Scrap Bootcamp - April 2022

Cassel

ScrapBootcamp3-800-Title-400x300.jpg

First of all, come and say HI once you register for this bootcamp.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer everyone up.

Everyone started as a beginner, so don't ever compare yourself to others. You will learn one tool at the time, one concept at the time and you will create one project at the time. Everyone will have different photos and possibly different supplies so every project will be different.

Once the Bootcamp is started, on April 11th, 2022, you can post your projects in here.

Remember to resize your images to about 600 pixels AND saving in jpg format, before uploading it so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces. Try to follow the tutorials at least enough that we can recognize what lesson you completed.

Now, let's get ready !

If you missed the registration link or if you found this thread before I announce it (some people are very observant), HERE it is. Share it around if you want.

Although this Bootcamp is mostly meant to help beginners, we won't exclude anyone for "excess experience". Some participants are back for a second round. You are always welcome. Remember that it will be the exact same tutorials so don't be surprised. I am sure you will now do something slightly different than the previous time.

Since anyone can follow the whole Bootcamp using the trial version of PaintShop Pro, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone to give it a try and see how they like the program, so share with your friends who MIGHT consider using PaintShop Pro.

The 7 tutorials will be spaced out over almost 2 weeks. This should make it easier for participants to follow without feeling stressed (it should never be stressful!).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

here I am - again :)  Hi, everybody!

The hardest task first - to choose a suitable photo; there's so many of them. However, I would not use images where the face is recognizable - for privacy policy. So, how about spring flowers ?  .. or  migration birds  ...spring progress ..

This year, spring is a little late in Finland.

Rio needs to get involved - definitely :)

Here I am again, also. This workshop is a habit with me. I love the designs Carole Cassel uses in this class but somehow, each time I do the assignment it looks totally different than last time. (I think this is my 5th go-round! ;-) ) Here's a new shot of my great-grand Magic that I may use. She'll be turning 2 in June. We'll see ...

Hi everybody, My preferences are light gray for the workspace and medium gray for the background. Palettes enabled are materials, layers and tool options. Workspace is set to edit . The script tool bar has been added. This morning, a local walk through fields and woodland resulted in several photos of the arrival of Spring. Here's just one I tend to use.

Hi everyone.

I am new in here and I am looking forward to see what it´s all about.

I am supposed to upload a photo I am going to use... But as I have no idea what I am going to create it isn´t easy.

but I chose this photo because I love the colors and I´m sure I can use it for something.

Hope I´m doing it right...

colors

PSP set to open in the Edit workspace, with dark workspace and medium background.  Layers palette, scripts palette and materials open.  I'm using the materials palette from 2022 version.  I like the classic look better and I think it's easier to use, but I like the sliders in 2022 when I want a specific RGB or CMY Hue (especially for an upcoming project where i want very specific Hues).   I work untabbed.  It looks pretty much like Ann's workspace.  Like Ann this is also my 5th time through.  Still learning from watching the videos and reading the comments of the participants.

Hi everyone, I barely made a start and I LOVE it! I chose a light grey workspace, a light grey background (even if I wish the contrast in the toolbar and palette was more pronounced) and I increased the size of the icon and text size to make it easier on my eyes. Here are some pics of a favourite girl and I have no idea what I'll do with them, but I look forward to the adventure.?

Susan (#75067) welcome back. It is ok if you don't have a theme. Our photos and stories might often be scattered a bit, so just go with the flow.

Pirkko (#75069) that is definitely a part that can take longer than creating a page itself! picking the photos, picking the kit, and tweaking until we like the result can be... long!

Marjolijn (#75070) welcome to the Bootcamp. I also read that medium/light grey would show the colors better, but I guess it might also depend on the type of photos one works with. At least, you know you can change it if you ever need to.

Liz (#75076) there is always a story that can be told with those funny signs.

Ann (#75079) looking forward to seeing more of Magic.

Alan (#75084) are we going to see a spring theme series of pages?

