Travel Tale Challenge 2021

Cassel

Day 5 and full of stamps!  Three outstanding photos for each of my destinations.  Top to bottom - Brisbane, Hobart, Auckland.  I am such a brilliant photographer that I could not decide on one photo so I went with 9 of my best shots ... just kidding!  I am a photography dunce so you can imagine how grateful I am for all the amazing sites that offer beautiful freebie photos.  Thanks for takin a peek my friends.  ;D

Corrie: I love learning about my heritage - The Netherlands! The doors on the Tower of our Lady are magnificent. I can see seeking sanctuary there. I can't see your stamp very well (blame my upcoming cataract surgery) so if you could add it as an extra to your post I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Annie T: You've got me down to a "T" ;-) I am also photography challenged so Google is my friend, also. Picking up and moving to Brisbane was a fantasy when we were roughly 18-23 and not yet married. Adventure time! Most interesting your Postcard from Tazmania. That name invokes the Tazmanian Devil and I never realized it was so beautiful there. That handsome background is wonderful. Thank you for that enlightenment! Unfortunately I can't read your postcard at all; could you post it separately?

(See, now I asked both of you to help out this old lady. ;-) )

Ann, no problem, here is my stamp and it reads: nulpunt Rijksdriehoeksmeting Kadaster which translates approximately to: point zero trigonometry for landregistry. I can add: this is no longer used in daily landregistration because there were way to many mistakes made concerning the plus and minus. For that purpose the point zero lies now somewhere outside the Netherlands on sea, which makes that all of the country is now in the same quadrant. However it is still used for making clear where the north, east, south and west parts of the country are.

The coming pages will have more info on your heritage!

Annie, love your day 5 and 6!

I did my little assignment for today and probably will use it on my final layout but not today as I'm off to Sonya Anne's Birthday party.. she's now ONE.

Here's my Mark titled "Cheetah on a Termite Mound" and here's Sonya's birthday card courtesy of Cassel's script.

My day 6, again with a bit of history and the photos to match. I tweaked the template again to get what I had in mind. Same colorpalette and font. For better visibility I uploaded the postcard separately (Ann for you) and that font is Amsterdam, very appropriate for this project don't you think?

Sorry for not adding any comment last night. I am visiting my daughter and working on my grandson's birthday (you have seen images already in the newsletter). Friday, I had a fantastic last day at work, in a "meeting" with all the colleagues, at the boss' camping, toasting under the sun, playing along with various activities they had organized for me (I will tell you more later). Then, yesterday, we drove 3.5 hours to get here, then we went shopping for more supplies for the party. In the evening, I was so tired that I went to bed earlier than usual.

Annie, those tags you made are so original! I had not thought of using area outlines as basic shape. I am always amazed how everyone can start with the same technique and find creative and different ways to apply it. The stamps you made could very well be real! I remember seeing fantastic images on stamps when I was actively collecting them (I have not touched my collection for at least 30 years now!)

Gerry, that datestamp looks familiar! I love your pinked edge. Another amazing tweak on a common technique.

Ann, you definitely prove that one can tell amazing stories without TAKING pictures. Stock pictures can often fill in the blank because not everyone HAS photos or has good photos. About leaving your mark, would you do that in real life? I am not sure I would enjoy getting too close to a termite mount, but definitely not with a cheetah around!

Corrie, since your double page is resized, there is one detail I am unsure: for the stamps, do you have holes between them? If so, they look black (on the resized version). If that is the case in the full-size, it might be because the shadows could be too large and/or too opaque. Do you think it is possible? If you don't have hole and it is meant to be a black line, ignore my suggestion! :)

Day 7 is finished.  This is one of the beautiful mirror lakes in New Zealand.  I carved my name into a stone and tossed it into the lake for 'posterity'.  Kaleidoscope background with a couple of overlays and a texture.  Text on a path and reverse text on a path for Toni Morrison's quote.  Photo is courtesy of TripAdvisor.  Thanks for takin a peek dear friends.  ;D

Thanks Cassel! The tags worked fine but there wasn't much room on the north island of New Zealand to punch a hole ... if it were real I don't believe it would last too long, lol! Over the years there have been some fantastic stamps floating around. Australia Post did some amazing ones but they seem to be phasing them out now ... shame. :)

Corrie and Annie T: Thank you both for posting the postcards separately. My eye surgery is not slated until November so in the meantime I'm struggling a bit with smaller type.

Corrie, I really like your design with the darker background. I would love to visit your country some day.

Annie T, Tasmania is certainly beautiful! Until you posted the postcard I didn't know there was word art on the bottom right! The background used for the postcard layout is gorgeous. Did you create it?

Cassel: Congratulations on your retirement! Myself, I love it! (I really have to curb my tendency to use so many exclamation points!!) ;-)

Carole congratulations on your retirement and nice to hear your were send off with a party. I'm sure you will like your new "free time" althought I'm pretty sure it will be filled to the max very soon!

My stamps do have holes in them, but indeed on the resized version it is not very clear to see. On the full page there is no problem at all.

Annie thanks and I like your last day of the travel tale, beautiful!

Ann sorry to hear that your eye surgery isn't very soon to happen but you have made a lovely "trip"to Africa. I hope that you can visit my country sometime in the future, I think you'll love it!

JUNE FINAL BOTSWANA: I followed the style of the Safari layout but didn't use the template. It's only a motley collection of leftover photos - animals to the left and city to the right. The story of the famous diamond found that made the country's fortune. It does have the highest per-capita income in Africa. I used the June color palette to create ribbons using Cassel's Ribbon Factory. I was quite pleased with all the ribbons created with that palette. Only one is used on this layout. The font is Farmhouse. I'll also post my postcard along with the layout.

OK - Laurie helped me to split and here is the result.  The basic background and 2 papers on top will be used throughout this project.  The background is a google map of the middle of the country; the next paper is from Pixel Scrapper - Janet Kemp; the next paper is my creation (gradient green); the ribbon is from PS -Marisa Lerin; the clipart cars are my stash; the background paper for the 2 displays are my stash; the June 1989 stamp is the freebie from Cassel; the state silhouettes are from silhouettegarden.com colored by me; the date stamp on page 2 was created by me with the top text, bottom text and center year saved as a pspimage and all 3 are updateable; the arrow was color changed and is by PS-Marissa Lerin; the font used in all the descriptions is Bodoni MT Black, except Arial is used on the states.

Here is my date stamp Page for the Travel Challenge. I created my background paper by selecting a portion of one of the photos and then doing a gaussian blur. I then applied a pattern effect. I created the corrugated paper in Filter Forge, and I downloaded the word art from Pixel Scrapper.