November DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

DIY-Challenge.jpg

This challenge has had great success in the past so we can continue to have it on a regular basis, don’t you think?

Just like those “some assembly required” kits that you can buy for a shelf, a chair, or a picnic table, I am including a 3600×3600 pixels canvas with some shapes.

You HAVE to use the shapes in the size and proportions they are. You can move them, rotate them, flip them, and rearrange the layering if you want but you cannot resize them.

You need to use ALL the pieces but you can add more if you want.

So it is like all the pieces to build a DIY shelf: you cannot change the size of the pieces but you can use them creatively.

Obviously, you will want to recolor them or replace them with papers, photos, etc. We just need to be able to recognize the initial shapes.

Here is a preview of the shapes involved. Because of the size of the shapes, there will obviously be overlaps. Will it be for papers or photos or both? That is up to you!

DIY-2023-11.jpg

Click here to download the layered template.

Post your projects in the gallery.

• Like 1

• Cassel pinned this topic

Here is my DIY page. I wanted to include two photos, so I put the three small squares together, added another one, merged them to add the photo. with another small square placed in the centre to fill the  corners, in the centre.  I used the width of one of the rings to add the lace edge, (keeping the dimensions the same) it didn't look right, so I filled the ring.  I added to 2 small squares, one thin strip and  a fill to the one ring.  All the colours came from the two birds. Textures. The background paper  is a combination of colours from the birds, melding together.  For the centre round paper, I  promoted from the  background paper, added a texture.  Placed the blue ring under the  top promoted paper. 

eagles.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-05 082226.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-05 082242.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 8

7 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm hoping to get to this, it's my favorite of the challenges, but my computer is in pieces right now.  I might try on my laptop but have very few photos on here.

Oh dear, that sounds ominous.  I hope it's not serious.  Something to possibly consider.  I don't keep any photos or my PSP creations on the laptop.  I have them all on my external hard drives.  Also at the end of each year I  copy photos, and  PSP creations and  jpg creations to sticks, as a backup. 

• Like 3

I hope not either.  Microsoft issue with new build.  I dont usually have anything saved on my laptop or work on it anymore.  I have separate hard drives for data, there is 3 hard drives in my computer.  one is the boot drive with the programs, one is data and my scrapbooking stuff and other is pictures only.  And I'm now saving PSPimage files there in the pictures drive as a backup spot. There is an external drive to back up data and pictures but it's convoluted to do it,  so that's the next on the list to address.  To make it easier for me to do.  Actually, hubby is eventually going to set it up so it automatically adds new stuff.  I'm a total freak about losing my photo's and layouts.  So it's high on MY priority list, but perhaps not so much on his.  I am trying to at least get important stuff in two locations (on different drives).  I want to be doing what you are doing in some way and at least he recognizes that's what I want.  So much to do, and sometimes priorities get shoved down the list.  I wish i was much better and more independent in my knowledge and use of computers.  At least he is working hard at trying the solve the issue.  Microsoft is weird about security.  even with an account and password, every single thing you want to do requires yet another secret code you get by email.  You even have to download an app to get to the "get help" section to find a phone number.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Susan Ewart said:

I hope not either.  Microsoft issue with new build.  I dont usually have anything saved on my laptop or work on it anymore.  I have separate hard drives for data, there is 3 hard drives in my computer.  one is the boot drive with the programs, one is data and my scrapbooking stuff and other is pictures only.  And I'm now saving PSPimage files there in the pictures drive as a backup spot. There is an external drive to back up data and pictures but it's convoluted to do it,  so that's the next on the list to address.  To make it easier for me to do.  Actually, hubby is eventually going to set it up so it automatically adds new stuff.  I'm a total freak about losing my photo's and layouts.  So it's high on MY priority list, but perhaps not so much on his.  I am trying to at least get important stuff in two locations (on different drives).  I want to be doing what you are doing in some way and at least he recognizes that's what I want.  So much to do, and sometimes priorities get shoved down the list.  I wish i was much better and more independent in my knowledge and use of computers.

