Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

Project 4.  Background started out as an internet image for Flamingo Wallpaper you can purchase for your home (in what room would you put that LOL???) which I completely transformed to make a pattern for my paper. Butterflies were from ps_elif-sahin, watermelon heart from Janet Kemp, Barcode from Marisa Larin, the striped ribbon was modified from one got from Flolinette-PBS, the other I can't remember but it was modified and originally from digitalscrapbook.com.  The dragonfly, I found on the internet.

large.Project4.jpg.0200ec93b091976c11cca5fa4ffc09bc.jpg

• Love 13

12 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Jacques Lacerte I have heard from the designer and she gave me a different link so if you try again, it should be fixed.

@Cassel: My photos have a resolution of 3000x4000 pixels. When I copy and paste them as a layer and adjust them to the project, they seem to lose "precision" and pixels appear. Is this normal?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jacques Lacerte said:

@Cassel: My photos have a resolution of 3000x4000 pixels. When I copy and paste them as a layer and adjust them to the project, they seem to lose "precision" and pixels appear. Is this normal?

No, it should not. Do you see the photo at the same zoom level? A 3000-pixel photo is quite large and typically, for these projects, you will have to resize them. What is the Resampling you are using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

No, it should not. Do you see the photo at the same zoom level? A 3000-pixel photo is quite large and typically, for these projects, you will have to resize them. What is the Resampling you are using?

I found my mistake: It was when I put my background paper which was not in the right format. All my other images were distorted. I will redo my project. Thank you

• Like 1

Day 6 I've used bees in the past, so this time I switched to butterflies. All of the butterfly photos were taken by me at a beautiful butterfly house. The single monarch is an extraction from a photo sent to me by my grandson. I made the background papers using FF and changing the colors for the papers. The stripes were made with cass stripe 2. I made the scatters using cass script scattered elements. The stars, flowers and butterflies were from my kits. The font is Cute Dots from CF.

dsbutterflies600.jpg

• Love 10

Project #4

I continue to use my photos from California and to me it is amazing to see the wide variety of flowers there when I take a stroll through the neighborhood where my family lives. All the papers are from Rachel M Hailey; the butterflies are from the Meadow bundle by Jessica Dunn and the scatters from Marissa Lerin. The fonts are Impact and My Butterfly. No pinky shears for me, I like scallops more. I mirrored the layout from the lesson because my photos are more tilted to the right and this way is more pleasing to the eye, at least to mine. As always the most time goes to selecting the photos which is a pleasure!

Bootcamp-#4-600.jpg

• Love 10

This was my fourth attempt to finish this assignment.    When I went to the file folder to find and add the next element, it would shut the program down. After the 3rd time, I ended up restarting the computer.   Finally, it went pretty quickly/smoothly and I finished.  If you can check out the frames on each of the photos, you can see that it is not a solid frame.  Using the flood tool,  I had to click each spot to get the white to attach, and as you can see, the white still did not fill in on all the spots. Not sure why this happened, but it was consistent thru all 3 prior attempts as well.  But in the end, I liked the camo effect so didn't mind that it didn't work as it should have.  My grandson will love that I did this assignment for him.

BusyBee600.jpg

• Love 11

@Teresa Hicks Great to see you join in. Great work on your sandwich. You see how layers are so important in PSP!

@Daniel Hess You definitely worked hard on that layer with all the tweaking of the original supplies you used!

@Jacques Lacerte Great layout and I see you used the pinked edge technique. For the shadowing, I would suggest you reduce it on the flat elements (photos, papers and ribbons) so they won't look like they are floating above the background. That large and blurred shadow is ok for the bees, which would be expected to be above. Just have a look at that, and IF you feel like testing this idea, you can try it on your own (no need to repost). I am glad you found the explanation of the image quality.

@Leslie Gifford CookI see that you started the pinked edge away from the page edge. To avoid the "un-pinked" section to show, you can slightly move the paper to the left and it would hide that original edge. I would also suggest that the shadows be a little smaller and more opaque. If all the elements are made of paper/cardboard, they would not be THICK.

@Donna Sillia Nice shadowing. I wonder if the frames are separate from the photos? With the bevel, that is the impression it has. If so, maybe you can move the photos behind the frames AND their shadows. That would give even more volume to the frames.

@Corrie Kinkel Great idea to mirror the layout. It shows an understanding of "balance". One thing that caught my eye is the shadow on the bottom left flower. Is it possible that it is under the paper? I see the shadow on the bottom, but not on the right side.

@Clarine The issue with the filling of the frame is usually the Match Mode for the Fill tool that is set to something other than None, OR the "Use all layers" is checked. I should add that information to the page because you are not the first one to have that challenge.

Let's hope to see even more projects tomorrow! Keep them coming.

