Newsletter chitchat - July 16th, 2024

Cassel

My local library is a member of the Ramapo/Catskill Library System which has 50 participating libraries in the Hudson Valley. I've done Libby but get annoyed with the wait for an e-book! I can't understand why a download would be limited. I usually use Book Bub which markets low-priced e-books. The most expensive is around $5.00 or less. I saw Carole's softcover priced at $40 whereas the Kindle I bought was $9.99. There's usually a dramatic difference between paper and digital. My Kindle collection is running to nearly 1000 books and I'm so glad I don't have to shelve them at home! Most cost less than $5.00 each. I shop the bargain bins!

'

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

My local library is a member of the Ramapo/Catskill Library System which has 50 participating libraries in the Hudson Valley. I've done Libby but get annoyed with the wait for an e-book! I can't understand why a download would be limited. I usually use Book Bub which markets low-priced e-books. The most expensive is around $5.00 or less. I saw Carole's softcover priced at $40 whereas the Kindle I bought was $9.99. There's usually a dramatic difference between paper and digital. My Kindle collection is running to nearly 1000 books and I'm so glad I don't have to shelve them at home! Most cost less than $5.00 each. I shop the bargain bins!

'

I have a scrapping friend on another forum that has a librarian husband. She mentioned in a thread about Kindles/ebooks that an ebook has a limited number of "uses" both for the number of people using it at one time and the overall number of times it can be used. Once it reaches its limit, it is taken out of circulation and usually replaced.

I get the email newsletters from BookBub and BookGorilla daily. Some of those free books have gotten me interested in new to me authors. My favorite genre these days is cozy mysteries and I've found lots of good authors thru those newsletters. I also love authors that write series books and a lot of cozy mysteries are series. Win for me!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I love the State of Ohio eBook Project. Thankfully, my small county library system is a member and I can download the books I want to read.

I just put a book on hold... I'm #566 in line for a book that has 258 copies available. Guess everybody wants to read "Hillbilly Elegy"!

I watched "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix. We are fortunate to have JD as a Senator in Ohio. He is extremely knowledgeable and articulate. His story is inspiring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

I watched "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix. We are fortunate to have JD as a Senator in Ohio. He is extremely knowledgeable and articulate. His story is inspiring.

@Donna Sillia In the same vein, you might try Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead, which is also about Appalachia. It is quite inspiring and won the Pulitzer last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a pity that most of the libraries that have e-books are not open to people from abroad, you have to be resident in their area. Probably understandable but it means I have to buy my English e-books. Of course I can get e-books from my own library but they don't have that much in English and I have the feeling that I have read the most appealing  of them already.😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

'

I wonder if Book Bub is available in Canada? I won't buy books unless the price is reasonable. Thirty dollars for a book I will read in 2-3 days just isn't worth it to me. I also get really annoyed when I'm informed I'm No. 137 on one copy! Why don't they offer more than one if the book is popular? I belong to several libraries as well so the selections are usually pretty good.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

I don't have Netflix so never saw it. I agree we are fortunate and I was torn about whether he should be the VP pick or not. I live about 90 minutes from the town he grew up in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I wonder if Book Bub is available in Canada? I won't buy books unless the price is reasonable. Thirty dollars for a book I will read in 2-3 days just isn't worth it to me. I also get really annoyed when I'm informed I'm No. 137 on one copy! Why don't they offer more than one if the book is popular? I belong to several libraries as well so the selections are usually pretty good.

From their website: BookBub is a free service that helps you discover books you'll love through unbeatable deals, handpicked recommendations, and updates from your favorite authors. BookBub doesn't actually sell books.

I get their email newsletter and it has books listed on it that are free or low cost but I have to click on a link to actually get to the book (usually on Amazon) to buy it. You can set up the email to only send recommendations for the books you are interested in. The newsletter is free as is signing up for an account. Bookbub.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Look what was waiting for me when I got home a while ago! And guess what I'll be doing this evening? So exciting.

That looks strangely familiar!! 😉

I got my copies today, even though their ETA was June 24th! Woohoo!

• Love 4

15 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

The most expensive is around $5.00 or less. I saw Carole's softcover priced at $40 whereas the Kindle I bought was $9.99. There's usually a dramatic difference between paper and digital. My Kindle collection is running to nearly 1000 books and I'm so glad I don't have to shelve them at home! Most cost less than $5.00 each. I shop the bargain bins!

Yeah, I was disappointed when I saw the price it cost to print a full-color book but I can't imagine this book in black and white. Not only is there the printing cost, but Amazon also takes a cut of the rest. Even for the Kindle books!

• WOW 2
  • Sad 1