Bootcamp - July 2021

Cassel

Hi all

Anne & Henry here. Henry and I are doing this course together because I have developed a painful problem in my hands and find it difficult to manage the mouse. I tell him what I am looking for and he makes the moves for me. I am hoping that it will improve so I can do it myself. Here is my sandwich.

Anne

Anne L., good work on the project 1. Your shadows are good, although, on a busy background, I probably would have used a darker one if it is supposed to be a cut out paper, or no shadow if it is supposed to be written with ink.

Ann, what led me to believe the scattered elements were squished is that the round confetti look oval to me.

Euka, at least, it won't be too much of a change from 2020 to 2021! That is interesting to use a full photo as a background. Well done.

Libera, I am a little puzzled with the shadows. Your frames seem to have a sort of extrusion effect, which would mean that the frames would be way above the paper, yet, the photo and the elements (nuts) have absolutely no shadow as if they were floating into thin air. I am curious; how did you get that "extrusion" effect on the frame?

Cristina, don't worry about creativity. Right now, you are concentrating on the technique and it is quite a bit to absorb and put all together. Creativity will come when you get more comfortable with the program. And you know, if you save your project in .pspimage format, you can come back later and tweak it.

Susan, one way to help with inspiration is to look at other projects and see what you like and what you don't like. We all have different tastes and while some people love busy layouts, others prefer minimalist. Nothing is really good or bad. Even my advices are often more of a personal preference.

Ravin, the text can be formated in PSP, but if you copy it from another program, it only copies the text itself and not the formating. If you want the text inside a particular shape, you can follow this tutorial. On the other hand, if you want to copy the text a little like a screenshot, you can copy it and paste it as a new layer and not a text. Of course, it also means that it is not editable.

Corrie, looking forward to seeing more flowers in your future projects. Good work.

Anne S., hopefully, your hand will heal fast. I am sure it must be annoying having someone try to move the mouse for you! So, what did you add to the small plate? Is it a biscuit? or a dessert?

Dennis, what version of PSP are you using? If you have PSP2021, you could enlarge that photo so you can showcase more of it! All those flowers you added would really pop with shadows. Did you fix that issue with the Drop Shadow?

Cyndi, your text is a little hard to read with that color. Could you change it to a more neutral, like white or black? Also be careful with an outline on the text. It often makes it harder to read unless the text is quite large.

Cassel Thanks. I waffled back and forth on wether that text was written or not. I had not thought about making the shadow darker for a busy paper. Thanks.

Nela I thought your hydrangea page turned out really beautiful.

Euka I hope the nasty bugs didn't eat your pretty lace doilie.

Janet B I thought that background paper was really good for your Coastal Waters page.

George You are never to old to learn. If you are like me sometime the same thing more than once, especially if it is something you don't use very often.

Here is the Day 5 - assignment. Introducing my Siamese Fighting Fish: Red Wolf the Betta. lol I'm having a lot of fun with my first tropical fish in many years. They live alone in a 5 gal tank or larger. Sometimes they tolerate snails as tankmates. He looks mean because he IS mean. He glares at me and dares me to approach his tank! ;-)

The photo is mine, the patterned paper from my stash and I created the textured papers with flood fill and a texture effect. The shell is a Corel Summer Clip Art freebie. The branches are from Marisa Lerin of Pixelscrappers.  The title text is Algerian. I used 3 layers for the background so I have a double border.

Hi all:

My picture is one I took years ago, on a Sunday drive. It's set in winter and I thought the mirror image was beautiful.

I am really enjoying learning PSP. Thank you all for the compliments and encouragement that you have posted here.

Have a great day.

:) Janet

I decided to use this picture for my day 5 project. My Husband's family tried to get together twice a year. This one is from 2018 and several of the cousins have passed away since then. That is the reason for the "Life is too short comment in the corner. Of course I also couldn't resist some scatter.

Hi All!

Today I used a FTU scrap from MizTeeques called the Canary and The Flamingo for Day 5.

The font I used is Amazona

I used the same layout but added an additional photo to give to my good friend as this is her granddaughter.

I am really enjoying seeing everybody's creations, and all the nice comments.

