Jump to content

Scrapbook Bootcamp - May 2023


Cassel

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Susan - I love that "just playing around" you did with the papers and I love that element.

Thank you Mary.  It is a good (read: hard) challenge for me to use just one kit, make it work and be happy with the end layout.  I'm learning that "playing around" and "happy mistakes" are a good thing.  Also the photos from this one day of shooting werent that great (started sunny then got really grey and dark) so I'm also seeing if I can get acceptable ones to use.  Good thing the bootcamp doesnt need a huge amount of photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Mooi paars is niet Lelijk  - Google says: Beautiful purple is not ugly ?

Yes! Funny, I just edited my original post and now I see your question ? Ugly is lelijk in Dutch, so that's why I chose that font in the right corner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Project 3

Butterfly - since I did not have same butterfly as in video, I used the same Drop Shadow as other elements such as pictures.

Heading Font - Bailenson from Creative Fabrica - https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/bailenson-font/

Digital Scrapbook -- all of the elements listed below were obtained from Digital Scrapbook

Green background paper (I used the colour changer tool to change the polkadots to more green)
ps_marisa-lerin_1622_polka-dot-8-green_cu.jpg

Paper with coloured diamonds in circles (I reduced brightness for part I used behind the title)
ps_janet-kemp_137036_memories-traditions-quilt-paper_cu.jpg

Paper with diagonal slashes
ps_janet-kemp_352811_galentines-day-pink-chevron-paper_cu.jpg

Butterfly (I changed the colour to white using the colour changer tool)
ps_jessica-dunn_353814_baby-dear-stamp-butterfly_cu.png

Folded Paper Flower (I lightened the colour using Adjust/Brightness and Contrast/Brightness and Contrast and adjust just the brightness)
ps_marisa-lerin_11181_paper-flower-20-pink_cu.png

Sunburst (behind the upper left folder paper flower)
ps_jessica-dunn_167072_sunshine-and-snow-mini-sunburst_cu.png

................................

Challenge with font
When I add a second line, the spacing is too large. 
So I created a separate text layer for each line. The spacing between lines is probably not exact.
My settings were
Offset 13 (I was unable to change)
Kerning 69
Miter limit 10
Leading 0
Tracking 0

Challenge with "New Layer" text instead of icon
In the layers palette, at the bottom is where I can select "New Layer" and other options.
Mine is in text but would prefer to have the icon.
I think I tried this before without success, but cannot remember or find the steps to take.
I think I even tried reinstalling PSP but still the same thing. 
This is PaintShop Pro 2022 Ultimate.
In PaintShop Pro 2021 (not Ultimate), I have icons.large.PROJECT360.jpg.9adec47aa841f0b9b1c9bfd724fed6f9.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 5

We were at an show garden this weekend, the pictures I took there and will be used for this bootcamp.

The text says: A lovely spot to get some rest, but the funny thing is, we never sit there but at a spot earlier on.

I used parts from kits I had in my stash from pixelscrapper and the text "rust" (rest) I used "enamel" (effects--artistic effects--enamel

Dag 5-600.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Love 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Randy said:

PROJECT 4

Fonts used
Which - Impact
Path? - Cursive Serif - https://www.dafont.com/cursive-serif.font

All elements came from the suggested pack.

I did modify one paper
I used Color Foil
Then I used Typography

 

Carole, Thank you for the information on the Music resources.

 

Thank you for the info on the font, it's a nice one. Where did you post your project 4?  or did I miss it in this post.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Project 4    I used screenshots this time taken by me a few years ago , It was again an Explore live cam, one I have been watching and chatting on for 10 years.  Hog Island Osprey Nest.  I elected not to use any scatter because the background etc was already pretty busy.   P S- The bird flying silhouette is one I created (using PSP21) from a screenshot I took this year of an Osprey flying into his nest.

 

day 9 H I Osprey 6.jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Anne Lamp The first time you mentioned the cam, I thought it was YOUR cam, but now, with all those animals, I know they are not on your property! Good work! Good extraction on the bird!

