Bootcamp - July 2021

Cassel

My final project for this Bootcamp. The photo of the stained glass window is mine. The frame is one of Cassel's, the cross I used as a "T" is from www.digitalscrapbook.com. Whew, I have learned so much more this time even if I have done bootcamp before.

Anne L, this is so beautiful.  I can't resist stained glass or glass of any kind (I was a glass fuser and lampworker once upon a time).  I agree with you, I have learned so much more this time around.  I recommend doing the bootcamp more than once.  For me, the first time through was "deer in the headlights". This time, even though I still had some issues that Cassel and the participants help me overcome, I felt more calm and at ease.

If I was to add the biggest thing I learned, don't be afraid to try stuff and explore what the other tools do.  I can get caught up in my head thinking, what if I get stuck and cant fix it.  Well, I can always start again...after I've come to the forum here and FB page to seek guidance.  I'm not in this alone.  Alone didn't work for me in the past.

Ravin, love the photo backgrounds you use, never get tired of Porthos!

Wendy, what a beautiful tribute to 4 generations, a forever memory.

Hank, I like the effect of the elements on the little squares.

Hi everybody!

Wow...It is already down to the end of Bootcamp!!!  For my final project, I used the scrapkit Coastal by dsi from Sweet Shoppe.  I used Cooper Black and Desard.

I haven't looked at anything that has come in the last few days, but will do so here in a bit.  I am anxious to see all of your projects!  Such wonderful renditions I see!

Have a great day!

Pixie

Hi Everyone

Here is my last project for this class.  I used scrap kit by K Aagard "Gone Fishing".  I used the FFX Brag font for the title (I also added a layer around my letters in black so that the title showed up better. I also used  BallantinesSerial-Heavy for the font of my page.  The Picture is of a creek in Idaho where we caught Trout.

Fond memories!!

This is the last class, but hope to see you all next time, was great seeing all the fabulous creations that everyone made.

This bootcamp has been great.  Learned somethings I did not know about PSP and learned a little more about Scrapping.

Thanks Cassel for the lessons and hope to join you again for another Boot Camp.

Nonie

Wow! what beautiful pieces since I last checked (Neala, Dennis, Nonie).  I've never being so excited to check into a forum like I am with this bootcamp.  I'm in awe of what everyone has produced.  I forgot to add, one thing I learned (re-learned?) that I will use a lot is "Crop to Selection" . this is way easier to crop photo's this way.  the nice thing about Scrapbook layouts is that I dont have to rely on traditional photo sizes.  It's taken me a while to get to this realization since I come from a photography background where I like to get it as close to right in-camera.  But this has opened up a new way to look at my photo's and use them more than once.

Bravo Everyone!  We done good!

Cyndi, good work, you did :)

Ravin, it is really different when using a photo as a background, but hey! why not? I am glad you are getting more comfortable with PSP.

Wendy, you managed to resize the photos correctly without any distortion. That is a good lesson. And I look forward to seeing your granddaughter in more projects! One issue on your project #3 is the shadows. They are all over the place. They are missing on the photo, while on the glittered mat, the shadow is toward the top right, and quite large, meaning the mat is floating off the page. Then, the golden decorations have different shadows: one to the right and one to the left, and they are also very wide, making the decoration float (I am unsure but are they supposed to be gold stickers?)

Hank, beautiful last project. Did you add two shadows on the ribbon frame? (that is a great frame by the way!)

Anne L., funny, I don't remember that frame you say is mine!

Neala, that is a fun element to use in the title!!! Good work.

Dennis, I see that your text extends further than the mat it probably was intended for. If you notice that, you have a few options to stay within the area: you can slightly reduce the font size, or you can reduce the Leading value to something like -0.1 or -0.2. You can find that setting in the Text options toolbar, toward the right, where you hover over an icon that will show "More options".

Nonie, it is a cool idea to use a lure for the "i" in the title. If you have a chance, maybe you can consider colorizing it, since it is green and tends to blend with the green patterned paper. What do you think?

Susan, if you want to look into other types of cropping, you might like to read point #3 on this post about using bad photos.

Hi all.  I am entering finished project # 4 . Used our newbie and her best friend as subject. Played with effects on my text and found some really awesome effects (hope they are not to dark). Used some glitter from pixel arts and some pages that i had downloaded before. Tried out the eraser and had some fun with that. grabbed some free clip art for the small bears. There is so much to do and so many ways to do it. Its getting late so I did finish this off in a bit of a rush so hope it does not look to unfinished. I might re do somethings with it later. Thank you for the guidance into scrap booking.