Enjoy your day!

Pixie

Here is Day 5 Project 2.  I thought I'd get in on the rodent action too.  This is from Manning Park, BC just outside the Lower Mainland (Vancouver).  it was only an 1.5  hrs to this beautiful provincial park (from my house in Chilliwack, BC) and we went camping there every year on my birthday so I could see the ground squirrels.  Manning park is also home to many black bears and I'd be laying down photographing the ground squirrels a there would be bears walking around the day use area.  I'm not too sure about the shadows on the 2 titles.  When the title color is dark it's hard to tell there is a shadow.  Also the flowers I wondered if it was too much shadow, they look like they might be floating to high.  I used the basic shadows from my cheat sheet (from the Basic Scrap Course).

The papers and the flowers are from Pixel Scrapper, KMRD Steampunk kit and the textured overlay was Merissa Lerin.  some of the papers and the overlay I reduced the opacity.  I forget what font it was (oops), the photo is mine.

I really enjoyed logging in to see all the new layouts.  They are really inspiring, thank you all.  thank you Cassel, I will start looking at works I really like and deconstruct what I like about it. I was taught that in Photography too.  Now, I'm off to work...sniff sniff (insert sad face me).

Hi Cassel

Here is my next project...I used scrap kit from Brenda's Scrap Design Store on my project.  I used a photo of my dear friend who passed in 2019, miss her every day.  I drop shadowed all elements...at a higher number so that it shows better.

Still do am not getting the emails for the class in my new email.....:>(

Nonie

So Porthos of course is my muse for the boot camp.  In keeping with the "adventure" theme I went with a puppy dream of a perfect day at the park.  Bumble Bees, Geese, and Bunnies are some of his favorite things.     Since I tend to go with darker colors and the shadows didn't read well on project one, i changed the shadows to white instead of black and I think it made it look nicer.

Ann S., the answer to your question about the rectangular confetti might depend on which script you are using: the Confetti Maker will offer you the choice of square, rectangular or round confetti; the Punched Confetti script will make them round; and obviously the Custom Confetti will take the shape of whatever element you turn into confetti. Red Wolf really looks mean!!!

Marvin, good start! Although you don't need to change anything, just be careful with the shadows on the title. What you set is probably just the maximum usable to make the text still legible. If it were larger, it would probably distract from the shape of the letters. But yours is still ok to read.

Anne S., good start on your first project. There seems to be a shadow missing on the string. Is that possible? Also, another detail: you used the paint splash, and didn't add a shadow which is perfect since paint has no thickness. However, in the same train of thought, the paint would not appear on top of a thick element. They might do better under the frame.

Janet, that is a beautiful image and it looks like you used just solid colors from the photo. That is the simplest way to go and does not distract from the image. Some details about the shadows: your papers are likely thinner than the flowers, so to make them proportional, the offset for the paper shadow should be smaller than for the flowers (which would logically be thicker). I know, it is not obvious when you start. The next Masterclass will be all about shadows so keep an eye on the newsletter when registration opens.

Anne L., that is a great photo and well showcased. I love that border at the bottom. Can you share where you got it?

Neala, that photo and layout made me smile! I bet your friend appreciated it.

Susan, you did a great job with the shadows of the flowers. Glad you used the cheat sheet. And for your title, you are correct; it is harder to see on darker background. But your settings are probably correct. And you would love to see Sue Thomas' layouts: she has a lot of squirrels too!

Nonie, your shadows really don't look too much at all. They look right, although they typically should not have one ton top if there is one at the bottom.

Ravin, I see you are using white shadows on your project. Even though they show more on a darker background and they could achieve an "artistic" effect, if you want to be realistic, shadows always are black (or grey if they are not totally opaque). In using black shadows on dark background, you would need to use them either larger or more opaque than you would otherwise. So if I suggest a 60% opacity, you might want to use 80% or something like that. Using darker papers and elements is always a bit more challenging. Looking forward to more photos of Porthos.

Dennis, those leaves a used and shadowed very nicely. If you are using PSP2021, you could use the AI-Powered mode to size up your photo so you can showcase it better. And don't forget the shadow on the photo!