Suzanne (#75089) welcome to the Campus and the Bootcamp. Is that a photo of the sky? Is there a story behind that photo? You will have a chance to tell that story in the various projects.

Cristina (#75092) Looking forward to seeing more of those cute faces!!!

Sandy (#75123) if you are already in love with this first lesson, what will it be later? Tomorrow, you will have a ball with the sandwich!!

Keep this up. I will come in and comment on all your posts, every evening. If you have a question, don't hesitate to post it, and either I or another member will be happy to help you. If you try to post and your post does not show up, don't panic; click on the Need help? tab on the right and let me know. Occasionally, the spam filter is just overzealous and catches some posts. If that is the case, I just have to pull it from the filter and it will appear. It just happens.

I am back again too, ready to learn more! My husband is having some surgery this week, so I will try not get behind.

I will be using PSP 2019. I like a medium gray workspace and a dark gray background. I am not sure what photos I will be using, but I just downloaded a bunch off my DSLR that I use out my kitchen window, mostly birds and critters. Spring is slow here in Pennsylvania, but I do have a few spring flowers blooming. Thanks Pirkko, for the reminder of flowers

Here is my table.  I made a club sammy for my hubby.  Added chicken meat too and some extra pickles ( he doesn't like them, so I'll get to eat them...that's why I added more ?).  Coffee is the order of the day...it's still morning, he likes it black.  I bought a table cloth from Creative Fabrica for the table (okay, by "bought" I really mean FREE!).  He's upstairs eating it right now, and he even noticed the table cloth.

Him:  Is this a new table cloth

Me:  oh no, we've had it for months

That's how it goes when I buy something and try and sneak it into the house without him noticing...it's a running joke. He doesn't care if I buy stuff, and well, I don't buy stuff that often.

Cant wait to see all the participants yummy tables.

Guest Guest

I made my own sandwich, without drink (they say it is healthier to drink either before or after. Ok, actually I'm just a little lazy ;)

I have dark wholemeal bread, majonice, sallade, onion, fried turkey, fresh cucumber...

I made a open-face BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) sandwich. Only one slice of bread, so there is more room for bacon! I only make BLT's when I have fresh tomatoes from my garden. It is much to early for that now where I live. But I will pretend it is August, and the tomatoes are juicy and ripe, the bacon is stacked up high! Oh, and I am sitting at an old well used picnic table.

Lynda (#75127) It is a perfect time to get those photos off your camera, right? (#75168) Did you make the bacon yourself or did you download it?

Susan (#75144) will you make your own sandwich or will you just eat the parts your husband won't eat?

Pirkko (#75148) I have all the elements to make a more "realistic" sandwich for this exercise, but I like the "basic shapes" that let you be even more creative! Out of curiosity, where did you get all those elements for your sandwich?

Alan (#75151) maybe you will be able to add that butter and coleslaw later when you get more acquainted with the various tools? As long as you save a .pspimage version, you can always get back to it to tweak the image.

Ann S. (#75157) every time you do the Bootcamp, you create a different sandwich. Maybe you should start a sandwich bar?

Keep those sandwiches coming. You should be getting one email every single day around the same time. If you are missing one email, check your spam folder, and even your deleted folder. If you still can't find it, drop me an email and I will send you a copy.

Hi all, I found myself stuck on these...not surprising for a novice, I'm sure! See below my questions as well as Cassel's reply:

1. Where can I find the minimize button for the sandwich pic?

2. Where do the backgrounds other people have used come from OR how can I add one as a background?

Hi Sandy, the minimize button is not as visible when you have tabbed documents. Go to Window > Tabbed Documents and Uncheck it.

Then you will see something like this...(see uploaded image).

For the backgrounds, people can either use existing patterns in their Materials palette, or they go on various sites to download them. One common site that is used is https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/

You can download up to 5 elements per day for free on that site. You can check under the Graphics, Kits and Commons to find something you like. It is really our go-to site. You have to create an account but it is free.

And if you want, you can also post those questions in the forum as others might also wonder the same thing

Worth sharing! ?