All good things must end and scrolling through all the pages there are certainly good things here.  I enjoy seeing all the creativity and I learn as much from Carole's comments and replies to posts as from the projects.  Here are my last 3, a little bit rushed as I was trying to catch up unfortunately I have been unable to complete them till now.

Day 7 - all mine apart from the flower elements and I am not sure where they originated.

Day 9 - I was having trouble to find papers to suit so it is all  photos, the camels take people along the beach, it is a great sunset tourist attraction. I changed the sky in 2 photos but it is a bit too blue!  I see I cut off the lead camel's nose when I applied the boarder.  Something I need to be aware of when making an inside selection.

Day 11 and final for this boot camp.   Photo and papers are mine, the lamp, tree and moon from my stash, the frame is from alluring amethyst, and the sprinkly stars are from captivating nights.  The camels on the beach and the staircase to the moon images are from the internet. The chain links holding the lamp are a corel tube.

Thank you to all who posted such amazing creations and to Cassel for the Bootcamp.

It has been such a great experience being here in the Bootcamp!!  I have truly enjoyed seeing everybody's creations!  Thank you so much Cassell for this opportunity to learn new tips and tricks.  I learned things that I probably forgot way back, but it is like a new door has opened!!

Great job to everybody!

Hugs,

Pixie

This is my last project #5 for this bootcamp. I struggled a bit to make it work until - after a night's sleep - I thought of making hexagonal papers instead of the squares! Sometimes it helps to lay it aside and do something completely different for a while (be it sleeping). The papers are from a kit Summerlove fromPixelscrapper but I changed the colors to my liking. The honeycomb, paintsplash, seedscatter, 2 bigger bees and the clip are also found on Pixelscrapper. The other bees are an overlay from InlyDeals that I got for rating someting that I bought overthere a while ago.

It hasn't been a waist of time doing the bootcamp again and I have certainly found that I had forgotten some details. Such as making the title using a paper as a pattern and that you can close a paper after you did CtrlC before pasting it on the project.

I have enjoyed seeing all the different layouts that have been made and hope I see many of you again in the camps.

Corrie, that is beautiful.  What a great idea to do hexagonal paper pieces.  when you say you changed the colors to your liking, how did you do that.  I didnt think you could change colors other than using the opacity.  this goes back to me needing to just play with the settings and see what happens I think.  I often find the color isnt quite what I want but I just go with it.  One of the reason I want to learn to make my own papers (hoping the Diamond membership will help with that).

Susan, thank you. There is a simple manner to change a color by using the colorchanger which is hidden under the flood fill tool. With your dropper you can pick a color from your photo of from whatever you like on your project and then apply it. It is not always giving a good result, depending on the original color of that paper or element but it keeps the texture if there is any. There are more ways to do this, but this is simple and quick. Of course you can then adjust further with the opacity if needed.

Wendy, using the pinked edge on the photo is another way to be creative! I think that if you went fast, you might have skipped the shadowing on the project (except for the little elephant, which has a huge shadow). I am sure that will be your favorite subject for a while, and we will enjoy looking at your projects too!

Euka, those cousins look like they are having fun! On your flowers, you can allow yourself a more blur on the shadow. See how it looks. On the Camel project, it is fun to use the pinked edges on the photo. When the edge is in a contrasting color from the background, the effect is even more stunning. On the Broome Sunset, I don't know if it is just me but it seems odd to have that fantastic sunset photo tilted: my brain is looking for a horizontal horizon!

Corrie, that is definitely a way to go from an idea and tweak it to get something else. Those hexagons are perfect for that project. And yes, when you copy something, it is held in the clipboard so even if the image is closed, it is still available to paste afterward.

Joke, that is a really good start. Now, to add dimension to an otherwise flat montage, look at adding drop shadows to all your paper elements. And when it comes to the frame itself, allow yourself a wider shadow (like 30 pixels offset, and a blur of 30). You will see how those elements will pop up.

For anyone who has not yet filled out the survey, take a moment to do so!

Thank you Corrie, that gives me more options.  I did the Basic Scrapbook Course too (I highly recommend this to everyone) and I'm reading through the downloaded PDF's and realizing how much I've forgotten from that course too, about the opacity.  It definitely needs a paper behind it.  Using white or black at 1/2 opacity can give me tints and shades and using 50% grey (or 25% white and black) I can get tones.  Well that's the theory anyway, I am looking forward to testing this out (from what I've learned with CMY  used for print output).