You're fortunate to have someone to take care of your computer hiccups. I had to learn years ago to do it for myself, after I lost my go-to helper to ALS. He seemed to know everything and was always there (online) to help. Bless him.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm hoping to get to this, it's my favorite of the challenges, but my computer is in pieces right now.  I might try on my laptop but have very few photos on here.

15 years ago when I was going to scrapbooking retreats with my laptop, I saved all my kits and photos on an external hard drive. Even when I worked at home on my desktop, I saved what I was doing on that external hard drive. I also had a cloud backup that would backup my desktop hard drive and the external hard drive. So I still had more than one copy of everything.

Over 5 years ago I began having issues with my computer disconnecting from the internet on its own. Even new modems from the ISP didn't seem to solve the problem. Then in May of 2019 we had a power outage due to tornadoes in the area and when the power came back my 7 or 8 years old computer wouldn't even turn on. So I had to get a new one. While I didn't have a desktop I had to use my laptop which was not connected to the cloud backup... and I had no internet disconnects at all! I got the new computer and got everything setup including the cloud backup and the internet disconnects started happening again. I paused the backup and no more disconnects so I cancelled the service.

So these days, I keep everything on my hard drive but whenever I download my photos or buy and unzip new kits, I back them up to 2 separate external hard drives. I also have 2 other external hard drives that I will back up everything to about once a month. I've also gotten to the point that all my old stuff are on the external hard drives but not the hard drive of my desktop. If I would need something I just hook up the external. This gives me more room on the desktop.

I no longer like to scrap on my laptop because I'm so used to the dual monitors but I do have PSP loaded on it. So if I were to go away and take my laptop, if I take one of my external hard drives I could still scrap if I wanted. System works for me!

• Like 6

This was a lot of FUN! But, oh so Challenging!!  I duplicated one of the squares so that I could use four photos. The skinny bands presented me with another problem! I ended up duplicating one of the two bands to add balance to my composition. 

I wasn't sure how to shadow this one. So, I shadowed it like we did all of the other projects. I went to try and tweak things after I applied my shadows to another layer, and that presented me with another problem. My shadow did not move correctly with the images.

I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions from all of the seasoned vets out there. Thanks!!

Birds San Diego 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Laurie, you have showcased some lovely  bird photos.  Your shadowing looks  fine to me. Regarding the issue with the shadow not moving as you want,  did you link the  photo/element with its  shadow? Which will enable you to move both evenly at the same time. Unfortunately, when linked you can't resize,  or rotate, all it allows you to do is to move, not only on your  page, but  also in the layers palette.  One other small thing I noticed, is that the letters of the title BIRDS aren't joined.  Check the kerning setting, on the  text tool bar. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Laurie, you have showcased some lovely  bird photos.  Your shadowing looks  fine to me. Regarding the issue with the shadow not moving as you want,  did you link the  photo/element with its  shadow? Which will enable you to move both evenly at the same time. Unfortunately, when linked you can't resize,  or rotate, all it allows you to do is to move, not only on your  page, but  also in the layers palette.  One other small thing I noticed, is that the letters of the title BIRDS aren't joined.  Check the kerning setting, on the  text tool bar. 

Laurie,  please forgive me as I don't mean to knit pick, as you did say you wanted feedback, and suggestions. To me all photos take precedence in my layouts.   A portion of the photo of the gull on the water has been cut, by being hidden under an element.  I would switch it with its opposite diagonal photo.  There should be enough free space in that photo, not to  obstruct any  of that bird. Or place the gull on the water above the elements.  After all you are the create,  

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2

Thanks Sue, you were not knit picking. That’s exactly the kind of feed back I am looking for. Tomorrow morning I will see if I can link layers together, and I will see if I can fix the Bird text. 

Thanks for the idea of swapping the square photos. I wasn’t sure how to make my composition totally work without resizing anything. I didn’t see that swapping the photos would help. Sometimes i need someone with a fresh eye to look at things.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, laurie solaas said:

I will see if I can link layers together,

Laurie: When I check the box for shadows to be on a separate layer, they automatically are linked. You have to unlink them to move the shadow separately, either with the pick tool or the warp brush. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

You're fortunate to have someone to take care of your computer hiccups. I had to learn years ago to do it for myself, after I lost my go-to helper to ALS. He seemed to know everything and was always there (online) to help. Bless him.

