August TUT/TECH Challenge - Watercolor

Cassel

https://scrapbookcampus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Tut-Tech-Challenge.jpg

The Campus is the perfect place to learn more about photo editing, various techniques, or PSP in general.

This challenge will give you an opportunity to practice some of those techniques or use some tools.

This time, the Tut/Tech Challenge will be to convert a photo to a watercolor design. You can use that technique to create a background for a scrapbook project out of a photo that is imperfect, or you can use it to showcase a photo on its own. You can follow the tutorial in this blot post to help.

Show us what you learned.

This is so cool!  I have never done this or even imported brushes before.  This tutorial had all the instructions needed and a place to get brushes to import.  Fabulous!  I didn't know where the Edge smoothing effect was but found it and did it at 30.  I don't know what that effect does or if it did anything at all but I'll keep doing it "just in case". ?  I love this painterly effect.   I put it on a white background.

I put a textured background on it and added a title.  The texture will probably be lost in this smaller format.  I was looking for a sort of watercolor paper texture.  Wish they had thin the texture effects. the font is Romantic Serif from Creative Fabrica.

So, I noticed this on the one I posted to FB.  Carole, if you look at space between the N and I in the one called "resize" and the one called "-600" you will see the "resized" one is farther away.  I made no changes to the kerning and the psp version is closer together.  Do you know why it did that.  I went back to fix the spacing and saw the psp version was fine as was the full size jpg version.  I resaved the smaller size and it is closer.  very weird.

Susan that is real cool. I read the tutorial and downloaded it. I do have some watercolor brushes that I got as freebies from Creative Fabrica sometime ago. Might try them out on a photo before I leave on my September travels. Like what you do. This photo reminds me of when my husband and I used to go fishing.

Thank you Mary.  The photo does have that early morning (it was early) just-setting-out-on-the-lake feel doesn't it.  I love that early morning quiet.  I think the watercolor effect has a lot to do with it.   This technique makes even a beginner like me look like I've done something complicated.  Have fun on your travels, I'll look forward to the layouts you create upon your return.

Carole I have a problem with the watercolor brushes. I  am working on a photo and my watercolorbrush stays the same it doesn't  rotate! All the settings are as in the TUT including those for the brush varience. I have checked and checked but I cann't find what I'm doing wrong. I included a screenshot in the hope that it is big enough for you to see. So please help.

I think the photo of Susan turned out much better. Nicely done Susan!

I applied the Edge Preserving Smooth effect on my photo for the water color several times, but I am not completely satisfied with my result.

For the bottom photos I used the script lifted photo from Carole.

The texts are alphas that I once downloaded as a freebee, and colored them in.

Thank you so much Marie-Claire. I think it turned out because I didnt really know what I was doing, crazily clicking away.  We'll call it a happy accident.  Hope I can replicate it again.  Yours and Julie's are beautiful.  It's such a cool effect.  I never tire of seeing pets either.  Love that sun streak Julie.

I too didn't think mine choice of brush was rotating.  I checked the setting too, but figured it was something I was doing to make it seem that way.  I cant remember if I was clicking and stopping or clicking and moving the mouse, probably a bit of both.  I did go back and click here and there to fill in some spots.  I got luck in how it turned out.

Good morning Carole and seeing a black brush on a white surface I know understand why I thought the brush wasn't rotating. The brush do rotate but only on the paper while it keeps its original form that I choose and that let me think it didn't rotate. Being a watercolor brush on the checkerboard I simply couldn't see it clearly. Thank you for answering a "stupid" question!

See you in the workshop

This is my current project.  Using the watercolor technique, I'm making some pages to use as 'title pages' in a video with Corel Video Studio.  The video is a collection of clips from my 8th grade grandson's football games.  I took snapshots from the clips to highlight in the title pages.  Some I will use the Title 3 workshop skills I learned and some I will just use my pages as backgrounds for animated titles in Video Studio.  I just started the pages today, but I think it will work very well.  By the way, in this picture, he had played almost the whole game with the temperature at game time hitting 102 degrees!  I might add the look of sweat drops around the edges.  Does that sound gross?

I love this tree and have taken many photos of it - I added a canvas background which doesn't quite show on a reduced image and it seemed to need a frame, this is one that came with Paintshop.   I might try again with a different brush.

Great work on the Story Time challenges! They make interesting reading and feelings of happiness and sadness and a  way to relive and remember.   It has always been interesting to follow the Pickleball games posts and now to finally get an up close and personal story from the Pickleball itself was a great read!