May TUT/TECH Challenge (2023)

Cassel

spacer.png

The Campus is the perfect place to learn more about photo editing, various techniques, or PSP in general.

This challenge will give you an opportunity to practice some of those techniques or use some tools.

This time, the Tut/Tech Challenge will be to create a preset shape for a tag. Of course, you can create something simple, but it would be a great opportunity to practice what was shown in the April and May Master Classes. Show the tag shape, but if you can use it in a project, it is even better.

Show us what you learned.

• Like 1

Last night I created this birthday ecard. After discovering  the  May tut/tech challenge this morning, I decided to use it to  advertise a fictitious event.  There are so many different tag designs which can be used in so many ways to help showcase photos.  The one with the threaded  ribbon I copied from a magazine.  I created my own version of a ticket design, which I  saw somewhere or other. I jot down on paper designs that I see on the telly, or in a magazine, or   online ads creating then as when needed.  The pinned tag design will be familiar to you.  I frequently use many other techniques in my pages, putting emphasis on  small realistic  details. 

Barn Swallow (2).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

18 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Last night I created this birthday ecard. After discovering  the  May tut/tech challenge this morning, I decided to use it to  advertise a fictitious event.  There are so many different tag designs which can be used in so many ways to help showcase photos.  The one with the threaded  ribbon I copied from a magazine.  I created my own version of a ticket design, which I  saw somewhere or other. I jot down on paper designs that I see on the telly, or in a magazine, or   online ads creating then as when needed.  The pinned tag design will be familiar to you.  I frequently use many other techniques in my pages, putting emphasis on  small realistic  details. 

Barn Swallow (2).jpg

Sue - did you use one of Cassel's scripts to do the multiple copies of the picture?  There is one in the store for making multiple copies of a photo or element and stacking them, but it doesn't look like this (at least not the jpg that goes with the script).

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

Sue - did you use one of Cassel's scripts to do the multiple copies of the picture?  There is one in the store for making multiple copies of a photo or element and stacking them, but it doesn't look like this (at least not the jpg that goes with the script).

The script you mentioned I used in the page below. It's a page from 2015. I haven't used it in  ages. It was one of the very first scripts I bought.  I tend to use  the rotate command, which is located in the centre of any image. You will also find the technique in Carole's book called Tips and Tricks for PSP

Zinnia  quote card.jpg

• Love 8

There is never a shortage of anything to photograph  when it comes to Nature. I absolutely adore these tiny creatures.  As per usual  to get the best shots, I have to  lay down on the ground for long periods of time motionless, waiting for them to emerge. I have over a hundred pics to choose from. Some have even run over me. I quite literally have hundreds of them this year.  This year is a year when they have peaked. Anyway, I started this page last night.  Finishing it off this evening  with a tag. Layout, papers, everything is  my own work. Including the photos.

Voles.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

19 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

There is never a shortage of anything to photograph  when it comes to Nature. I absolutely adore these tiny creatures.  As per usual  to get the best shots, I have to  lay down on the ground for long periods of time motionless, waiting for them to emerge. I have over a hundred pics to choose from. Some have even run over me. I quite literally have hundreds of them this year.  This year is a year when they have peaked. Anyway, I started this page last night.  Finishing it off this evening  with a tag. Layout, papers, everything is  my own work. Including the photos.

Voles.jpg

Sue I have seen more of your photos and layouts about this adorable voles and I like them all, but every new layout you do, makes me love them more. I have said it before but the nature where you live is stunning!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Wednesday I'm leaving for 3 weeks to the USA to visit my daughter, son in law and the grandkids. I'm going for the first time to the Bay area of San Francisco where they are living now. We will certainly visit the city and see the Golden Gate bridge. My journey will give me great photo opportunities, at least I hope so, which will result in new layouts. Also we are going for a long weekend to see the Grand Canyon, I'm very exited! In preparation I made this tag in the State colors of California with a illustration of the bridge found on cleanping. It has place to put a date and then it will go on a layout.

