Newsletter chitchat - October 3, 2023

Cassel

Do you tend to watch those "reality shows" on TV?

I like them but I am mostly interested in the various challenges they offer, while I am not as interested in the gossips and strategies the players play.

What about you?

Let's chat.

I watched a couple seasons of Survivor only because it was originally filmed by a guy who did these race shows that were actually real. Reality shows are anything but real.  I got tired of it very quickly.  I dont like these shows because there is too much conflict and drama and seems to bring out the worst in people.  I'd rather see people at their best, it's more inspiring.  I like competition shows that are serious like The Crossfit Games. Elite athletes at their best, now that's a motivator for me. I realize I am in a minority for this subject.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Here they start with 3rd season dutch version of traitors. I admit I stopped following most of this kind of series after first version of big brother. In 1999. Only followed sometimes expeditie robinson, but after season 14 (2022) stopped also following it. 

Mostly in lot of that kind of series you see the same well known dutch actors, musicians etc. Again and again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I watched a couple seasons of Survivor only because it was originally filmed by a guy who did these race shows that were actually real. Reality shows are anything but real.  I got tired of it very quickly.  I dont like these shows because there is too much conflict and drama and seems to bring out the worst in people.  I'd rather see people at their best, it's more inspiring.  I like competition shows that are serious like The Crossfit Games. Elite athletes at their best, now that's a motivator for me. I realize I am in a minority for this subject.  

I'm with you, Susan. Once I found out Pro Wrestling was scripted, all the "reality shows" lost their credibility with me. There are a few competition shows, like American Ninja Warrior, that appear to be real, and talent shows like Dancing with the Stars or The Voice. Aside from the game show, Jeopardy!, I watch TV for stories with drama, action or laughs. My favorite right now is the new Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I literally have to keep lists of what to watch. Between network TV and streaming, the choices have been endless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'm with you, Susan. Once I found out Pro Wrestling was scripted, all the "reality shows" lost their credibility with me. There are a few competition shows, like American Ninja Warrior, that appear to be real, and talent shows like Dancing with the Stars or The Voice. Aside from the game show, Jeopardy!, I watch TV for stories with drama, action or laughs. My favorite right now is the new Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I literally have to keep lists of what to watch. Between network TV and streaming, the choices have been endless.

We watch Star Trek: Strange New Worlds too.  We watched Anson Mount (Captain Pike) in Hell on Wheels as well, he's very gritty looking in that one.  The first couple seasons of ANW were awesome.  I got tired of the announcers and just wished they'd show the compeitors compete.  I'm not big on people's backstories either, unless it's about their training only. The more I find out about Athletes/movies stars private lives the more I dont like them.  We just got paramount for a bit and have seen some really good series.  And there is only a few on regular cable we watch.  One is Highway Thru Hell, a show about heavy wreckers (tow trucks) that is filmed in locations very close to the several cities we lived in in the Fraser Valley and Interior of British Columbia.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris Schults said:

Instead

We watch a lot of british detective series, through bbc-first. But also downtowm abbey. 

And some original dutch drama series. 

We like those too.  When we can find them on u-tube in Canada.  British shows have more "real" type people cast in rolls and make it more believeable.  Also, we've watched a ton of Korean series (subtitled as i love the actual voices) on Netflix when we had it.  

28 minutes ago, Chris Schults said:

Instead

We watch a lot of british detective series, through bbc-first. But also downtowm abbey. 

And some original dutch drama series. 

I do, too, Chris. I subscribe to BritBox for that reason and have been a long-standing fan of Downton Abbey. I even used it as the theme of a workshop here with a calendar. 

6 pages_scaled.jpg

8 pages_scaled.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

We like those too.  When we can find them on u-tube in Canada.  British shows have more "real" type people cast in rolls and make it more believeable.  Also, we've watched a ton of Korean series (subtitled as i love the actual voices) on Netflix when we had it.  

