BOOTCAMP March 2021

Cassel

Mary Solaas: I love your page! As you've seen, I'm into plaids from photos, also. A little tip: if you need to post a revised image or message, just click on EDIT on the top right of your post and you can make changes, including deleting an image and adding a replacement. The image will have an [X] on the top right to delete it.

I re-worked my page and add a few things.  I may have gotten it to busy but I like it.  Some of the elements came from Pixel Scrapper, the butterfly and the wire not real sure about the others.  I was not happy with the glitter going straight across the top of the pictures, so I re-did that, made two sections and merged them.

Now for project 4!!!!!

Ron, the indented replies is something I tried to implement but there is a but in the system that is then incompatible with posting images. I figured we wanted images more than indentations! But I am keeping my eye out for a fix! That starry background is certainly interesting and perfectly suited for the layout. Have you tried to add a little shadow to the letters on the title? I think that even a small one would make the letters stand out.

Sue, I'll have to recheck which post didn't show the image. Maybe I was looking with tired eyes!

Ann, really having fun with those plaids! Great shadows and layout.

Paul, simple yet effective layout. Are you planning all your pages to be rectangular?

Mary, another plaid fan! If your journaling is to be short, you might want to center it. If it is only missing a section on purpose to hide personal information, that is fine then. Glad to see that you caught the shadowing error yourself!

Anne B., you found great elements to embellish your page. Do you remember where you found them?

Fran, unfortunately, you cannot unmerge layers that were merged, however, if you look closely,  you could move the photos and the green mat slightly below and it will hide the part that is "missing" shadows. Because of the way you had layered the coral and the yellow papers, there is only the bottom of the coral that is missing it!

Hmmm. I understood that shadows weren't to be used on text so left as is. I could have taken more time but I tire easily. Will try to do better next time. Or, just post another effort for the same project using something like 3D letters. :P

Not sure whether you write your own code (PHP, C++, plain HTML5) or have used a complete site using premade templates customized as needed, but indenting replies where images can also be uploaded might be easier than you think. The site where I do free photo edits indent with a light line shown from the post being replied to down to the replier's post. I use the Insert/Edit Image (icon to right of insert/edit link icon) here in your HTML Editor instead of the "Upload Images" button at the bottom left. Seems to work so far but haven't tried when I do an edit to my post.

Just finished Day 7 Project 3 - Friendship. I used free items from Pixel Scrapper. Plaid paper and flower bouquet from Jessica Dunn, gold scroll from Janet Kemp, small pink and green flower from Marissa Lerin. The pictures, gold heart, and gold brown glitter are from my files and I made the green and tan background by using the dropper to come close to the colors of the plaid. The thing I found hard to do was adding the glitter after selecting the rectangle. I added a new layer but somehow ended up putting half of the glitter on another layer. Found that out later and had to redo everything.

I learnt a lot about drop shadows. I used to apply the same shadow to everything and never realized that there are so many interesting options. I enjoy looking at all the completed projects. Everyone is doing such a great job.

Wow again!  That was a lot harder, and took a lot longer, than I thought it would.  I couldn't find the "pick" tool, and thought maybe the "select" option would work (the words  mean the same:  I thought maybe Corel had just renamed the tool.)

Not so.  I fell down that rabbit hole for almost an hour, and had to shut down for the night and sleep on it.  In the  morning, I actually hovered over every icon on the desktop and spent maybe twenty minutes before I realized that the "move" tool (and its "this-is-not-the-pick-tool icon) also included the "Pick" tool in a submenu.  Once I selected the "pick" tool, the icon on the toolbar changed tot he "pick" arrow, and things proceeded mush more smoothly. I used the "help" feature (F1) but the website wasn't much help.  There was no mention that "pick" and "move" were grouped together, and that the icon would change to indicate the active tool.

Another learn-from-my-mistakes lesson.