The coming weeks I won't be scrapping but once a while I will come here in the campus and on facebook to see what everybody is doing. See you all in June!!!

Golden Gate Tag.jpg

• Love 10

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sue I have seen more of your photos and layouts about this adorable voles and I like them all, but every new layout you do, makes me love them more. I have said it before but the nature where you live is stunning!

Corrie, I'm delighted to read that these tiny, secretive  creatures are growing on you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Wednesday I'm leaving for 3 weeks to the USA to visit my daughter, son in law and the grandkids. I'm going for the first time to the Bay area of San Francisco where they are living now. We will certainly visit the city and see the Golden Gate bridge. My journey will give me great photo opportunities, at least I hope so, which will result in new layouts. Also we are going for a long weekend to see the Grand Canyon, I'm very exited! In preparation I made this tag in the State colors of California with a illustration of the bridge found on cleanping. It has place to put a date and then it will go on a layout.

The coming weeks I won't be scrapping but once a while I will come here in the campus and on facebook to see what everybody is doing. See you all in June!!!

Golden Gate Tag.jpg

3 weeks will simply fly by, as I know you will have a wonderful, memorable time. A new city and places to investigate, and document with lots of photos to take. What an adventure you are going to have. Have a safe, uneventful flight. Already, I'm  making  notes and putting aside items for my trip home for Xmas.  I'm hoping to be out in the kayak by the time you come back.  At the moment there is still some ice on the lake.

However you added the bridge, you did a grand job. When the time comes to use the tag in a page, may I suggest you add a slight texture, to give it some body.   Again, we both had the same  idea, as I added a vole to my tag.  I used the selection tool,  feather a few times, copied and paste, added a blend mode. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

3 weeks will simply fly by, as I know you will have a wonderful, memorable time. A new city and places to investigate, and document with lots of photos to take. What an adventure you are going to have. Have a safe, uneventful flight. Already, I'm  making  notes and putting aside items for my trip home for Xmas.  I'm hoping to be out in the kayak by the time you come back.  At the moment there is still some ice on the lake.

However you added the bridge, you did a grand job. When the time comes to use the tag in a page, may I suggest you add a slight texture, to give it some body.   Again, we both had the same  idea, as I added a vole to my tag.  I used the selection tool,  feather a few times, copied and paste, added a blend mode. 

Thank you for writing how you did this.  I love all rodents, and am most excited that a red squirrel has picked our shed to have her babies.  I made one of my feeders be able to accomodate the squirrels in the winter so they had a roof over their head while munching at the diner.  We do have to go into the shed but she is way at the end, it's 25 feet long (only 4 feet wide) and she comes out and watches.  She chittered the first time, after that she just comes out and watches then goes to where ever she has her nest/den/home.  Sue, I am sure you are a nature-whisperer, the animals are probably saying, I saw "Sue" today, arent I lucky.  Kidding aside, you live in an amazing area and you make amazing art.  

• Like 2

Many years ago voles invaded my lawn. There were tunnels everywhere. One of my cats was a hunter and I told him if he caught a vole, he could have it. Well, he caught one and was very proud of himself. A friend noticed he had a vole, chased him down and took it from him...not fair...he was told he could have it. The vole was in my friend's hands and raised his head to see where he was. He promptly bit her, jumped down and ran away. So much for rescuing him...no appreciation on his part.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you for writing how you did this.  I love all rodents, and am most excited that a red squirrel has picked our shed to have her babies.  I made one of my feeders be able to accomodate the squirrels in the winter so they had a roof over their head while munching at the diner.  We do have to go into the shed but she is way at the end, it's 25 feet long (only 4 feet wide) and she comes out and watches.  She chittered the first time, after that she just comes out and watches then goes to where ever she has her nest/den/home.  Sue, I am sure you are a nature-whisperer, the animals are probably saying, I saw "Sue" today, arent I lucky.  Kidding aside, you live in an amazing area and you make amazing art.  

