Scrap Bootcamp - April 2022

Cassel

Carole wrote: "Ann (#75504), I am a bit puzzled. Looking at the shadows, the striped paper LOOKS like it has also a striped shadow. Is that just an optical illusion or something related to the resizing, or do you see the same thing?"

Carole: I made that layout using a previous design as a template. Those mats were added using "clip-to-it script." I added new shadows. Perhaps the masks already had shadows, so they doubled when I added mine now?

From now on all my shadows are going on a separate layer and I'll hopefully avoid that problem!

I am just making my way into the Bootcamp for PSP.  I signed up quite early for it and then wasn't able to get started on time.  We had our grandsons for a couple of weeks for a visit!  I think I'll likely work on scraping pages from their visit.  I, at one time was a regular digi-scrapper for years and then as often happens life got busy and it fell by the wayside.  I'm eager to get started again and dust off my skills and hope it will be a little like riding a bike!  I think I'm just supposed to start at the beginning of the bootcamp blogs and make my way through?  If this isn't correct, please just let me know.  Happy Scrapping!

Jamie, if you are already familiar with digiscrapping using PSP, you can probably jump right into Projects 1 to 5 as the first two days were meant more for the newcomers. Through the Projects, you will have a chance to revisit the basic tools that you will use over and over again.

Welcome to the Campus!

Here's my Project 4 - Despite the Forecast - Live Like It's Spring! I used the hummingbird feeder photo treated to a Kaleidoscope Reflection Effect and blurred with lowered opacity as my background and put darker green layer under it. The photos are mine from my yard this week. I had to bring in the Hummingbird Feeder as the temp dropped below freezing. It's been sunny, cold and windy! I used the Color Replacer Tool to change the colors of the striped paper.

Jean (#75544) those are great photos to showcase. Did Tilda continue the sport?

Liz (#75548) now, I won't be worried that the wall will fall :) . Just time to add shadows to your papers and elements.

Ann (#75552) it is interesting to hear. I wonder if the Clip-to-It used shading instead of a solid black. It is just "unusual". (#75566) I am looking forward to spring. Glad you found a way to customize the color of the stripes to suit your need.

Pirkko (#75559) beautiful photos. You could probably add a wide shadow on the flowers to give them volume. It is fun to see translucent ribbons.

Suzanne (#75562) great page. Those scattered elements CAN also be placed on top of the photos for an added effect, as long as they don't cover the important parts of the photo.

Jamie (#75563) looking forward to seeing your projects.

Alan, (#75572) that bird made me smile for sure. I see you used those corner brushes for a special effect around your paper. I guess it is still based on the "simple" pinking technique!

Here is my Day 9 project 4.  I'm not real happy with it yet.  PSP was acting weird tonight and when I saved it as a jpg the 'l' and the 'e' in 'Blue" changed colors to a darker yellow-red.  They were like the 'a' in 'jay'.  And it's only the -600 resized version that is like that, the large jpg has the lighter colors in the letters.  I wanted to add water drops as scatter but Digital Scrapbook was down for maintenance.  I tried lots of elements but have yet to find one I liked.

I really enjoyed the pages I got to see tonight.  Beautiful work from everyone.

Carole thanks for the observation about the shadows on my project 3 - I thought that something didn't look quite right.

My project 4

Most items from Jessica Dunn's Spring Day Mini kit

Sprig of flowers from Jessica Dunn's Spring Skies kit '

Font is Javanese Text

The photos are mine from a local walk

Project 5 Day 11.  Sumi on the ironing board.  No iron on the board, I had gone to get it and came back to find her and her sister Saya on the ironing board.  I took advantage of the photo op.  The papers and elements are all Digital Scrapbook.  the font is a windows font (Gills Sans Ultra Bold and Gill Sans MT).  The "O" is Sumi's eye...and Yup, it's kinda creepy.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  The flower is two flowers layered on top of each other and then merged.  the title is from the blue rounded rectangle.  I'm not really a fan of crooked frames, I cant seem to make it look okay or part of the picture is cropped off which makes me a bit nutty.  I used Hue/Saturation to changed the color.

I had real issue's with the text tool today, I'm assuming I did something I didn't know I did.  After I clicked apply and I have the 8 pick nodes around it, it would not resize at all, I could pull the corner node (set to scale) and it would just snap back to its original size.  I did notice something the tools option bar was odd looking.  I had to change the vectors to a raster to use the pick nodes to change size.  I have being getting odd issues with PSP 2022 ultimate and it's really lagging a lot.  I think I might go back to 2021 ultimate and keep 2022 for it's ai tools in case I need them.

Project 4, it took me awhile. I'm using PSP 2019, and sometimes it will just close. I try to save often, but sometimes I forget and get moving along....and then it will decide to close :(

Some of the birds from my yard. After I picked the photos and the title, I began to wonder if the goldfinch is a male...oh well, I think it is a male....I should do some research.

Susan (#75590) I love those photos! They make me smile. I think that water droplets would surely look great. And by the way, the site is back up. (#75603) Trying to figure out what might have been the issue with your Text tool. When it shows those nodes, it does not work as simply as the Pick tool, although it should not behave like you describe either. That is just odd. After the Bootcamp (or before the end if you really want), you can reset your PSP and see if it would help (but you would lose all your customization, so you might want to wait).

Liz (#75598) you know the drill: practice makes perfect :) (#75605) You seem to be getting more and more comfortable with each project as far as shadows are concerned. (#75639) Your title looks quite busy and hard to read. Maybe you can choose either a solid fill or a solid outline instead of two patterns?

Sharla (#75600) you see how you "felt" that something was wrong when the shadows were missing. Now, when you "feel" the same, I am sure you will pay attention to see how the shadows are.

Ann (#75625) you did a great job with that shape of photo! What is the font of the journaling? It does not look like the Mama font.

Alan (#75627) that is a great way to embellish your title! You used more than one element, and it works great!

Jean (#75630) great layout with Bianca. And will we see more recent pictures of Tilda?

Linda (#75633) you have some nice and friendly visitors!

Pirkko (#75642) you might want to consider adjusting the font size on the journaling because some letters are hiding under the frame.

I was worried about that Carole (losing my settings).  I'll see how it goes.  I thought something was up because when I open PSP it always has some kind of advertising for PSP then I get the happy lady logo (they are using for 2022).  I used to have to close that first.  Now it comes up and it's blank (no advertising but the box is there, blank) and I can't close it using the "X" in the corners.  I was able to check the don't  show this box and get it closed somehow and haven't had it come up again.  That started a few weeks ago so I think something is unhappy.  Also, fibre optic is coming to my neighborhood and there is work trucks and linemen around working.  We haven't noticed a disruption but you never know.  I never uninstalled 2021 so I can use that in the interm if I need to.  2022 really lags even to just click save as, there is a 4-5 second wait time, it used to come up immediately.  Small things like that.  It auto saves way too often, I need to learn if I can make it save less often or have it so I prompt the save.  I did get on Digital Scrapbook and downloaded some water droplets and will play around with them on the layout.  What I did was made a selection of the background paper with the water stains on it, turned it upside down and stuck it on the bottom. ?