Thank you Sue the Forsythia bush is really 3 bushes but they are large and that year they were the prettiest they have ever been.  We have to cut them back every year, they are over 50 years old.  The other 2 flower were given to me when my Mother passed away.

This is my design for the Bootcamp Day 7-Friends. These two grandkids have been friends since they were toddlers. I started working with PSP a month ago. It's amazing how easy things are now. Thanks Carole! You are a great teacher! I struggled a little bit with shadows on this one. When I applied the normal paper shadows, 10-10-10, they looked too dark for my papers, so I dropped the opacity way down.  I am not sure that was the right thing to do. I still have a lot of rookie questions, like- why are all my layers locked and I can't move them?? I am going to take some time and rewatch the setting-up of the workspace videos and then make a list of questions.

Peter, it gets easier! A month ago I was hanging on every word, watching and rewatching segments of the videos, while scratching my head and saying to myself, “Carole, how did you do that?” Although I had some knowledge of another graphics program, PSP was totally foreign to me. The more you work with the program the easier it gets.

Project 4 - Busy Bees

Ooohhhh Ann, I snagged your plaid. thank you. I love making plaids too. Love your layout.

I think everyone is doing fantastic. I should start making my own papers like Paul. I think that's brilliant.

Okay. Finally here is Adventure - Project 2?? I've lost track. Maybe I am getting too picky. got some help from Rookie??? Laurie on this one. Don't remember exactly what I've done since this has been a work in progress for too long!!

Love all that has been posted since I last posted. Everyone's doing GOOD.

Incidentally, The Glass Bridge is on the Hualapai Indian Reservation. The bridge is actually acryllic and not glass. They make you take off your shoes and put on booties that will not scratch the surface. You see down, down, down into the canyon where the Colorado River is just before making the bend into the border between Arizona and California. It was awesome! They also have a mock up of an old western town at the same place. There was a singing cowboy there who played some of the OLD western songs just for me. Loved it.

Sue Thomas, I really appreciated your comment. Thank you. It take me some time deciding how I was going to present three pictures on the same theme related to the old city. After the idea pop up, it take me longer to do the project. In general, it take me some time from beginning to end. So, your comment is very welcome.

Ron, you are correct that text does not need shadows because they are ink. However, in your layout, I would suggest using the Drop Shadow COMMAND to add some darkeness around the white text and not to make a "real" shadow. Something more like what is illustrated in this article about keeping text legible. As for the indented replies in the forum, I don't code anything and I am dependant on the Wordpress plugins to make the forum look the way it does.

Wendy, nice to see that your photos were sized correctly with no distortion. I would suggest that you move the flower element from the top slightly to the left or rotate it a little tiny bit, just so the text does not overlap the little "tail". Just a matter of realism. The Friends layout is great and colorful. I love that text background paper!

Anita, you are right: shadows have so many options to mean different things on a project. At first, it can be daunting, but with practice and observation, it will become easier.

Paul, I can see that you are already using different shadows for different elements on your page. That is something that is improving, isn't it?

Peter, if you feel stuck on any step, don't hesitate to post the question in the forum. We have members from all over the world so someone is likely up and able to help you quickly. And I agree that the Help (F1) is typically not very useful if you don't already know most of what you need to know.

Laurie, which layers are locked together? Typically, a shadow will be linked to the source layer, so they would move together. However if you are to duplicate a layer that has already a link, that link will also be duplicated so both layers will be linked. I am not sure if that is the case for you but it is a possibility. Could you post a screenshot of your Layers palette?

Mary, because of the topic of that Glass bridge layout, you might want to consider creating acrylic letters for the title. You should be able to find the instructions in this class. It is not part of the Bootcamp, but you can always edit later if you want.

Sue, I am always fascinated by your wordart pieces!

José, that is a great way to display that photo. I can see that you are already comfortable with the tools and are not distorting your photos.

Cindy, I see that you are using the frame in the right orientation now with the dog not being upside-down!