Susan, as always there are several ways of doing anything in PSP.  The technique I used is just one way, and relevantly quick to do, with a  nice result.  I have to go Danielson Park to see and photograph  Red Squirrels.  I think a created a page, and posted one of the Park's squirrels.  You'll have a lot of fun observing  the squirrel family,  and the young  growing up into adults. I hope you get the opportunity to to take some cool shots.  Many thanks for your kind words on my work.  

vole tag.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Many years ago voles invaded my lawn. There were tunnels everywhere. One of my cats was a hunter and I told him if he caught a vole, he could have it. Well, he caught one and was very proud of himself. A friend noticed he had a vole, chased him down and took it from him...not fair...he was told he could have it. The vole was in my friend's hands and raised his head to see where he was. He promptly bit her, jumped down and ran away. So much for rescuing him...no appreciation on his part.

I can vouch for voles biting,  they can give quite the nip.  I have catch and release mouse/vole  traps.   Those that I catch,  I take  way out into the field to the stone pile, to release them.  I have the meadow Voles, the most common are the Red-backed voles.  There are 5 species in North America. Voles are also referred to as field mice.  To have been invaded by them, they must have peaked.  Females are able to give birth to a litter every 3 weeks.  They have population cycles, peaking and crashing ever 2 to 5 years.  When they crash, it has an effect on  the population of those that feed on them, like owls and foxes.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Susan, as always there are several ways of doing anything in PSP.  The technique I used is just one way, and relevantly quick to do, with a  nice result.  I have to go Danielson Park to see and photograph  Red Squirrels.  I think a created a page, and posted one of the Park's squirrels.  You'll have a lot of fun observing  the squirrel family,  and the young  growing up into adults. I hope you get the opportunity to to take some cool shots.  Many thanks for your kind words on my work.  

vole tag.jpg

Thank you for the close up.  I'm going to give this a try.  Love the quote.  And I didnt know the common name was field mice.  I thought any mouse in the field was "field mice".  Now I know better.  

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you for the close up.  I'm going to give this a try.  Love the quote.  And I didnt know the common name was field mice.  I thought any mouse in the field was "field mice".  Now I know better.  

Like the Vole there are several species of mouse, the most common, which spans the whole of North America is the  North AmericanDeer Mouse.  Which has colour variations.  (Peromyscus maniculatus). You can't mistake a vole for a mouse, and vice versa.   We live and learn!

8 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Like the Vole there are several species of mouse, the most common, which spans the whole of North America is the  North AmericanDeer Mouse.  Which has colour variations.  (Peromyscus maniculatus). You can't mistake a vole for a mouse, and vice versa.   We live and learn!

Of all the photos I took over several days, the one used  on the tag is my favourite. The eye contact I had with this beauty, with an eye either side of the tiniest flower stem, for me  was  emotionally powerful. Sometimes I have experiences with  nature which  overwhelm me. If you know what I'm trying to say.  It's difficult to put into words.  

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Of all the photos I took over several days, the one used  on the tag is my favourite. The eye contact I had with this beauty, with an eye either side of the tiniest flower stem, for me  was  emotionally powerful. Sometimes I have experiences with  nature which  overwhelm me. If you know what I'm trying to say.  It's difficult to put into words.  

I know that teary kind of experience.  I understand the lack of words to describe it, it makes me teary (could just be menopause though ?).  Overwhelming is probably the best way to describe it.  I usually feel incredibly grateful I was there at that moment.  I looked up voles and mouse and they are quite different.  Voles have a face like a beaver kind of.  they have cute faces.

Out my patio door I saw what looked like the back end of a gray squirrel with two tails. She appeared to be burrowing under my concrete patio. I opened the slider and tossed out a few peanuts in the shell. She popped out with her baby! So sweet!  ? The title font is Oswald Stencil. The tree is a stamp. 

GRAY SQUIRREL MAMA_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

16 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I will follow your suggestion! I wanted to quickly make something for this challenge and it can be used on a later layout, so I was in a bit of a hurry ? Thanks for the good wishes and I'm like you, I always make notes and put things aside for a next trip.