I see there is a canadian site of bbc first. The best were Unforgotten and Bluelights. 

https://bbcfirst.ca/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Schults said:

I see there is a canadian site of bbc first. The best were Unforgotten and Bluelights. 

https://bbcfirst.ca/ 

Thanks for the info, it's a channel I can get...if I pay extra for it.  It's going to have to go on the wish list as I'm already paying way too much for my cable and barely watch anything on it.  I will check our other streaming services though, I'd like to check out those shows you mentioned.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

I have never ever watched reality shows, they have never appealed to me.  Nor the  American drama shows like NCIS, Law and order, Blue Bloods and the list goes on and on.  I have Shaw TV provider, with PBS( PBS has 3 channels)  and Vision channels (which are part of the Shaw package) are what I watch.  I agree with Chris, about the British shows, they are very down to earth. Both channels have an array of classic British programs, most of which  I grew up watching, and they never get old.  I'm currently watching  Shetland, which I haven't watched before. Silent witness, with Amanda Burton playing the pathologist.  Death in Paradise, Inspector Morse, and Endeavour. Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping up Appearances, New Tricks. The Sweeney with John Thaw, who also played Inspector Morse. Van Der Valk,  Heartbeat.  Unforgotten. Meet the Midwife, Agatha Christie murder mysteries. The list goes on. I  have watched Murdock Mysteries, which I like, mainly because Thomas Craig plays the inspector. I remember him in his younger days in Inspector Morse, and Coronation street. Plus it's also semi educational.  PBS airs NOVA, and many nature documentaries. That's the extent of my TV viewing.  

I grew up watching Upstairs Downstairs, drama series in black and white, there  were  three series I think in all. Starring Gordon Jackson. I haven't watched Downton Abbey at all.  I watched the first  few series of Outlander, which I enjoyed, but then lost in interest in it.  I have to say my favourite American detective series is Columbo.  Which airs on Vision on a Thursday night. 

58 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thanks for the info, it's a channel I can get...if I pay extra for it.  It's going to have to go on the wish list as I'm already paying way too much for my cable and barely watch anything on it.  I will check our other streaming services though, I'd like to check out those shows you mentioned.  

Oh we are lucky it is in standard programs collection by our cable- provider. But it is a commercial broadcaster here. 

37 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I have never ever watched reality shows, they have never appealed to me.  Nor the  American drama shows like NCIS, Law and order, Blue Bloods and the list goes on and on.  I have Shaw TV provider, with PBS( PBS has 3 channels)  and Vision channels (which are part of the Shaw package) are what I watch.  I agree with Chris, about the British shows, they are very down to earth. Both channels have an array of classic British programs, most of which  I grew up watching, and they never get old.  I'm currently watching  Shetland, which I haven't watched before. Silent witness, with Amanda Burton playing the pathologist.  Death in Paradise, Inspector Morse, and Endeavour. Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping up Appearances, New Tricks. The Sweeney with John Thaw, who also played Inspector Morse. Van Der Valk,  Heartbeat.  Unforgotten. Meet the Midwife, Agatha Christie murder mysteries. The list goes on. I  have watched Murdock Mysteries, which I like, mainly because Thomas Craig plays the inspector. I remember him in his younger days in Inspector Morse, and Coronation street. Plus it's also semi educational.  PBS airs NOVA, and many nature documentaries. That's the extent of my TV viewing.  

I grew up watching Upstairs Downstairs, drama series in black and white, there  were  three series I think in all. Starring Gordon Jackson. I haven't watched Downton Abbey at all.  I watched the first  few series of Outlander, which I enjoyed, but then lost in interest in it.  I have to say my favourite American detective series is Columbo.  Which airs on Vision on a Thursday night. 

You've given me some good ones to look for.  I have been told Shetland is good.  And I have watched Nova too.  They have good stuff.  I do have Nature TV and have exhausted most of the shows there.  I love nature stuff.  I watched David Attenborough on Netflix, so awesome he is.  I dont have Netflix anymore.  the cost of cable and streaming services are getting too high, so we will exhaust one streaming service then move on to another while the other ones get more shows.  It sounds like I watch a lot of TV.  I actually dont, between hubby and my schedule it can take 4-5 just to watch a movie.  If I watch stuff it's often sometime of tutorial.  In the Campus, photography ones for the RAW program I'm learning, general photo videos on certain techniques (eg. light painting, lighting in studio, general photography etc).  Watching a TV show or movie is a nice way to unwind, even if it's just for 20 minutes at a time.  BTW...LOVE Agatha Christie shows/movies.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

I'm not a big fan of television. I do have a TV, but I barely watched it last summer. I PREFER THE COMPUTER. I especially resent the series that has a storyline. Then you have to watch otherwise you will lose the story. We had Poldark for a year but I heard that on the other side of that 'huge puddle', there are more years in it. But whether they are Biblical, historical, philosophical, or other films or series, they are always made more attractive to the film industry. Especially if they come from America. The English productions are the most reliable when it comes to reality because they attach great importance to history. That's what I learned about it at school, although that was a very long time ago. What we do have here in this 'cold frog country' (That's a nickname that we made up ourselves,) is that we can also watch TV on our PC. That again saves on costs. And if you have the right devices, you can still connect the PC to your TV and still see some programs, without the cost of a cable. 

