BOOTCAMP November 2020

Cassel

I don't have but 2 or 3 kits to work with. So I made my own background with a picture I had. My paper came from Antebellum free mini kit. Font for country living was Jack in the box and the date was done with brush script font. My question is after you finished and save as a PSP image then what do you do too save as a JPG? Do you flatten or flatten visible. I am just not sure what to do at this point. Now that I have posted my work I can see a couple things I could do a little different. Was wondering if the kit that is being used in the tutorials is available to us?

Pat, always save your original, with a the layers (including the vector copy of any text), in PSP. What I usually do is hide anything Vector, then merge a visible. I copy the merged layer and save it as a NEW IMAGE. Then I return to the original> Edit>Unmerge Layers, and resave, full size, as PSP, accept the changes and close it. Everything is there for me to play with if I choose. On the new Image, go to Image>Resize to (600x600 pixels, if square)>Save as JPEG, and note the size. Now you can upload that copy to forums, FB or any social media.

Carole gives us great critiques. If you see something you want to change on your own, or address a suggestion she makes, you can return to your original PSP version, which still has a the layers.

I'm not sure - but if Carole's tip today pans out, I am going to see if ControlD will copy a the layers. If so, you can simply hide your vectors, Merge all visible, then resize and save as JPEG a bit quicker!

Thanks Carol for your tips on drop shadows. Getting the proper parameters for just the the right shadow dimensions can be tricky. I do have the names of the kids on my home PC version of the scrapbook page but it's a personal policy to not post their names in online forums. Do you have any basic guidelines for drop shadows such as a paper element vs other objects with varying degrees of depth? Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

DiHiller_Nov2020_Corner04

Hi Carole,

I'm not sure what you are talking about on these leaves. I had two different pieces of clip art. DiHiller_Nov2020_Corner04 and DiHiller_Nov2020_Corner01. I didn't change the direction at all, only added drop shadow on both with same settings. Thanks in advance for your help. D

Vicki - here's a quicker way. Go to File/Export as a .jpg. The result will be automatically flattened but NOT your original .pspimage or .psd file, which will remain intact. I always duplicate my text vector layers and change to raster. They might be lost in a .psd. Photoshop doesn't support vectors. (I think)

Had problems with the color in the glass. I felt like I followed the instructions carefully (maybe a little more clarity for us beginners), but took 3 try's to get this. Have no clue why it worked on the 3rd try.

Glass

Carole, on my page 1 layout, no I don't have a date on the photo of my Mom. I may be able to make a guess if I look at some other photos.

Here is my page 2 layout. I used the same kit as page 1. This photo is also from my Mom's house. The neighbor took it as he flew over one day in June 1977. I put the pink square on it to outline the garden. It seemed big when I was a kid. And this photo confirms my memory!

Shirley, that is fine. Others often like to know where participants find great supplies :)

Raymond, I really didn't know all that about koi! Super interesting. My question about whether it was a project from the Bootcamp is just to help me keep track of how many projects from the Bootcamp each participant make (for the random draw at the end).

Anne L, great layout. And sometimes, it might not be the obvious photos we can expect but those from the little details that make a story more interesting.

Priscilla, yes, I tend to have some "starting points" as far as shadows are concerned. For papers, I will start with an offset of 10, an Opacity of 60 and Blur of 5. As the elements are getting thicker (like buttons, strings, beads), I will increase the Offset, and the Blur and reduce the Opacity. It is really a matter of practice and observation. You might start to notice shadows around you, on your desk, etc. For the personal details, it is quite ok not to include it in the posted layout. I just wanted to make sure YOU had it, even if only in YOUR version :)

De, what I am referring to is the fact that on that one clipart, on that last post, you can see the darker area at the bottom of the orange leaf. On your layout, that orange leaf has another instance, where that dark area ends up on the top:

Shewelah.jpg

For your glass (which is not part of the Bootcamp, for those who might wonder), maybe it has to do with the setting of the Fill tool?

Linda, that is such a cool photo to find! Great way to showcase that story.

Here is my Day5 Project#3

Again I used the kit "Winter Fun" by DiHiller - PixelScrapper 2017Feb.

I wanted to use the kit's flake elements, and although the day was cold, there was no snow on the ground. So, I added frost; and snow, following Cassel's and Corel's tutorials (How to add rain/snow); although it was not the perfect photo for this, I wanted to practice this technique.

Hi.  I am totally new to digital scrapbooks.  The last time I did a scrapbook of any kind, the pages were black or vanilla color and you used those black corners to glue the pictures down.  Since I don't have kits or goodies yet, I used mostly elements I already had to complete the first two projects.  They are really basic since I'm figuring out PSP and scrapbooks.  Here is Day 3 Project 1:

Cristina, nice and simple layout. That is a great example of how one does not need to add a ton of elements to showcase a photo.

Shirley, you used the glitters very well. It happens to everyone that a particular project does not seem to "hit" us the right way. Well, if you keep a pspimage version, you can come back to it later, in a few days, a few weeks or more, and maybe then, something will come up and inspire you.

Anne L. you found some fun items for your layout. May I suggest that you reduce the shadows on the title letters as they are fairly flat on the paper. It will also add a little definition if you increase the opacity a bit too.

Sandra, great use of the glitters. I also notice the "hand made" shadow on the curly ribbon. A small detail that adds realism.

Margo, welcome to the Campus and the Bootcamp. As your first digital layouts, I would say I am impressed! You even managed to use the shadows correctly, which is often a challenge for beginners. Were you already familiar with PSP?

Jacques, that will be a fun layout to share with Guido when he grows up! You are really getting comfortable with those projects!

Out of 100+ registrants, only 15 have posted anything. Where is everyone else?

I thought I would try to use small bird images instead of the flower, mmmmm........just a little tooooo "girly" for me as Carole stated. Smile. I also thought I would try an element for the letter B and by using the transparency lock tool was able to darken it and with the Drop Shadow made it a little wider? The pictures were from my 3 broods of bluebird nests I was fortunate enough to have this year. I feed them mealworms in a hanging feeder on the back porch and they stay the winter. I started with 2 pair last year, had 12 fledglings but I think most of them find other housing so as not to interbreed.