Day 7 - Project 3

The papers and flower are from a mini kit by Marjan De With that I obtained in the Nov 2018 Blog Train. I made the scatter using Cassel's Punch Confetti script. For the glitter, I took a maroon glitter paper from Marisa Lerin, added a layer on top with the foreground/background gradient using the maroon and green from the papers, and changed the blend mode to Hue. The title font is Romantic Crafty and the text font is Segoe Print.

large.Day70107600.jpg.5ffb91441681b4eba3d71b3a58b33929.jpg

Edited by Michele
  • Love 9

16 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Teresa Hicks Great to see you join in. Great work on your sandwich. You see how layers are so important in PSP!

@Daniel Hess You definitely worked hard on that layer with all the tweaking of the original supplies you used!

@Jacques Lacerte Great layout and I see you used the pinked edge technique. For the shadowing, I would suggest you reduce it on the flat elements (photos, papers and ribbons) so they won't look like they are floating above the background. That large and blurred shadow is ok for the bees, which would be expected to be above. Just have a look at that, and IF you feel like testing this idea, you can try it on your own (no need to repost). I am glad you found the explanation of the image quality.

@Leslie Gifford CookI see that you started the pinked edge away from the page edge. To avoid the "un-pinked" section to show, you can slightly move the paper to the left and it would hide that original edge. I would also suggest that the shadows be a little smaller and more opaque. If all the elements are made of paper/cardboard, they would not be THICK.

@Donna Sillia Nice shadowing. I wonder if the frames are separate from the photos? With the bevel, that is the impression it has. If so, maybe you can move the photos behind the frames AND their shadows. That would give even more volume to the frames.

@Corrie Kinkel Great idea to mirror the layout. It shows an understanding of "balance". One thing that caught my eye is the shadow on the bottom left flower. Is it possible that it is under the paper? I see the shadow on the bottom, but not on the right side.

@Clarine The issue with the filling of the frame is usually the Match Mode for the Fill tool that is set to something other than None, OR the "Use all layers" is checked. I should add that information to the page because you are not the first one to have that challenge.

@ Carole, I had a look at that shadow and luckily I have it on a separate layer, force of habit. The shadow really is there and not under a paper. In the layers palette it is right under the photo layer. No idea what happened, maybe it has something to do with my PSP acting strangely and suddenly shutting down. I didn't had that specific problem for some time now, hopefully it was a hiccup and not something structural again. I removed the shadow and did it again and now it is there, strange!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cassel said:

Thank you for your comments, Carole. I was very unhappy with the scatter and font colors on the original. I created a new scatter using VectorPaint and VectorTube. The used shadows on each layer of the scatter before merging since I didn't like how they looked on the merged file. I created a coneflower tube from a coneflower downloaded from Canva. I also tried to fix how the pictures looked. All shadows have been saved on their own layer for future adjustment. The Butterflies font is from CF. The glitter in the scatter is from a brush downloaded from Deviant Art.

dsbutterfly600.jpg

• Love 7

Glad to see more projects posted!

@Euka It is interesting how you added the pinked edge to the sign! Very creative!

@MicheleYou got a great result with the glitter and the blend mode. That is a great way to get a gradient effect!

@Ann Seeber You are making us discover an interesting illustrator. I never heard of her before.

@Leslie Gifford Cook I am glad this bootcamp can refresh some tips you already knew. A refresher is always useful!

@Corrie Kinkel I wonder if the resizing caused the issue. Were you checking on the full-size project?

@Jacques Lacerte I would not know how to even get started with Painter, but PSP has a lot of power to it, and with many tools, there is so much you can do. 

@Donna SilliaIs the font that you used for the title called "Butterflies"?? If so, I'll have to go look at it in larger size as it does not show much butterflies in the resized version.

The last project will be linked tomorrow. For those who started late, you will have time to catch up! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Carolyn Rye said:

Day 9. I decided to keep featuring my little fur boy.  I also added my very handsome grandson.  This photo was taken about 9 years ago now.  My Grandson loved Bundy.  I have added 2 photos as I did have a little trouble just getting the outcome that I was happy with.

Day 9 Always Loving600.jpg

Day 9 Always Loving2 600.jpg

I like what you did with the rope in the 2nd one.  Nice job.

• Love 1

Day 9 - Project 4

I absolutely adore this photographer's work. If you're on Facebook, you should check out his page. He goes under 501 North Photography and has some amazing pictures of the Aurora Borealis. I decided to share some of his barn shots.

I created an uncharacteristically (for me) muted layout so the pics could be the real stars. I used a bunch of supplies from the ALFLT Blog Train Jan 2021. The title font is Xpressive and the text font is Sugarstyle Millenial.

large.Day90105600.jpg.2b5c8f760e02e422e13ba4043ce4caf4.jpg

• Love 9