I wish I had learned too.  I am very lucky.  It's a windows issue.  Originally with the new build it was installed on one HD on a certain motherboard.  But said motherboard didn't take 2 of the types of HD's hubby wanted to use, so install onto brand new motherboard that supports 2 of that kind.  then put the hard drive back in and now Windows installs but cant activate because it thinks it's now on two motherboards.  so, he put that test computer back together un-installed it on the 1st motherboard.  still wont.  tried every kind of activation, also have to get a MS account (YUK), still wont.  Followed every instruction they had on hardware changes and in the phone activation instructions is said if it wont activate it will send you to a person to talk to....but it just hangs up after that.  Do you know how hard it is to even find a phone number to call.  So, while I now can work, there is no customizing I can do, as in it goes to sleep and any "saved" email folders are gone.  bummer.  Having said that, now my busy inbox is way empty as it only keeps the last 5 days.  Looks like we will have to buy yet a second activation even though we have no need for it. Hubby also does about 4 hours+ of work to get ready for the tomorrows work.  So, kinda of a lost day.  looking forward to watching the masterclass so I can forget about this computer crap for an hour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

15 years ago when I was going to scrapbooking retreats with my laptop, I saved all my kits and photos on an external hard drive. Even when I worked at home on my desktop, I saved what I was doing on that external hard drive. I also had a cloud backup that would backup my desktop hard drive and the external hard drive. So I still had more than one copy of everything.

Over 5 years ago I began having issues with my computer disconnecting from the internet on its own. Even new modems from the ISP didn't seem to solve the problem. Then in May of 2019 we had a power outage due to tornadoes in the area and when the power came back my 7 or 8 years old computer wouldn't even turn on. So I had to get a new one. While I didn't have a desktop I had to use my laptop which was not connected to the cloud backup... and I had no internet disconnects at all! I got the new computer and got everything setup including the cloud backup and the internet disconnects started happening again. I paused the backup and no more disconnects so I cancelled the service.

So these days, I keep everything on my hard drive but whenever I download my photos or buy and unzip new kits, I back them up to 2 separate external hard drives. I also have 2 other external hard drives that I will back up everything to about once a month. I've also gotten to the point that all my old stuff are on the external hard drives but not the hard drive of my desktop. If I would need something I just hook up the external. This gives me more room on the desktop.

I no longer like to scrap on my laptop because I'm so used to the dual monitors but I do have PSP loaded on it. So if I were to go away and take my laptop, if I take one of my external hard drives I could still scrap if I wanted. System works for me!

I love the dual monitors.  I have them now too.  You were the one that kind of got me thinking about them.  Hubby always used them for work, but at the time wasn't working from home, so I didnt understand the use of them. But now I think they are great.  I'm still learning and lose my little arrow on the screen sometimes.  

Thanks Ann, I am not sure how I unlinked them. But I think I did. Because the shadow didn’t  look like it moved with the picture. I will play with those things tomorrow, when I am fresh. 

Also, today when I was messing around, trying to fix it, I deleted the shadow layer, and tried to redo the shadow. It created an enormous shadow with a larger offset and a bigger blur. I had not changed my values. Can anyone tell me why?

I will restart my computer to see if it was caused by a program glitch. 

32 minutes ago, laurie solaas said:

Thanks Ann, I am not sure how I unlinked them. But I think I did. Because the shadow didn’t  look like it moved with the picture. I will play with those things tomorrow, when I am fresh. 

Also, today when I was messing around, trying to fix it, I deleted the shadow layer, and tried to redo the shadow. It created an enormous shadow with a larger offset and a bigger blur. I had not changed my values. Can anyone tell me why?

I will restart my computer to see if it was caused by a program glitch. 

I'm going to clarify the linking of a shadow layer, or any layers in case there is any confusion.  Yes, when you create a shadow on anything, it is automatically linked.  Saying that, in order for them to  move as one, you still have to select the  2 layers,  by holding down the ctrl key, which them turns the selected  layers blue.   Even though they are linked,  the layers still have to be selected.  To deselect any linking, you have  to once again select the layers, and then  click the  link icon. Vice vera for linking multiple layers.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2