Bootcamp - January 2022

Cassel

Perry, that is a good lunch you made! Looking forward to the other projects you will make.

Peter, great final result! I love your pearls of wisdom. Did you figure out what were the two P's on the top left corner?

Remember that if you have not yet posted your four projects, you still have until tomorrow night to post them. 

And take a couple of minutes to fill out the survey too!

Cassel, I think the mysterious "two p's" were on a second base paper that I hadn't yet deleted. Probably another example of text that somehow got converted to raster, because I couldn't select them to delete.

Thanks again for all your encouragement and support.

BTW, I lost the link to that photo-editing seminar you mentioned.  Is it too late to sign up for it?

My final project.

Thanks for the tip about closing the jpg before resizing; I also lost my text and got it back by following your suggestion.

I am still having problems with my text. I try selecting the text but something happens so that my selection is of the raster layer below it. If I eventually manage to get the vector layer selected, I cannot get the text highlighted to be able to change it. I suspect that I am not understanding something basic here. :)

The other thing that has happened is that suddenly when I open a new paper etc , it takes over the whole workspace. Any ideas, please?

Here is my submission for Project 4.

The pictures were created by me using another software -- however, I frequently use the Kaleidoscope in PaintShop Pro.

Once again, I am concerned about whether the colours go together well.

The "snowflake" that is cut into the black was actually taken from a selection of the centre of one of the shapes, placed over the background, copied and then pasted. There is probably a better way to actually cut through the paper using the selected shape.

I tried to put shadows on everything but may have missed something.

I did notice for the picture on the right, the bottom one, I added outside instead of inside and it rounded the corners. I did not want to infringe on the image. Not sure why the corners ended up being rounded.

It has been fun to try this.

Thank you to Carole for setting this up for us.

Thank you for all who participated and shared your masterpieces.

I will rework the projects to make them better.  For some reason Project 3 - all the pictures grouped into one and I could not manipulate each one individually.  I could not get the group to ungroup.  Also, I could not find more options on the text command to curve the text, or to change it to vertical automatically.  The pictures, I could rotate them, but not flip them.  I have to get more familiar with the PaintShop program.  I can finally get more than one picture on the canvas without losing the previous one, they just kept disappearing.  I am determined to learn this.  It's a challenge.

Kathy S

Randy, I LOVE those Kaleidoscopes.  The colors are great and I could go into a long and probably boring explanation of why they go together.  If you also like it then it's the right combo.  I also would like to know about those rounded corners.  I tend to crop (in camera) pretty close so I don't want to use "inside" for the border.  At the same time I like crisp clean 90 degree corners.

Randy and Susan: to get the square corners on a selection frame, after you have selected the width of the frame in Selections>Modify>Select Selection Border, use the rectangle selection button and click on the button "Custom Selection" and then flood fill with your color or pattern.  I am attaching a screenshot showing the completed frame and the button for the rectangle selection "Custom Selection".  Hope this helps.  The one with the arrows.

Hello I am submitting my project 5.  I will definitely practice the text shadowing.  I merged one of my texts with the background to move them together, and then could not figure out how to unmerge.  Tomorrow I will play with it again and see if I could do better.

Kathy

Kathy, to answer your question, once you merged two layers, you can't unmerge them unless it is something you JUST did and you can undo it. If you want layers to stay "aligned", you would be better to LINK them. Check this article about linking layers. Once linked, layers can be unlinked and relinked as needed, unlike the merging.

Oh Mary, I tried.  I don't have those buttons on either of my PSP (2020-2022) programs.  I did the Selections>Modify>Select Selection Border, but see no rectangle selection button or customize button anywhere.  Clearly I'm not seeing what I should be seeing.  thanks again, this one is over my head.

Ann - Thank you for posting the screenshot. This problem popped up for me again.  Looking at your toolbar, I realized that the second half of mine was missing which means the options I needed weren't available.

Using RESET ALL in the TOOLBARS tab of the Customize option and restarting PSP, the toolbar now looks like the one in your screenshot.

Randy and Susan.  I have taken a couple more screenshots to show how to go about the square corners.

1st using the magic wand and selections to select your border width; do not flood fill until you activate the rectangle selection tool.  Then click on the custom selection button and OK in the custom selection box.  Then you can flood fill and deselect.

Be sure your "Tool Options" palette is open.

Thank you Ann, Mary, Gerry and Cassel for your help!  I did make it work.  And yes, I'd love a tutorial on this.  Mary your step by step is great, directions were easy to understand.  Ann, seeing it up close really helped to see what the buttons looks like.  Carole, this is what I can add to something new I learned in this camp.  Each camp, if I just pick up one gem like this tip, is like winning the technique lottery.

There is one thing in particular that I learned that I will be using, going forward.

1. Opening the Scrapbook page that items will be added to. Keeping this page open.

2. Opening an image to add. (Making sure that there is room for at least part of the Scrapbook page to be visible.) Selecting the layer of the item to add and dragging it to the Scrapbook page.

Many times I have copied and pasted, but I like the dragging much better.

>>> And I probably should have know this, but found sometime during the Bootcamp, that when I have a folder open with something that I want to use in PSP, I can just drag a picture from the folder into PSP (Edit) - rather than open or open with.

There are other things too, but this one stands out.