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Like 1

I don't watch much tv nowadays. So many series are copies of older ones or imitations, but like Chris and Jannette we watch a lot BBC television. The series from Richard Attenborough, Fake or Fortune, Who do you think you are, The Antiques Roadshow (which has a Dutch counterpart that we also watch). My husband likes all kinds of sports and I don't and there is a lot of sport on the telly, so I go to the computer. Besides that I have seen a lot of the programs above like the ones Sue mentioned.

• Like 1

My TV list is rather short; I don't turn it on until after 5 pm and off by 10. I watch The Good Wife, Billions, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Fire Country, Broadchurch and I pick a movie for my Saturday night viewing. This week it'll be Fast X, the auto racing film with Vin Diesel. I'm looking forward to the original Moonlighting series with Candace Bergen and Bruce Willis which is being re-released on Hulu. I never saw the originals. Also, a new Frasier series with Kelsey Grammer. Both start Oct 10 here. There are two new series on Netflix I'll try: Reptile, a detective show and The Recruit, a spy comedy. That's it for me. Most of the time I'm here on my desktop computer, playing with PSP. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but reality to me is the world today.  These shows do not interest me at all.  I cannot say a lot about them due to the fact I have never really watched them but just the ads about them make me think they are fake.  But it is not good for everyone to like the same thing...so enjoy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I'm not a big fan of television. I do have a TV, but I barely watched it last summer. I PREFER THE COMPUTER. I especially resent the series that has a storyline. Then you have to watch otherwise you will lose the story. We had Poldark for a year but I heard that on the other side of that 'huge puddle', there are more years in it. But whether they are Biblical, historical, philosophical, or other films or series, they are always made more attractive to the film industry. Especially if they come from America. The English productions are the most reliable when it comes to reality because they attach great importance to history. That's what I learned about it at school, although that was a very long time ago. What we do have here in this 'cold frog country' (That's a nickname that we made up ourselves,) is that we can also watch TV on our PC. That again saves on costs. And if you have the right devices, you can still connect the PC to your TV and still see some programs, without the cost of a cable. 

We watch a lot on the u-tube through our TV but in Canada the internet costs are expensive, more than 3/4 of my $200 month bill.  The TV is the cheapest part, so we have it for a few of the shows we watch.  Too watch any Canadian TV on the PC means you have to already have an account with one of the TV service provides and therefore paying a lot more.  We do get unlimited streaming so that's why U'tube.  And I get to watch Carole on u'tube when I'm warming up for my workouts since it's on the TV.  

3 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

O, Yes. I can see you on YouTube too. Some older videos but they are still good. When you search and type Paintshoppro then you come up. Try ?

The webinars I did for Corel?

• Like 1

Just now, Susan Ewart said:

this one.  and put the masterclasses on a USB and watch using my roku so the screen is the TV and it's bigger and near the cardio equipment I have.

Oh... I thought you would SEE ME!!!! Phew!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'll have to look for the webinars you did for corel.

https://youtu.be/ize_UfPCMjc  - Brush variance
https://youtu.be/kcyF2jTmsJk  - Calendar
https://youtu.be/4GhJIoHRIzg  - Scrapbook
https://youtu.be/DN5YmMJGYv4  - The Text tool
https://youtu.be/ixKUgfrwiTo  - Special effects
https://youtu.be/QMDRErG_DMg  - Picture tubes
https://youtu.be/1cu2Tz3ecXo  - Restoring old photos
https://youtu.be/1RF3fmOUHyE  - Masks
https://youtu.be/7vdGOL23Nt8  - Scripting (2017)
https://youtu.be/IOT2k2wlCG8  - Scripting (2012)

• Like 2
  • Love 2