@Randy I have some versions that tend to do that and change to text instead of icons. But you can change that. Go to View > Customize and while that window is open, right-click on the text instead of the icon and select Icon in the list that will pop. Your project #4 does not show. Can you repost it?

@MoniqueN. Great page. The only thing that "annoys" me is the flower showing behind the paper. Even if it is showing as a "paper image", my brain still thinks that the flower should be on TOP of the paper! ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Project 4

I used the kit that came with this Project (cpjess-spring skies).  But you wouldnt know it, unless you took a peak in my layers palette.  I used the blue sky paper, duplicated it and turned it upside down so the clouds above were same below - but you wouldnt even see that now as it all blended in, all these two layers had adjustment layers applied to them and both paper layers had different reduced opacity.  I used the blue paper (with newspaper writing on it) with a reduced opacity and above that layer I promoted a selection of it to make my pinking shear effect.  And above that  layer was a photo of mine of Canada geese flying into the pond.  I didnt like the photo background look so I played with blend modes and chose "difference" and it made the birds look like a graphic and the pinking shear was lightened against the background of the same paper below it.  I thought it looked interesting.  Lots of this was me moving layers around and seeing what would happen with the blend mode.  This again, was a happy accident.  that works better with the two smaller photos.  I made the other little strips of paper from the original blue paper and from the new brownish paper.  Used also in the title.  

Font:  NNSafari Serif (Creative Fabrica)

Photos: mine

This was shot on November 20, 2011 and these geese (over 800) had only 2/3rds of the pond as the rest was frozen, and they had to share it with about 6 other species that flew in.  It takes about 10 minutes for the geese  (coming from the farm fields nearby) to all get landed.  the sky is black with Canada geese, it's really quite a site and fun to watch them come in for the landing.  This is a very different kind of layout for me.

BC Project 4-Arrival-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Anne Lamp The first time you mentioned the cam, I thought it was YOUR cam, but now, with all those animals, I know they are not on your property! Good work! Good extraction on the bird!

@Randy I have some versions that tend to do that and change to text instead of icons. But you can change that. Go to View > Customize and while that window is open, right-click on the text instead of the icon and select Icon in the list that will pop. Your project #4 does not show. Can you repost it?

@MoniqueN. Great page. The only thing that "annoys" me is the flower showing behind the paper. Even if it is showing as a "paper image", my brain still thinks that the flower should be on TOP of the paper! ?

 

Funny you say that, I've been moving around with it, but couldn't decide which way. Thanks for the input!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Anne Lamp The first time you mentioned the cam, I thought it was YOUR cam, but now, with all those animals, I know they are not on your property! Good work! Good extraction on the bird!

@Randy I have some versions that tend to do that and change to text instead of icons. But you can change that. Go to View > Customize and while that window is open, right-click on the text instead of the icon and select Icon in the list that will pop. Your project #4 does not show. Can you repost it?

@MoniqueN. Great page. The only thing that "annoys" me is the flower showing behind the paper. Even if it is showing as a "paper image", my brain still thinks that the flower should be on TOP of the paper! ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Cassel I tried what you suggested for View/Customize to get the icons for New Layer \ New Adjustment Layer, etc

I could not determine where I was supposed to right click so

1) I clicked on the Toolbars tab at top of Customize window

2) I selected "Layers Palette Toolbar"

3) I clicked on the Reset button at the right

The text disappeared and the box is smaller so that I have more at the bottom. but the box is now blank(no text and no icon). If I hover over, I can see the help text which identifies what should be there.

NOTE: the icons show for

New Layer Group

Delete Layer

General Preferences

>>

I did the same thing for Layers Palette Option Toolbar

now all text is gone from there and I can tell what each box is by hovering over and seeing help text.

 

I highlighted places that I would like to see icons (where text was previously).

 

>>> EDIT <<< After I made the changes, I took Paintshop down and brought it back up again.

The text is back in the area that I highlighted.

large.LAYERS-disappearingnewlayericon.jpg.b68588ad7261647f5ecd3d3e34ba2306.jpg

Edited by Randy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Randy said:

>>> EDIT <<< After I made the changes, I took Paintshop down and brought it back up again.

The text is back in the area that I highlighted.

