November DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I wish I had learned too.  I am very lucky.  It's a windows issue.  Originally with the new build it was installed on one HD on a certain motherboard.  But said motherboard didn't take 2 of the types of HD's hubby wanted to use, so install onto brand new motherboard that supports 2 of that kind.  then put the hard drive back in and now Windows installs but cant activate because it thinks it's now on two motherboards.  so, he put that test computer back together un-installed it on the 1st motherboard.  still wont.  tried every kind of activation, also have to get a MS account (YUK), still wont.  Followed every instruction they had on hardware changes and in the phone activation instructions is said if it wont activate it will send you to a person to talk to....but it just hangs up after that.  Do you know how hard it is to even find a phone number to call.  So, while I now can work, there is no customizing I can do, as in it goes to sleep and any "saved" email folders are gone.  bummer.  Having said that, now my busy inbox is way empty as it only keeps the last 5 days.  Looks like we will have to buy yet a second activation even though we have no need for it. Hubby also does about 4 hours+ of work to get ready for the tomorrows work.  So, kinda of a lost day.  looking forward to watching the masterclass so I can forget about this computer crap for an hour.

Yikes, that sounds so complicated and frustrating! I think I'd give up on that! Some days just are lost days, no matter what we try to do to improve them.

• Like 1

This is the cleaned-up version of my design. I fixed the kerning on my font by setting my kern value to -25. Then I swapped two of the square pictures and adjusted my circle layers so they did not over-power any of my squares. Finally, I fixed all of my shadows. 

My background paper used the pattern effect on my picture of the three birds. I used the same effect to create the brown band across the bottom of the design. The thinner bands and the large rectangle were created using the colors in the circle picture.  

Thank you to everyone who offered me advice and suggestions.

DIY Birds 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Yikes, that sounds so complicated and frustrating! I think I'd give up on that! Some days just are lost days, no matter what we try to do to improve them.

Hubby spend a few hours trying all different kinds of instructions and finally found a place when he could put his phone number in and get a call-back.  The call was immediate and after a 10 minute hold the nice lady in India just gave him a code and made it work.  yeesh, two days for a 30 second phone conversation to fix it.  So back in business and now I will get my PSP workspaces up and running as we had done (a couple months ago) all new installs on all the programs to have a nice clean start.  Although I lost all the saved emails it's really a blessing in disguise.  I get to start all over with email and keep the inbox to a manageable number.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm still in the Autumn mood, due to the weather we got this last couple of weeks. I used everything and added an extra square tile so I could use 1 photo in 4 tiles. The color palettte is from the October blogtrain on digitalscrapbook.com. The background has the texture spruce, the doilie is one of a set by Carole which I have for a long time and the fonts are Stencil and Arial. I made a cutout with a brush that is in the the brushes folder.

DIY-nov.2023-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Seeing some of the entries in this forum encouraged me to give it a try. I haven't been active with Paintshop Pro or on the Scrapbook Campus for quite a while .It took some extra time to relearn some of the basic techniques on how to use the shapes in the starter image. Rereading some of the campus tutorials helped, thanks to Carole. I will have to get back to it more regularly to stay comfortable with the program.

I am always impressed with the artistic skill of many of the contributors. Using all the different accessories to accent their images is such a good skill.  

Fire Rescue 1 s.jpg

• Love 7

2 hours ago, Art Kuiper said:

Seeing some of the entries in this forum encouraged me to give it a try. I haven't been active with Paintshop Pro or on the Scrapbook Campus for quite a while .It took some extra time to relearn some of the basic techniques on how to use the shapes in the starter image. Rereading some of the campus tutorials helped, thanks to Carole. I will have to get back to it more regularly to stay comfortable with the program.

I am always impressed with the artistic skill of many of the contributors. Using all the different accessories to accent their images is such a good skill.  

Fire Rescue 1 s.jpg

A very nice layout Art. I Hope you don't mind me  mentioning, that I think you may have forgotten to add shadows.

7 hours ago, Art Kuiper said:

Thanks, Sue. I appreciate your comment. I have used shadows before and they make a big difference in making images stand out. I'll go back and add some and see how it works out.

Anytime!   I have added a  screenshot of some  useful tips on shadowing, which you can  find in the blog. Please post your edited page, as I'm convinced adding  shadows will make the every day heroes  stand out, as they should.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 065604.jpg

As suggested by Sue Thomas I have added shadows to the images on this project. I also learned that adding drop shadows as a new layer really helps. When I first tried to add a drop shadow, it wasn't to my liking. But another try just added a second shadow ti the first not a replacement. Then I saw the little box to add the drop shadow as a new layer. Now I can experiment until I get the effect I want. 

I also changed the images to the proper size as outlined in the instructions. My first go had some images the wrong size (too large). With the resizing the project looked wonky so I had to adjust the images to make it more balanced.

Thanks for the learning opportunity.

Fire Rescue 1 s.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Art Kuiper said:

As suggested by Sue Thomas I have added shadows to the images on this project. I also learned that adding drop shadows as a new layer really helps. When I first tried to add a drop shadow, it wasn't to my liking. But another try just added a second shadow ti the first not a replacement. Then I saw the little box to add the drop shadow as a new layer. Now I can experiment until I get the effect I want. 

I almost always use a shadow on a separate layer. If you don't need any tweaking, it is fine but if you ever want to adjust something or remove it, it is the perfect option!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Art Kuiper said:

I also changed the images to the proper size as outlined in the instructions. My first go had some images the wrong size (too large). With the resizing the project looked wonky so I had to adjust the images to make it more balanced.

Thanks for the learning opportunity.

Fire Rescue 1 s.jpg

Yup!  You did a smashing job!  I'd say you looked at it with  a whole new perspective.  I'm delighted that you  posted the updated version.  Doesn't those shadows make  huge difference!  Well done, keep up the good work. 

• Cassel unpinned this topic