should stay fairly flat. The binding is glued. If you have my previous book, it would be similar.

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

The copy I have kind of stays open (not really flat) but I personally hate to "crack" my books open. My guess is that if you do, then it should stay fairly flat. The binding is glued. If you have my previous book, it would be similar.

Thanks for the answer. I only have your books in the Kindle version so no problem with "laying flat". But IMO, this is not a book that would work well in Kindle. For this type of book I like to have both pages side by side laying flat in front of me. A thicker book doesn't work well for me. Many years ago I got 2 books from Creating Keepsakes (Creative Sketches and Creative Sketches Vol 2) both around 160 pages. Neither would lay flat so I took them to an office supply store, had them cut off the binding and they bound both them in the same spiral binding. I still have them. Lays flat! I did the same thing with another book of sketches (Layout Blueprints) that is a little over 100 pages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Thanks for the answer. I only have your books in the Kindle version so no problem with "laying flat". But IMO, this is not a book that would work well in Kindle. For this type of book I like to have both pages side by side laying flat in front of me. A thicker book doesn't work well for me. Many years ago I got 2 books from Creating Keepsakes (Creative Sketches and Creative Sketches Vol 2) both around 160 pages. Neither would lay flat so I took them to an office supply store, had them cut off the binding and they bound both them in the same spiral binding. I still have them. Lays flat! I did the same thing with another book of sketches (Layout Blueprints) that is a little over 100 pages.

I think that is a hard decision for an author, what format to print.  A book has to show a spine when sitting on the shelf of a book store to have any chance of anyone looking at it.  I've had books that had a spine and inside the coil binding, the cost to print that and the added weight for coil in shipping (customer and printer) would be quite high.  BTW, the book I had didnt have that many pages and was over $60, likely because of the additional steps to have a lay-flat book and still show a spine to catch the customers attention.  

• Like 1

I haven't wrote but just Waiting for the book,     I have the one  I bought off Amazon  I need this new book.   I cant even make a card and couldn't do the  last class till trying.    The Vectors 😞  but I see everyone else can 🙂  happy for them.

Really need the new book,  I want to write in caps my eye sights got worst is all I care about trying to see it.   Cant wait for the New Book though

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I think that is a hard decision for an author, what format to print.  A book has to show a spine when sitting on the shelf of a book store to have any chance of anyone looking at it.  I've had books that had a spine and inside the coil binding, the cost to print that and the added weight for coil in shipping (customer and printer) would be quite high.  BTW, the book I had didnt have that many pages and was over $60, likely because of the additional steps to have a lay-flat book and still show a spine to catch the customers attention.  

A book store? Are those still around? The only place I see books are at Wal-Mart and they aren't displayed on shelves because they don't have that many.

I understand what you are saying but in my opinion, there are some books that are much more useful in a lay flat version whether it is a coil binding or not. Workbooks and instructional books being the genre which is what I consider this book to be.

Although I will admit, I will not be purchasing Carole's book because of having been a scrapper for over 25 years. I feel it is geared more towards a beginning scrapper. I think it is a wonderful thing she did and I'm sure many of you will find it to be very useful.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

A book store? Are those still around? The only place I see books are at Wal-Mart and they aren't displayed on shelves because they don't have that many.

I understand what you are saying but in my opinion, there are some books that are much more useful in a lay flat version whether it is a coil binding or not. Workbooks and instructional books being the genre which is what I consider this book to be.

Although I will admit, I will not be purchasing Carole's book because of having been a scrapper for over 25 years. I feel it is geared more towards a beginning scrapper. I think it is a wonderful thing she did and I'm sure many of you will find it to be very useful.

hahahaha, no kidding about book stores.  We still have the big ones here, just a 5 min drive from me.  I haven't been in it for some time.  My husband is a voracious reader so i tend to buy used (thrift shops and used book stores) and only fill in a series with new.  Usually it's Amazon though, only because this huge bookstore doesn't have much variety, just a whole bunch of the top sellers.  I used to buy lots of books and magazines, but they take up too much room now.  I will buy Caroles book as it's a great reference to have  and i'm still a newbie at only 4 yrs into this.  I still love a book better than looking at a screen.  I've only bought books at Walmart twice, they have hardly anything useful.  The books I buy are very specific (types of photography, like product/still life or PSP related) so they'd never show up at a place like that.  

7 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Rene, where I live we have bookstores a plenty as well as a good library with ebooks and of course they are displayed at shelves or on tables. Because of my eye condition I nowadays only use digital ones, just as the newspapers, but I like going to the bookstore in our shoppingcenter and have a look at the new arrivals! The feeling of a real paper copy is something I miss  but I'm glad with the digital opportunities we now have.

• Like 2