Yeah, sometimes, it is uncooperative and when you restart PSP, it is back. Maybe you would need to reset to default and re-customize your workspace ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Project 4 - Spread Your Wings

Photos by Debbie Lennox-Nevada City, CA

Background=jade and yellow gradient

Font =Photo caption - Candara

Mat with pinked edges= brown fill, weave texture

Yellow butterfly mat= jessica-dunn-bohemian-sunshine

Flower cluster with shadow= marisa-lerin

Yellow butterfly= pngfind.com

Label=LF-ChoosetoShine

Brad=marisa-lerin-ephemera-butterfly-brad-04

Title Font01=Flora Garden/sculpture texture effect-sky

Title Font02=Glamlips/sculpture texture effect-sky

Scatters=Marisa Lerin

SPREAD YOUR WINGS_600.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Project 4

I used the kit that came with this Project (cpjess-spring skies).  But you wouldnt know it, unless you took a peak in my layers palette.  I used the blue sky paper, duplicated it and turned it upside down so the clouds above were same below - but you wouldnt even see that now as it all blended in, all these two layers had adjustment layers applied to them and both paper layers had different reduced opacity.  I used the blue paper (with newspaper writing on it) with a reduced opacity and above that layer I promoted a selection of it to make my pinking shear effect.  And above that  layer was a photo of mine of Canada geese flying into the pond.  I didnt like the photo background look so I played with blend modes and chose "difference" and it made the birds look like a graphic and the pinking shear was lightened against the background of the same paper below it.  I thought it looked interesting.  Lots of this was me moving layers around and seeing what would happen with the blend mode.  This again, was a happy accident.  that works better with the two smaller photos.  I made the other little strips of paper from the original blue paper and from the new brownish paper.  Used also in the title.  

Font:  NNSafari Serif (Creative Fabrica)

Photos: mine

This was shot on November 20, 2011 and these geese (over 800) had only 2/3rds of the pond as the rest was frozen, and they had to share it with about 6 other species that flew in.  It takes about 10 minutes for the geese  (coming from the farm fields nearby) to all get landed.  the sky is black with Canada geese, it's really quite a site and fun to watch them come in for the landing.  This is a very different kind of layout for me.

BC Project 4-Arrival-600.jpg

Susan,the result with the birds in the background turned out well! It's fun to play with different layers and blend modes. ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Susan,the result with the birds in the background turned out well! It's fun to play with different layers and blend modes. ?

It sure was fun and surprising.  I was not liking my layout, it was too busy when it was a photo background and lowered opacity just looked grey and dull.  Then I thought about blend modes and was moving layers all over when the happy accident happened.  I could never have predicted what the blend layer (difference) would do since I had multiple layers with adjustment layers below it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

It sure was fun and surprising.  I was not liking my layout, it was too busy when it was a photo background and lowered opacity just looked grey and dull.  Then I thought about blend modes and was moving layers all over when the happy accident happened.  I could never have predicted what the blend layer (difference) would do since I had multiple layers with adjustment layers below it.  

It is so much fun playing around in PSP!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

It is so much fun playing around in PSP!!

I want to do the squares like you did and try effects on them.  I did that in the Build A Kit workshop but didnt do squares, I did blocks of color and strips and rotated them, I found there was too much of one color.  So many possibilites.  I was just watching the the Distort It Masterclass (havent finished it yet) and there is a really cool paper idea I want to try out too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

Repost: Flower at the right now on top instead underneath the papers. ?

Dag 5-600.jpg

Have you tried putting the flower under the photo but on top of the green paper? That would hide the stem of the flower.

Although my thought on your first layout was to not have as much shadow on the flower and make it look more like a sticker.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

Repost: Flower at the right now on top instead underneath the papers. ?

Dag 5-600.jpg

I like the flower and the stem showing.  The flower is bright so your eye naturally goes there, then it meanders down the stem with a huge payoff of the photo and in particular, the bench...which is the "Why" of the photo...The perfect peaceful place to rest and destress. I wont get into angles and triangle in photography, they are there too, a huge thing in composition.   Great color choice in that flower; magenta based with green all around as it's complementary color.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Cassel unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...