August 1-2-3 Challenge (2024)

Cassel

spacer.png

Let's make things a little fun for you. Are you looking for ways to spark your creativity and still create something meaningful? This will be a fairly regular challenge for you. Every time, you will be given instructions to use 1, 2, and 3 of something. Would that be more than you usually use? or less? Let's see. Create a layout using :

• 1 streamer
  • 2 metallic words
  • 3 knots on ropes (it could be one rope or more than one)

You can create those elements or use what you currently have in your stash. Showcase any photo, use any template (if you want). Just make sure you include the required elements.

10 hours ago, Cassel said:

spacer.png

Let's make things a little fun for you. Are you looking for ways to spark your creativity and still create something meaningful? This will be a fairly regular challenge for you. Every time, you will be given instructions to use 1, 2, and 3 of something. Would that be more than you usually use? or less? Let's see. Create a layout using :

• 1 streamer
  • 2 metallic words
  • 3 knots on ropes (it could be one rope or more than one)

You can create those elements or use what you currently have in your stash. Showcase any photo, use any template (if you want). Just make sure you include the required elements.

I'm sure I have  seen a tutorial on making knots, where, for the life of me I can't remember where it was.   I have one of your knot scripts that I could use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cassel said:

🙂

My hand is getting to shakey to do a decent job drawing with the pen tool using a mouse these days.   Athough I used a cass rope, It looks more like  string, and hides the shakiness.  I went with a goldy metalic title.  Created the  curly streamer, placing it under the flowers.   I will  remove the  flowers, streamer and knots  to make room for some info at a later date.   

I have only ever photographed 2 birds with their uropygial gland exposed.  Also known as the preen gland.  It secretes an oily fluid which the bird uses in preening its feathers.

Challenge  Sunbathers.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

Here is the shot of  a female Robin sunbathing on the 30 July, with the  preening gland exposed, opening dorsally at the base of the tail feathers.   For those that are interested, I will post  the photo on facebook for better viewing. 

Robin sunbathing 30 July.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • WOW 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

My hand is getting to shakey to do a decent job drawing with the pen tool using a mouse these days.   Athough I used a cass rope, It looks more like  string, and hides the shakiness.

When you use the Pen tool, what value does the Tracking have? I find that if you start with a value around 60, the shakiness is not "captured" by the program as much as if the Tracking is much lower.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cassel said:

When you use the Pen tool, what value does the Tracking have? I find that if you start with a value around 60, the shakiness is not "captured" by the program as much as if the Tracking is much lower.

That will expalin the shakiness then.  I checked the tracking and it  was set 8.  Usually it's set at 40. Don't know why it was as low as 8.  I know I have a steady hand for everything else I do.  I will redo the knots, using a tracking of 60 plus.   Thank you.  I didn't notice that the tracking was that low, and that the tracking would effect the shakiness.  I thought, blimey I'm deteriorating quickly! lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sue Thomas said:

That will expalin the shakiness then.  I checked the tracking and it  was set 8.  Usually it's set at 40. Don't know why it was as low as 8.  I know I have a steady hand for everything else I do.  I will redo the knots, using a tracking of 60 plus.   Thank you.  I didn't notice that the tracking was that low, and that the tracking would effect the shakiness.  I thought, blimey I'm deteriorating quickly! lol

Now, you can breathe again! 🙂

• Like 3

Here is the updated version.  The pen tool gave me a lot of grief earlier, until Carole suggested using a high  tracking.  I didn't know where to put it so I stuck it in the corner.

Sunbathing birds challenge .jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 8

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Here is the shot of  a female Robin sunbathing on the 30 July, with the  preening gland exposed, opening dorsally at the base of the tail feathers.   For those that are interested, I will post  the photo on facebook for better viewing. 

Wow, I never knew this.  How cool and interesting.  Thank you. Must not be an easy thing to capture.  Those little LBJs are so fast as everything they do.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Wow, I never knew this.  How cool and interesting.  Thank you. Must not be an easy thing to capture.  Those little LBJs are so fast as everything they do.  

My subjects are  rarely  cooperative, they are after all wild and free spirited.  Which  makes photographing wildlife  a challenge. Always having to seize the moment, which  makes life interesting. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

That probably explains my problems and the following dislike of drawing with the Pen tool too. I'll have a look at my settings! 

• Like 3

On 8/3/2024 at 10:37 PM, Cassel said:

You are such a great problem-solver.  I had a similar problem with the Step value when using brushes. I don't know how you keep so much information in your head.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Cassel I never thought to look at the tracking!  Wow! What a difference.  Could we have a workshop or something to give us practice on just using the pen tool??????

That might be part of another Vector workshop?

I am sure I have mentioned the Tracking at some points, but can't remember in which tutorials.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I am sure I have mentioned the Tracking at some points, but can't remember in which tutorials.

22 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Yes, you have mentioned it.  In the masterclass Playing with Vectors.  Which is an older masterclass.  Thinking back, I set the tracking to  a higher number, which is where it has stayed. Unknowingly to me I must have had a gremlin change it to  8.  Of course I didn't  think to check the tracking.  I thought my steady hand was failing me.  Many of the earlier masterlasses and other tutorials are worth revisiting. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 5

On 8/3/2024 at 10:47 PM, Sue Thomas said:

My subjects are  rarely  cooperative, they are after all wild and free spirited.  Which  makes photographing wildlife  a challenge. Always having to seize the moment, which  makes life interesting. 

Lately I grow my subjects, then cut their little heads off...that way they cooperate. 🤣 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I thought my steady hand was failing me.  Many of the earlier masterlasses and other tutorials are worth revisiting. 

That is why I started adding some references to past blog posts and classes in the newsletter. 🙂

• Like 5

On 8/3/2024 at 9:22 PM, Sue Thomas said:

I feel a bit like a voyeur looking at this. But what a photo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

That is why I started adding some references to past blog posts and classes in the newsletter. 🙂

The way I see it, and  please, I'm not being critical, only my observation, and the way I work.  I feel that all the early tutorials, mastercalsses, creative scrap, and blog has covered the majority of techniques and tools. Of course newer versions introduced new tools, all of which you  have addressed.  It seems to me that  in many of the newer tuts, masterclasses you are going over  what you have already covered. Also in my view many of the questions asked in the Q&A, are answered  in previous tuts etc.  It appears to me it is far easier to ask the question rather than  spend some time to search out the answer in the wealth of information provided. Whilst,  doing a search you get to see and pick up little things along the way.   The campus has grown beyond  anyones expectations.  In all honesty, I find the  it all overwhelming on occassions.  Adding some references to past  posts and classes is a great idea.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I feel a bit like a voyeur looking at this. But what a photo!

Oh Julie! There isn't anything sexual about the  photo.  I'm not even going to ask what ran through your mind when you saw the photo.  🙂 lol

• Haha 3

Since I am a Diamond member, I downloaded both the pdf and the mpr of Playing With Vectors Master Class.  The very end of the mp4 mentions the upping of the Tracking # in the pen tool.  This is not mentioned however in the pdf version.  Anyway.  Thanks for the update for me.  I love what you do, Carole. I guess I'm going to also go to the Master Classes as well as the Labs.  Will I ever catch up??????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • WOW 1